Give Murphy the job

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Give Murphy the job

Post by ellis9 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am I respect Murphy he is a thoroughly decent bloke and a legendary Tiger. That said, for him to succeed at this juncture for someone of his unproven experience is sheer madness. I have no doubt he can become a very good coach but this is neither the right time or job for him to turn the Titanic around.

Murphy has been thrown under the bus by the board after a succession of disastrous appointments that has left left us in this mess, because they are incapable and/or unwilling to appoint and pay for that worldclass DOR that we were all promised years ago!

The board must act immediatley and decisively to save our great club while we still have one!
Then appoint who as the new Head Coach/DOR?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:54 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am I respect Murphy he is a thoroughly decent bloke and a legendary Tiger. That said, for him to succeed at this juncture for someone of his unproven experience is sheer madness. I have no doubt he can become a very good coach but this is neither the right time or job for him to turn the Titanic around.

Murphy has been thrown under the bus by the board after a succession of disastrous appointments that has left left us in this mess, because they are incapable and/or unwilling to appoint and pay for that worldclass DOR that we were all promised years ago!

The board must act immediatley and decisively to save our great club while we still have one!
It makes me laugh, when folk comment about tactics or that a player isn't good enough they get told that they are amateurs and to leave it to the pro's, but when they comment about appointing a coach they get asked who!
Does anyone actually know what they are doing! :smt017
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:07 am

It makes me laugh, when folk comment about tactics or that a player isn't good enough they get told that they are amateurs and to leave it to the pro's, but when they comment about appointing a coach they get asked who!
The people that ask for coaches to be sacked, generally don't. They never give names of who we could get to replace a sacked coach and then usually respond with "It's not my job to appoint a new one" not realising that it's not their job to sack the coach either but it doesn't stop them suggesting it.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:37 am

The people that ask for coaches to be sacked, generally don't. They never give names of who we could get to replace a sacked coach and then usually respond with "It's not my job to appoint a new one" not realising that it's not their job to sack the coach either but it doesn't stop them suggesting it.
I could suggest McCall, folk would likely say that we would stand no chance of getting him, but how do we know if we don't try and not hard enough!
There are plenty of high quality coaches about all over Europe who are on an upward curve, putting a high quality group together is the biggest hurdle and neither the desire or the nous to do so would appear to be evident enough here!
The other big mistake Leicester are making is that they are securing the players before the DoR/coaches, it should be vice versa, the DoR in my opinion comes before the coaches and the coaches before the players, and then the player will be the right fit for what that DoR wants to implement through his coaches!
Last edited by BFG on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:03 pm

I could suggest McCall, folk would likely say that we would stand no chance of getting him, but how do we know if we don't try and not hard enough!
There are plenty of high quality coaches about all over Europe who are on an upward curve, putting a high quality group together is the biggest hurdle and neither the desire or the nous to do so would appear to be evident enough here!
The other big mistake Leicester are making is that they are securing the players before the coaches, it should be vice versa, the coach comes before the player, and then the player will be the right fit!
You've named one coach. You glossed over others by saying "there are plenty of high quality coaches all over Europe" so who are they?

Also, how do you know we haven't tried hard enough to get McCall?
Last edited by ellis9 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:03 pm

The other big mistake Leicester are making is that they are securing the players before the coaches, it should be vice versa, the coach comes before the player, and then the player will be the right fit!
You've named one coach. You glossed over others by saying "there are plenty of high quality coaches all over Europe" so who are they?
You are a pedant in my opinion, there are hundreds coaching at the top level all over Europe, go and get them and make it happen!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hundreds of coaches? All ready to take the Head Coach role at Leicester?

Really?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 pm Hundreds of coaches? All ready to take the Head Coach role at Leicester?

Really?
Yes hundreds of coaches, that is what I wrote, do you need it repeating over and over and over again! :smt015
As for your second question, in my opinion Leicester need a proper DoR, and then a coaching team put in place by the DoR and of his choice, forget the head coach malarkey, that's simply continuing to dodge any accountability for failure and won't address the issue of no leadership or direction!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm
ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:10 pm Hundreds of coaches? All ready to take the Head Coach role at Leicester?

Really?
Yes hundreds of coaches, that is what I wrote, do you need it repeating over and over and over again! :smt015
As for your second question, in my opinion Leicester need a proper DoR, and then a coaching team put in place by the DoR and of his choice, forget the head coach malarkey, that's simply continuing to dodge any accountability for failure and won't address the issue of no leadership or direction!
So you're saying there's hundreds of coaches for Tigers to choose from to form a coaching team under a DOR?

Ok then, so who do you appoint as DOR? Are there loads of those for us to pick from too?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cheika,White,Deans,Joseph,Gatland, Hansen. Let's think big! Questions marks over some of them granted but we need to start acting like one of the biggest clubs in Europe!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:05 pm
BFG wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Really?
So you're saying there's hundreds of coaches for Tigers to choose from to form a coaching team under a DOR?

Ok then, so who do you appoint as DOR? Are there loads of those for us to pick from too?
I'd go after the likes of Jerry Flannery for DoR with Paul O'Connell as forwards coach and Murphy as backs coach.
There are choices all over Europe to chase!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

We've already missed out on two in Van Graan and Ackermann and if we were looking at poaching someone how about McFarland at Ulster.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm Cheika,White,Deans,Joseph,Gatland, Hansen. Let's think big! Questions marks over some of them granted but we need to start acting like one of the biggest clubs in Europe!
Cheika?! No thanks. Don't rate him.

Hansen apparently wants to spend more time with his family.

Jamie Joseph? Lack of English rugby knowledge.

Gatland will want the NZ job so how long would we have to wait to get him? When will NZ appoint their successor?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I suppose it all depends on Schmidt . But as for Joseph I'd never turn down a great coach like that just on that criteria,rugby is rugby! How much English rugby did Ackermann know?!
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm Cheika,White,Deans,Joseph,Gatland, Hansen. Let's think big! Questions marks over some of them granted but we need to start acting like one of the biggest clubs in Europe!
Personally, I'd steer away from Southern Hemisphere people. The way they want the game to be played isn't the way I think we should go if we want to be successful.