Dear Murphs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by Scott1 »

I've got tickets for the Quins game,I'm 50/50 at present.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Its amazing no one ever mentions the role that Rory Underwood and Ben Kay haved played in this unravelling mess. They are both non executive directors responsible for rugby matters and its astonishing to me that they continue to dodge the proverbial bullet. The Teflon duo!!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Flash

Post by Flash »

The problems seemed to start when the BoD were telling to DoR how to select his coaching team and that gave the team mixed messages. Since then player turnover ha been huge and players are being forced to go before they're contract is up. If you know the club don't gave their own players backs that must affect spirit. The board need at but more distance with the playing side and the coaches and players need stability to build a team spirit.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm Look individually at our best Xv & compare with Exeter, you wouldn't swap many
In the backs maybe but forwards? I'd take Williams, Jonny Hill, Armand, Dennis, Simmonds and Kvesic any day. Give me Cordero for Thompstone as well while I'm making a wish list. Then there's their vastly superior bench to factor in.
Last edited by CitizenSmiff on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

For those of you suggesting getting rid of Murphy is the answer, I advise you read Ellis Genge's interview. Getting rid of coaches and players is one of the reasons we are struggling.

I think sacking Murphy could be the final nail in the coffin.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

If we had a coach lined up then maybe. But I don't know if any coach is actually available. We certainly shouldn't sack him for the sake of it, without a plan of who to appoint. However come late January if we are struggling and in a relegation battle I won't be surprised at all.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:45 pm Because there's no such thing as a world class coach with AP experience! So why scour the world for one? Doesn't add up to me!
There might be. He's at Edinburgh. We used to employ him.

As for all this Murphy being a failure rubbish, considering our failing is essentially the same every game - we have periods where we leak tries for fun - it's quite possible that GM can't fix it with the tools (ie coaches) available. He's evidently going to get an international class defence coach/consultant. Only then can we realistically pass judgement.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

For once I totally agree with Ellis9, sacking Smurphs is not the way to improve, neither am I am sure Ellis is the answer (not talking about E9) to our defence issues. What I am convinced about is that unless we sort out out defence, we will continue to lose. I do believe that we have the players to start winning again but I am worried that we will not be able to keep them. Dave Ellis is an experienced defence coach as is Mike Ford but one is the current head coach at Kenilworth and the other might not want to get involved.

As for today's attendance, and for that matter, all season, it is so easy now to get a ticket for a game, why have a season ticket at all other than to sit in the same place???? I cannot remember when the stadium was last really full which begs the question is the stadium to big?? I know facilities need to be improved but a stadium which is really only 2/3 full does not generate a great atmosphere.
Hehehehehehehehe
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

The atmosphere today was non existent. Considering I had a 200 minute drive in both directions it was very disappointing. I know the players thought that we would turn it round back at our place but they were poorer than they were in Paris.
Individually there are some very good players in the squad but they are not a cohesive team. Selection mistakes and the loss to injury of Telusa and Denton to injury are not helping.
The next game against Quins will be vital and if we don't turn it round, there should be major changes, including JM.

I am sorry to say that, he is a great favourite of us all but I don't think we will have any choice.
A life long Tiger
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

We have two options,
1) we sack Murphy and let the cartel of the Fords, Youngs, Tuilagis and Cole run the coaching as they seem to be all powerful at the club and the BODs are in their pockets, why is George Ford the captain, answer because he chooses to be.
2) we get rid of the cartel, keep Murphy and let him recruit the players he thinks will turn it around, Murphy was a teammate of them and I don't think he has the support of them.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The Wallabies have appointed Scott Johnson (from the SRU) as their new Director of Rugby. The same role he has filled for Scotland since 2013.

Michael Chieka remains in his role, but reports to Johnson.

If it's good enough for Australia...........
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm interested in hearing from those who are 100% behind Murphy- what does failure looks like? What point would have to be reached before he was shown the door? I'm not being facetious I'm genuinely curious.
tripeandonions
Tiger Cub

Post by tripeandonions »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:36 pm
newport tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:25 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 pm Pity we didn't hang on to that bloke who took Toulon from 6th to Top14 final, struggling Scots side to Pro14 KO and now tops Pool 5 in Europe. :smt003
I don't remember him losing EIGHT games on the bounce either, come to think about it i don't remember any previous coach losing eight on the bounce. So what exactly is the criteria for sacking a coach?
Sacking coaches without consideration for who the new coach would be or the long term plan is what got us into this mess.
Holding a referendum on whether or not to leave the EU without having any plan for how and on what terms to leave in the event of a "Leave" vote?? Are Leicester Tigers secretly being run by the Tory party??
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BigDan50 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:57 am We have two options,
1) we sack Murphy and let the cartel of the Fords, Youngs, Tuilagis and Cole run the coaching as they seem to be all powerful at the club and the BODs are in their pockets, why is George Ford the captain, answer because he chooses to be.
2) we get rid of the cartel, keep Murphy and let him recruit the players he thinks will turn it around, Murphy was a teammate of them and I don't think he has the support of them.
Why is Manu in with them?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

The club is failing from top to bottom because we are a business plan.....
Players are here for either CV status or money.The Board needs to look at themselves and be honest with the fans.
The silence is deafening and when we do hear from them its the same old story. Sorry the fans/supporters demand more.
The Head Coach/DOR is a poisoned chalice., becoming the football merry go round with instant success or failure.
The club has been in a long term downward spiral that will take an equally long term of recovery. So in my estimate 3-4 seasons.
Where are we then? Championship - ring fenced out? Unable to qualify for Europe ???
Defensively we are a mess. Coaching alone - the players should be knocking seven bells out of each other when defensive mistakes happen. They are professional and should act accordingly. Not run to the press and play the blame game.
Get rid of the dead wood. Those that don't wish to play for the shirt- get rid and lets start from new growth.
International shirts mean more to some than the team shirt.Either that or they know they will be dropped if they perform poorly.
We need to be ruthless now .Or suffer the humiliation further. Worst run in Prem- Most points conceded per game in Tigers history - failing to make the next stages of Europe again. Well done to all involved.
And the posters will be blamed for not getting behind the team/club. :smt013 :smt013
Murphy alone is not responsible for this mess but should be given time to get us out of it. Leo Cullen didn't get it too easy at Leinster but has proved himself with a good staff and board.