Dear Murphs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Dear Murphs

Post by G.K »

Well Murphs is still here and lo an behold it got worse. Is he taking his leadership ideas from Appeaser May?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

G.K wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:41 pm Well Murphs is still here and lo an behold it got worse. Is he taking his leadership ideas from Appeaser May?
While I don’t agree with your statement, I do like the nickname. :smt023
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

GM is to be DOR. Head coach will be announced after the World Cup thats the good news. Bad new Tigers won't get relegated so there will be no real change at the club but expect an underserved token sacrifice.

Players, well what of the Players that went to the board demanding RC to be sacked...these are the same players that are out there producing sub standard performances and are here to pick up the wages at the end of the week. How do you motivate these guys? well you can't, GM has no chance the only option is to show them the door.

Against Bristol we saw probably the worse display of the season. No offence to Bristol but they shouldn't be leaving Welford Road with a win. On paper we are the best team, on the field only 8, 10 and 15 looked the part. Even our set piece failed to dominate at times..

Leadership on the field, well Ford tried to get the players to raise their game but had little effect. Our one true leader was in the stand desperate to play. We need senior players to step up but who in the forwards could step up?

New signings, well the idea we can sign average players and turn them into very good players as Tigers have done in the past is to believe in Santa, it only works if you have an excellent coaching team. We seem to still be looking at the MOC idea of a forward, one who can win the contact area, that big brute. Unfortunately you have to get to the contact area to win it. The game as changed, you still need your BB but forwards need to be fast. They have to defend against the opposition's backs who will exploit any lack of pace. They also need to tackle. Sadly very few of our current team are prepared to put their body on the line and we are top of the table when it comes to missed tackles.

So what next, well if I were a Player reading this I'd be angry and hurt if I had any pride. Prove me wrong go out there and put in a performance that the supporters, those men and women that pay your wages, those supporters that turn up week after week often standing in the rain and cold can be proud of!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

NONAME wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:08 am GM is to be DOR. Head coach will be announced after the World Cup thats the good news. Bad new Tigers won't get relegated so there will be no real change at the club but expect an underserved token sacrifice.

Players, well what of the Players that went to the board demanding RC to be sacked...these are the same players that are out there producing sub standard performances and are here to pick up the wages at the end of the week. How do you motivate these guys? well you can't, GM has no chance the only option is to show them the door.

Against Bristol we saw probably the worse display of the season. No offence to Bristol but they shouldn't be leaving Welford Road with a win. On paper we are the best team, on the field only 8, 10 and 15 looked the part. Even our set piece failed to dominate at times..

Leadership on the field, well Ford tried to get the players to raise their game but had little effect. Our one true leader was in the stand desperate to play. We need senior players to step up but who in the forwards could step up?

New signings, well the idea we can sign average players and turn them into very good players as Tigers have done in the past is to believe in Santa, it only works if you have an excellent coaching team. We seem to still be looking at the MOC idea of a forward, one who can win the contact area, that big brute. Unfortunately you have to get to the contact area to win it. The game as changed, you still need your BB but forwards need to be fast. They have to defend against the opposition's backs who will exploit any lack of pace. They also need to tackle. Sadly very few of our current team are prepared to put their body on the line and we are top of the table when it comes to missed tackles.

So what next, well if I were a Player reading this I'd be angry and hurt if I had any pride. Prove me wrong go out there and put in a performance that the supporters, those men and women that pay your wages, those supporters that turn up week after week often standing in the rain and cold can be proud of!
100% with you. There are players out there let go by tigers who must be ashamed of what they see in the attitude of many of the current lot. Did anyone ever see Lewis Moody pull out? Neil Back? Thorne? Slater? Salvi? Johnson? Cockerill?!! Dosser? Wells?
Amongst the new crop of signings announced, only one will be envied by other clubs. Of the rest, the best I read is "versatile", which means not quite good enough in several positions. We have enough of those already. Hope springs eternal though, I've just seen the Pat Howard thread.
Carver510

Post by Carver510 »

I agree with a lot that has been said, but I don't understand why people keep suggesting that GM will become DOR with a "world-class coach" coming in as Head Coach. Surely the more experienced person would become DOR? I can't see any "world-class coaches" coming in and working under GM, who is still new to this.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So who is this world class DOR coming in?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 pm So who is this world class DOR coming in?!
Whilst there has been numerous calls for us to sign a truly world class DOR, no one knows if we shall or indeed who it would be. It remains a pipe dream.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Was NONAME just projecting then?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Carver510 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 am I agree with a lot that has been said, but I don't understand why people keep suggesting that GM will become DOR with a "world-class coach" coming in as Head Coach. Surely the more experienced person would become DOR? I can't see any "world-class coaches" coming in and working under GM, who is still new to this.
Spot on.
His coaching career thus far has not suggested anything that merits keeping him as head coach, skills coach or in any senior coaching role.

Talk of DOR is nonsense.

Go away, learn to coach at a lower level and perhaps one day come back when his appointment can be justified on performance grounds, rather than just because he is ex-Tigers and a nice guy.
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

Carver510 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 am I agree with a lot that has been said, but I don't understand why people keep suggesting that GM will become DOR with a "world-class coach" coming in as Head Coach. Surely the more experienced person would become DOR? I can't see any "world-class coaches" coming in and working under GM, who is still new to this.
It does happen, for example Stuart Lancaster joining Leinster to work for Leo Cullen who at that stage had just one years experience as forwards coach before becoming Head Coach (they don't have a DoR). (Note: I am not claiming that Lancaster is world class, but he is a lot more experienced than Cullen).

That appointment seems to have worked out quite well but imagine the outcry if Leicester made a similar appointment to Lancaster after the world cup. Personally, I think it is not about it having to be a foreigner, tigers, non-tigers or anything else, it is about the right appointment at the right time and that only becomes apparent after two or three years of improvement and sustained success.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've just come to the conclusion now that we should just stick a fork in us,we are done! We are with the bottom feeders now just trundling along,we might perform next season but if we do it will be more out of luck than a plan that's been executed. Well done board,another dejected,defeated fan here!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Noname wrote
Sadly very few of our current team are prepared to put their body on the line and we are top of the table when it comes to missed tackles.
That is because they saw what happened to people like Lewis Moody who did just that. The "do or die for the team" ended then.
The team spirit and ethos we had in spades was destroyed by stupid man management. Cockers, take a bow.

How we get it back I don't know, but we sure as hell won't prosper until we do.
A life long Tiger
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Smudge wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:14 pm Noname wrote
Sadly very few of our current team are prepared to put their body on the line and we are top of the table when it comes to missed tackles.
That is because they saw what happened to people like Lewis Moody who did just that. The "do or die for the team" ended then.
The team spirit and ethos we had in spades was destroyed by stupid man management. Cockers, take a bow.

How we get it back I don't know, but we sure as hell won't prosper until we do.
not having that half these players weren't playing when Moody left Tigers
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

To be honest I’m fed up of the notion of a “World Class DoR”, my guess is the board will only go as far as Daryl Gibson, but I wouldn’t be confident of him.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh God another ex tiger!!!