Dear Murphs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by strawclearer »

I could lay claim to some pretty convincing credentials as a Defence Coach. I once coached Marcus Rose - a former England rugby union international full back who gained ten caps between 1981 and 1987. However - he was 12, I was 16 and it was just the once, at school.

So - I know less than nothing about rugby coaching. However, when I hear Geordan say "It wasn't system errors but simple one-on-one tackle misses and they are good enough to execute and kill you" - then I start to really worry.

When the defensive system quite clearly isn't working - and it must be clear because even I can see it - one has to realise that missed tackles are the result of a poor defensive system - they are not to be used as an excuse for that system.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG won't agree with me lol but defence is an art these days, there's a reason Andy Farrell has beaten the AB with 3 different teams! I feel sorry for Deacon really but he does need to be replaced and quick!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Just back from the game - what a load of rubbish. Defence, hopeless again, Racing were racing straight through us. Game over after 22 minutes, like so many others I've had to sit through this season. Mr Murphy and all the other coaches except Stanko, get your coats! :smt019
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Aye because Dai Young is working wonders with Wasps currently..
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The problem in defence today was players not trusting each other. Manu races out of a well set defence and Racing score.
The lineout woes continue, cost us last season and cost us today and last week- not Murphy’s fault.
Quins will be expecting to win next week so Tigers need enforcers on from the start: Williams, Wells, Genge, Thomson surely have to start.
No use moaning anymore: take the players out for a curry and a few beers tomorrow and remind them how good they are.
Simple!!! Or not.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Cancel their Christmas break!! Training on Christmas and boxing day
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

No use moaning anymore: take the players out for a curry and a few beers tomorrow and remind them how good they are.
Simple!!! Or not.
Once obvious flaw there is that they are not that good...

Also to talk about stability when Tigers are getting made to look silly week in week out is just daft, stable at the bottom of the table?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Evilad

Post by Evilad »

Just to put my two pence in.
I don't think that Geordan has done a bad job, it seems that he can only do so much, without the support from those above. For what it's worth, I think the BoD have one last chance to appoint a top quality DoR, who is allowed to recruit they're own coaching staff, and give that coach 2 seasons in charge. I know it has been said in the past that Tigers don't do rebuilding seasons, but at the moment it's imperative that we do. If a DoR is supported in his decisions by the board, and what they say goes, ( no player power), then judge them on results. Yes, it will upset some, yes we might not play great rugby for a while, but I hope this would give us some light at the end of a very long, dark tunnel
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Get in new half backs. Messrs Young and Ford are surplus to requirements. Let Manu move on, and a few of the others who don't want to put in a full shift. We DO need a new DoR Then there are those two ------- on the board who are helping to wreck our club.

Right now I am fuming, so I had better stop saying any more
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:26 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:07 pm All this squealing about them at the top, sack Murphy, don't sack Murphy, sack the board etc I feel missed the point. People cry for stability but we've not had stability on the pitch leave alone off it.
We went wrong as soon as Ford came back. We'd got to the stage where we had Burns and Williams. None of whom were international class but good enough to be ever present for the club during international breaks. Substitute that for Toomua and Ford which may have worked had Toomua not got injured and then done a u turn on his international aspirations.
Our recruitment, by design, luck or circumstance has not yielded a squad with sufficient depth to cope with the inevitable farce of losing players to international duty and maintaining stability in key positions.
Other sides are not as good individually but have retained a togetherness that gets them through difficult fixtures.
What I'm trying to say here, perhaps badly, is we need depth in the squad so that we don't lose so many in the internationals and maintain some kind of continuity.
I get shot at for wishing we had kept the Burns/OW squad. Tough competitors with flair and not off to internationals. Note that Genge said the squad was gutted when they shoved Betham, Lachie, Slater etc off. Methinks the Youngs/Ford axis are in charge here, not GM.
Swapping Slater for May, just on a player basis, was good business with May being an international winger.

But in the grand scheme of things it was obviously an awful decision. Slater, the club captain, being thrown out for another player. Betham and McAffrey forced out. This obviously fostered the poisonous atmosphere that seems to still be prevelant at the club. No player loyalty. Bearing in mind how much Glynn is being paid, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out this would have been the outcome. Where did anyone evaluate the consequences of this decision before it was made? Such arrogant and black and white thinking in believing this was acceptable behaviour and wouldn’t have had any negative impact.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WiggoTiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:17 pm Sadly it's the stability of players and coaches we haven't had thats costing us. The days we won stuff we had a strong squad skill wise and mentally.
Go back to Kardooni / Harris. Healey / Goode.
Ellis/ Flood......very good, but not quite good enough for England. Couple that with some pretty good players in the centre. Gibbo, Howard, Kafer, Teflon, Ollie Smith. All fringe internationals or overseas players committed to us for a season and you have stability.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Players in, players out... it’s the business of the business and it happens everywhere. Right now we are stuck in a rut and we are losing games through first half defensive lapses against teams that man for man aren’t that much better than us. Pretty much all teams have to go through phases like this before they can stabilise and only once there is stability, a team can become effective.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

25tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 pm Players in, players out... it’s the business of the business and it happens everywhere. Right now we are stuck in a rut and we are losing games through first half defensive lapses against teams that man for man aren’t that much better than us. Pretty much all teams have to go through phases like this before they can stabilise and only once there is stability, a team can become effective.
Players in / players out has been managed badly IMHO...... someone needs to pay for that and a fresh look is required
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm
25tiger wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 pm Players in, players out... it’s the business of the business and it happens everywhere. Right now we are stuck in a rut and we are losing games through first half defensive lapses against teams that man for man aren’t that much better than us. Pretty much all teams have to go through phases like this before they can stabilise and only once there is stability, a team can become effective.
Players in / players out has been managed badly IMHO...... someone needs to pay for that and a fresh look is required
I think recruitment has been a mixed bag in recent seasons, we’ve signed some great players and some great players have moved on. Sometimes it’s just how it works out eg. Goneva (barely showed up in his final season here), Slater (plagued with injuries and not guaranteed a first team place)
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:22 pm Absolutely agree! As for being unstable,a top DOR would fix it! It's in their arsenal,that's why they are top DORs lol
I disagree - look at what's happened at Stains. They have a top DOR from the SH and they're below us in the table.