Dear Murphs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by Scott1 »

Yes you could be right but if I remember correctly,AP experience was ever mentioned in Cohen's initial interview and added later. Happy to be proved wrong on that one or it becomes very convenient!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Because there's no such thing as a world class coach with AP experience! So why scour the world for one? Doesn't add up to me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:45 pm Because there's no such thing as a world class coach with AP experience! So why scour the world for one? Doesn't add up to me!
It didn't because they wanted MOC from the beginning.
MOC was Tom's choice for coming in, and he had the BOD support and some players.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

part of me fears the club will never truly be right until there is a new BOD and that won't happen as they people on the BOD see ity as a status symbol and won't let go of it freely
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So are we saying it was smoke and mirrors by Cohen? We paid money out for a recruitment team we didn't need?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:52 pm So are we saying it was smoke and mirrors by Cohen? We paid money out for a recruitment team we didn't need?
You mean the ex agent and lawyer Cohen would never use smoke and mirrors?
Yes we did pay them, they came back with all coaches on their books, and we said nah we want MOC anyway basically.

Wouldn't be surprised if for some reason the board thought they might've recommended MOC from the off.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

All this squealing about them at the top, sack Murphy, don't sack Murphy, sack the board etc I feel missed the point. People cry for stability but we've not had stability on the pitch leave alone off it.
We went wrong as soon as Ford came back. We'd got to the stage where we had Burns and Williams. None of whom were international class but good enough to be ever present for the club during international breaks. Substitute that for Toomua and Ford which may have worked had Toomua not got injured and then done a u turn on his international aspirations.
Our recruitment, by design, luck or circumstance has not yielded a squad with sufficient depth to cope with the inevitable farce of losing players to international duty and maintaining stability in key positions.
Other sides are not as good individually but have retained a togetherness that gets them through difficult fixtures.
What I'm trying to say here, perhaps badly, is we need depth in the squad so that we don't lose so many in the internationals and maintain some kind of continuity.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

people still moaning about Burns and Williams neither of whom were ever fit for a sustained period of time, the latter of which left for a huge wedge in Gloucester and Burns hasn't even nailed down the starting spot for Bath since his move there either
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes but I honestly don't think we'd be any worse off if they were both still here and Mauger was in charge!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Sadly it's the stability of players and coaches we haven't had thats costing us. The days we won stuff we had a strong squad skill wise and mentally.
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm Sadly it's the stability of players and coaches we haven't had thats costing us. The days we won stuff we had a strong squad skill wise and mentally.
Thanks wiggo.....just what I was trying to get at. A strong, stable squad with the depth to cope.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm All this squealing about them at the top, sack Murphy, don't sack Murphy, sack the board etc I feel missed the point. People cry for stability but we've not had stability on the pitch leave alone off it.
We went wrong as soon as Ford came back. We'd got to the stage where we had Burns and Williams. None of whom were international class but good enough to be ever present for the club during international breaks. Substitute that for Toomua and Ford which may have worked had Toomua not got injured and then done a u turn on his international aspirations.
Our recruitment, by design, luck or circumstance has not yielded a squad with sufficient depth to cope with the inevitable farce of losing players to international duty and maintaining stability in key positions.
Other sides are not as good individually but have retained a togetherness that gets them through difficult fixtures.
What I'm trying to say here, perhaps badly, is we need depth in the squad so that we don't lose so many in the internationals and maintain some kind of continuity.
I get shot at for wishing we had kept the Burns/OW squad. Tough competitors with flair and not off to internationals. Note that Genge said the squad was gutted when they shoved Betham, Lachie, Slater etc off. Methinks the Youngs/Ford axis are in charge here, not GM.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Sadly that's what is costing us week in week out
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:26 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm All this squealing about them at the top, sack Murphy, don't sack Murphy, sack the board etc I feel missed the point. People cry for stability but we've not had stability on the pitch leave alone off it.
I get shot at for wishing we had kept the Burns/OW squad. Tough competitors with flair and not off to internationals. Note that Genge said the squad was gutted when they shoved Betham, Lachie, Slater etc off. Methinks the Youngs/Ford axis are in charge here, not GM.
does anyone know how long is left on Ed Slaters contract with Gloucs?

Oh and a strong DOR/Head coach wouldn't let Youngs/Ford call the shots, unless of course you mean the board were letting them
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:16 pm Yes but I honestly don't think we'd be any worse off if they were both still here and Mauger was in charge!
TBH I think AM was a symptom of the problem. Some players were fed up with the Cockers 'grind them down ' and 'no stars' approach and off we went for SH style champagne rugby. It should have worked but AM too close to the players. Result was vinegar, not champagne.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.