Quins must win 23

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Quins must win 23

Post by drc_007 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm I don't really see the main problem as the back row, its in the centres where the opposition just run straight through us. One other fault I see is an individual charging up to make the tackle, being side stepped then setting off straight down the middle with no one bringing him down. Problem is definitely our defense and the failure to make the tackle! Are our centres holding back, afraid of getting hurt and spoiling their International chances? Makes you wonder! Any way, better watch out, Mike Brown is back to his very best, as he says in the DT.
Not sure the problem is the centres.
The first racing try was the result of several errors and missed tackles on the Tigers line.. The second was the result of a Thompstone error, he did not even attempt a tackle let alone miss it. The third was due to Tigers forwards being too far apart on the Racing 22 allowing Russell to skip through. The last was due no Tigers forward being designated to guard against a quick 22 drop out.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Murphy confirms a flu has been going round which means "a number of players" are off ill. It will be "interesting" to see who gets on the field, he adds.

Jordan Olowofela is now available, as is Jonah Holmes. Mathew Tait and Telusa Veainu are still out injured.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh I would put money on Matt Toomua being out, and Hardwick playing 12.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:27 pm Yeh I would put money on Matt Toomua being out, and Hardwick playing 12.
Did Hardwick play 80 mins for development side?
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I bet Murphy needed that like a hole in the head....i wonder what team will be put out?? and who is out? Another thought, surely the team would have all had their flu jabs??
There is never any points for 2nd place...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm I bet Murphy needed that like a hole in the head....i wonder what team will be put out?? and who is out? Another thought, surely the team would have all had their flu jabs??
...only those who are 65+ years old or who believe they are pregnant. :smt003
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm
mol2 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:38 pm I'm not sure the problem is the injury to Denton.

The existing back row players O'Connor, Kalamafoni and Thompston are good enough and probably as good as he is as individuals.

We just aren't a team and haven't been for several years.
That back row seems decent until you compare it to the other back rows in the Premiership. Kalamafoni particularly, works hard but where would you rank him against his peers?

Is he better than any of these:

Faletau
Vunipola
Simmonds
Hughes
Morgan
Luamanu
Nagusa
Brussow
Strauss

It's fine saying X is a good player, but that's not good enough if almost everyone else has better.
I doubt most Tigers fans have seen enough of those to say. They'll have certainly seen a lot more of Kalamafoni.

Vunipola and Faletau are the two from the list that stand out for me based on their career form. After that Kalamafoni stands up well against the rest IMO. But that's without doing a full study looking at video tape for hours on end.
Kalamafoni is a fine player, but maybe suited more as a blindside flanker or backup backrower than starting 8. He was awesome against Bath last season, but that seemed to be a one off performance.

Maybe Denton will be the starting 8 next year, the position he prefers and would definitely rate him with the better eights in the premiership. He’s a hard carrying 8 who will get us over the gainline and great in the lineout. Du Preez brother at blindside maybe?
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:42 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:05 pm

That back row seems decent until you compare it to the other back rows in the Premiership. Kalamafoni particularly, works hard but where would you rank him against his peers?

Is he better than any of these:

Faletau
Vunipola
Simmonds
Hughes
Morgan
Luamanu
Nagusa
Brussow
Strauss

It's fine saying X is a good player, but that's not good enough if almost everyone else has better.
I doubt most Tigers fans have seen enough of those to say. They'll have certainly seen a lot more of Kalamafoni.

Vunipola and Faletau are the two from the list that stand out for me based on their career form. After that Kalamafoni stands up well against the rest IMO. But that's without doing a full study looking at video tape for hours on end.
Kalamafoni is a fine player, but maybe suited more as a blindside flanker or backup backrower than starting 8. He was awesome against Bath last season, but that seemed to be a one off performance.

Maybe Denton will be the starting 8 next year, the position he prefers and would definitely rate him with the better eights in the premiership. He’s a hard carrying 8 who will get us over the gainline and great in the lineout. Du Preez brother at blindside maybe?
Agree he looks perfect for blindside, I also think the lack of big ball carriers in the Tigers pack means opposition can afford to put two players marking him.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:02 pm I bet Murphy needed that like a hole in the head....i wonder what team will be put out?? and who is out? Another thought, surely the team would have all had their flu jabs??
Only works on specific types of flu but definately not on colds. :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 pm
So the way we have been playing that should cover the whole squad then????!!

I just want to see some pride and battle on Saturday. Some heart and a bit of a never say die attitude. A bit of dog and other clichés that suit this sentence... Some old fashioned Tigers grit..A win and I don't really give a (naughty F word) how but a win to get some confidence.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

I've never had flu in my life until, working for the NHS, I was badgered into having the jab. Never been so ill in my life! Never had one since and no more flu. Just saying😁
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

drc_007 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:44 pm
LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm I don't really see the main problem as the back row, its in the centres where the opposition just run straight through us. One other fault I see is an individual charging up to make the tackle, being side stepped then setting off straight down the middle with no one bringing him down. Problem is definitely our defense and the failure to make the tackle! Are our centres holding back, afraid of getting hurt and spoiling their International chances? Makes you wonder! Any way, better watch out, Mike Brown is back to his very best, as he says in the DT.
Not sure the problem is the centres.
The first racing try was the result of several errors and missed tackles on the Tigers line.. The second was the result of a Thompstone error, he did not even attempt a tackle let alone miss it. The third was due to Tigers forwards being too far apart on the Racing 22 allowing Russell to skip through. The last was due no Tigers forward being designated to guard against a quick 22 drop out.
It would also help if we won a line out occasionally! Or found a way to stop the driving maul! Or didn't give away so many stupid penalties! Fact is the whole thing's a mess.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Lets hope it is flu and not other reasons.Flu you can eventually get over...

Interesting to see which team submitted and who steps up to the plate .Could be a time to influence GM as to which team he is developing for the future.
He has already used the Academy to give a mixture of youth and experience and rewarded them with first team selection.
Something absent in the recent seasons.
So bring it on and lets have a Roar and not a meow. :smt023
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

You 'll be delighted to hear that I have got it sorted. Or at least I can, with authority, state what the problem is.
It's the back row. Hold the front page, it's the half backs, no wait it's the centres. Definitely the centres. Oh, it just may be the defensive structure. No, it's the failure of the lineout. Or maybe individual errors, that'll be it. Individual errors. Loss of confidence would explain it wouldn't it? At last something we can blame. The FLU!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:10 pm
On current form thats the match day 23 then :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat