Give Murphy the job

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Give Murphy the job

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got back from the game. What everyone wants is for the club to win games again so the first thing is to get some stability.
Geordan is working hard but what the Board need to do is tell us and the players he is not the “ interim coach” but The Head Coach.
Main priority is now to secure our place in The Premiership.
The talent in this team is there but today the body language was poor after the first try.
Defence coach- sit behind the posts each week end( yes I remember Chalkie White on the cinder bank) and watch the alignment or non, of our defensive line.
Pay Geordan the respect and also pay him the Head Coach salary!
Long term plan needed not more sackings.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Give Murphy the job

Post by WiggoTiger »

GET THIS DEFENCE COACH IN ASAP PLEASE :smt038
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No,keep him interim, especially with the quality of coaches that could appear after the WC! Get Mike Ford in on a short term contract too so the potential clearout is easier.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I see "stability" is the new buzz word, personally I want someone that is up to the job first and foremost
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:32 pm No,keep him interim, especially with the quality of coaches that could appear after the WC! Get Mike Ford in on a short term contract too so the potential clearout is easier.
If I were to call you an “interim” supporter, you would find it insulting, but yet you feel it’s appropriate for Murphy who has given 20 years of total commitment to the club.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm GET THIS DEFENCE COACH IN ASAP PLEASE :smt038
Dave Ellis on the way - apparently?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has he done enough to deserve the job FT or shown enough to make believe he could turn the corner if given the job FT? No. I'd rather this than give him the job then have to fork out another payoff. And I'm sure if he does turn it around this season he will get the gig anyway. He's still on trial and giving him the FT gig would only cause more embarrassment,if that's possible,if we carry on like this and have to part ways. The RWC is next year too and theres the potential of sounding some top coaches out. I say stick with how it is,I'm sure GM will feel he doesn't deserve the job yet anyway.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

David Ellis? When was the last time he was involved in top level rugby?!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Personally, I think GM needs to win a few more games...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

He needs to win A game :smt005
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

teds wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:32 pm No,keep him interim, especially with the quality of coaches that could appear after the WC! Get Mike Ford in on a short term contract too so the potential clearout is easier.
If I were to call you an “interim” supporter, you would find it insulting, but yet you feel it’s appropriate for Murphy who has given 20 years of total commitment to the club.
Does the reason for the interim tag (ie, to essentially avoid having to sack Murphy if it doesn't work out at the end of the season) need explaining again? :smt017
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’d give him the job, with a senior defensive coach like Ford or this ex-league bloke, that gives him some experience. We’ll bounce back from this, it’s just a question of time.

During the Champions Cup off weeks, Tigers can do some team-bonding exercises then.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Don't forget - "We are checking the world for a defensive coach that's the right fit"
That means - GM as DOR and someone who is cheap enough and has no ambition to take his job away from him.

Apparently the board was going to make an announcement after last weekends game
So the right fit is taking time....

Meanwhile...............back at the ranch - the fences are down and the stock is escaping to pastures new and the ranches don't know how to go about the job of either fixing fences or rounding up the stock.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I respect Murphy he is a thoroughly decent bloke and a legendary Tiger. That said, for him to succeed at this juncture for someone of his unproven experience is sheer madness. I have no doubt he can become a very good coach but this is neither the right time or job for him to turn the Titanic around.

Murphy has been thrown under the bus by the board after a succession of disastrous appointments that has left left us in this mess, because they are incapable and/or unwilling to appoint and pay for that worldclass DOR that we were all promised years ago!

The board must act immediatley and decisively to save our great club while we still have one!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
nasher

Post by nasher »

Do the players have the final say? Is there a correlation between the decline of the playing standards and the assent of Cohen? Cockers should not have been sacked but helped. Cohen always appeared to consult "the senior players" before appointing a coach/DOR and Mauger and M oC were disastrous errors presumably endorsed by the same Senior players.
Time to end this farce Peter Tom stop sitting it out and do something.