Quins must win 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins must win 23

Post by Scott1 »

Spot on TTRITH,Marlers an international and Lion and Sincklers supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and all they did was continuously go straight to ground and try to con Pearce as much as possible, incredibly he did fall for their shenanigans once or twice but thankfully it didn't matter in the scheme of things!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Whether it was Gustards instructions or an onfield decision I can't stand teams who don't come to scrummage,Diamonds Sale are the same! They are not as bad now but Henry Thomas was an embarrassment at times
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:39 pm Forwards fronted up, and the backs exploited the gap and the space. Players playing the referee.

Maybe he should be looking at his front row, who turned up and did not want to scrummage. Not too hard to see that they saw that as our only strength and tried to nullify it. Sending Sinkler out to wind up Genge also massively backfired, as Genge just got on with the game.
Yes Genge seems to be managing that side of his overall game well now; long may it continue....whilst he is with us! Although what I know about scrummaging could be written on the underside of a gnat's whisker.
As Good As It Gets
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 pm Spot on TTRITH,Marlers an international and Lion and Sincklers supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and all they did was continuously go straight to ground and try to con Pearce as much as possible, incredibly he did fall for their shenanigans once or twice but thankfully it didn't matter in the scheme of things!
From where I was sitting, they seemed to win the penalties for early engagement. I'd put money on the fact they were stepping back. The referees looking at the bind and the scrum half won't see them take a step.

I forgive referees a lot of scrum time errors, it's a horrible thing to referee. I remember sitting in a talk with Cobus Visagie as part of a "how to coach the front row" and it turned into a bit of a Q and A where he went through a lot of the dark arts. He said what the RFU and other unions need to do is get retired props to come in and teach the referees about how to scrummage, because then they will know what to look for.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't think any of us will ever fully understand scrummaging scuttle! You just pick little things up over the years watching games and talking to players and coaches etc. You can tell the difference between a player going straight to ground and a wily old prop softening the hit so his opponent overextends and goes to ground. Quins were doing the former. I remember Paul Hill doing the latter to Genge last season and having success.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:50 pm Whether it was Gustards instructions or an onfield decision I can't stand teams who don't come to scrummage,Diamonds Sale are the same! They are not as bad now but Henry Thomas was an embarrassment at times
Ah yes but Thomas is a much better prop now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:04 pm I don't think any of us will ever fully understand scrummaging scuttle! You just pick little things up over the years watching games and talking to players and coaches etc. You can tell the difference between a player going straight to ground and a wily old prop softening the hit so his opponent overextends and goes to ground. Quins were doing the former. I remember Paul Hill doing the latter to Genge last season and having success.
What I find amusing is the assumption that Leicester never do these things and everyone else does.
TPN provides a very solid base to scrummage alongside at a realistic height, when it fits it just does, in terms of scrummaging hookers at Premiership level he is a beast.
OTY isn't far off him with that competitive nature, but I could easily find you a better one from an army barracks, or a scaffolding site! :smt025
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Who said we didn't take part in the dark arts? Genge is still a bit naive at scrumtime yet but is a very destructive and aggressive scrummager. Let's let Cole lock out the scrum and let Ellis attack their TH,our scrum is far better imo when we get at the opponent's front row. R92 scrum was statistically the best in the Europe and we had them in all sorts of trouble when we went after them and Genge bettered both their two TH imo.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Any idea what the PT was given for at the end of the game?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:50 pm Any idea what the PT was given for at the end of the game?
It wasn't a pen try. Just a try and quins declined the conversion in order to restart and try toget a lbp
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:02 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:43 pm Spot on TTRITH,Marlers an international and Lion and Sincklers supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and all they did was continuously go straight to ground and try to con Pearce as much as possible, incredibly he did fall for their shenanigans once or twice but thankfully it didn't matter in the scheme of things!
From where I was sitting, they seemed to win the penalties for early engagement. I'd put money on the fact they were stepping back. The referees looking at the bind and the scrum half won't see them take a step.

I forgive referees a lot of scrum time errors, it's a horrible thing to referee. I remember sitting in a talk with Cobus Visagie as part of a "how to coach the front row" and it turned into a bit of a Q and A where he went through a lot of the dark arts. He said what the RFU and other unions need to do is get retired props to come in and teach the referees about how to scrummage, because then they will know what to look for.
It was much easier with a passive engagement.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

TTRITH wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:02 pm

Isn’t the front row union a bit like the Magic Circle? - once a member, sworn to never divulge its secrets?