Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Quins must win 23

Post by wellstiger »

If we lose I am cancelling Christmas.
If we lose the squad should cancel Christmas.
I've had to work hard over Christmas for the last 30 yrs . If we lose so should the squad.
Bah Humbug

(aka) The Grinch) :smt013 :smt013
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 am
NONAME wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:08 pm Win looking at Top 6...lose looking at relegation, such is the premiership this season.
I’m hoping us, Saints and Quins get some consistency to drag ourselves into the Top 6 and not leave the Premiership so tight and muddled up, it’s not good for the game. Bristol will stay up, for me the real relegation contenders will be Sale and Worcester, both have class first teams but the weakest squad depth in the Premiership.
First point- Why do you want Saints to get into the top 6?!

Second point- Why is a tight, mixed up league not good for the game?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Genge and Cole vs Marler and Sinckler..... :smt016 :smt016 :smt016

It must be Xmas! :smt111
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 am Clarification and some certainty in the squad over the immediate future of Murphy could be a boost for training in the squad.
We may be surprised just how important this is to the players. Building a cohesive working relationship with a coach who may not be there in the future could be difficult.
As Good As It Gets
25tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 25tiger »

Need a big first 20 today, endless physicality in defence and faster ball than we’ve had all season to stop the Quins’ stifling defence. Expecting a 5 point win :smt023
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 am Genge and Cole vs Marler and Sinckler..... :smt016 :smt016 :smt016

It must be Xmas! :smt111
Yes I'm looking forward to that, if only they could have a proper dust up like in the "good ol' days"!!

I would expect Mike Brown to be really fired up as well, he desperately wants that England 15 shirt back.

As many have said, we should win at home in front of what will hopefully be a big crowd, but any result is possible in these strange times......but the weather is great and it should be a fantastic game of rugby, really looking forward to it!!
Soggypitch
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

The worry for me today is can we fix the holes in defence? I’m sure we will be ‘up for it’... huge game, Xmas fixture, GM confirmed HC, lots of chest-beating...

But Quins are going to properly test our D-fence. They’ll know where the gaps have been. Agree first 20 mins are critical. We need something to build on, obvs. For starters, can we retain concentration for 80 mins and keep 15 on the pitch? And it depends what Quins team turns up... hopefully the one that lost home to Bath and away to Bristol, not the one that beat Exeter and Gloucester... intriguing...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Right shower time! Worried about today,Quin's will comfortably expose any holes we leave and I expect to us to concede a TBP again,the big question is can we score 5/6 trys today? Travelling more in hope than expectation...
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The supporters need to do their bit too and create an atmosphere to help the players along. We've been a lot flat in recent times (for obvious reasons) but it's time for us to step up and create some noise and a positive atmosphere (ok, I can live in hope that will be the difference, but Christmas is a time of miracles (so they say))
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:04 pm Right shower time! Worried about today,Quin's will comfortably expose any holes we leave and I expect to us to concede a TBP again,the big question is can we score 5/6 trys today? Travelling more in hope than expectation...
Precisely!
Several things Leicester haven't done well, two of which is turning their attacking pressure into points and kicking for territory.
Defensively conceding less silly penalties will help, no point in kicking well for territory only for some numpty to immediately give away a stupid penalty at the resulting phases.
Although many tries against have come from really poor organisation in the defensive line I expect a better attacking show could be worth a try reduction on the opposition over 80 minutes.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 am
JP14 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 am
NONAME wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:08 pm Win looking at Top 6...lose looking at relegation, such is the premiership this season.
I’m hoping us, Saints and Quins get some consistency to drag ourselves into the Top 6 and not leave the Premiership so tight and muddled up, it’s not good for the game. Bristol will stay up, for me the real relegation contenders will be Sale and Worcester, both have class first teams but the weakest squad depth in the Premiership.
First point- Why do you want Saints to get into the top 6?!

Second point- Why is a tight, mixed up league not good for the game?
There are financial reasons, for example the betting companies that sponsor the game could lose out because of the uncertainty. It means teams focus too much on winning in the league and not in Europe so English teams are doing badly in Europe bar Sarries. It also means that regaining form is hard for English teams (apart from Saints/Harlequins who have games in the Challenge cup) because the opposition are more or less balanced, this has a physical toll on the players, teams are winning less games. This all has financial consequences, so consequently Melville’s idea for the league may be a good idea.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Addressing your first point Ellis, I hate Saints as much as the next Tigers supporter but the calibre of their squad especially the coaching staff they should be a Top 6 side, so I was just saying what I said from that point of view.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes BFG our red zone execution is awful! We will either knock on ,get turned over or someone will dive over a ruck and give a penalty away! Another thing too,if we are 7-0 down stop getting excited and take a potential 3 points if on instead of trying to chase the game and going to the corner to lose the following lineout!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:10 am Tempted fate and bought a new bottle of Remy this morning.
I'm sure it will keep for a while...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Slightly off (game) topic but does anyone know where you can find red zone rugby stats? Would be genuinely interested to look at offence and defence stats. For example, how good are Exeter inside the 22 and who is the best team at stopping opponents when they get inside their 22? That last one would be particularly interesting. The best NFL teams often give up a lot of yards, but then stop the opposition inside the red zone.