Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Academy thread.

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm Thanks. (Explains why Costelow is at 12.)
They rotate. costelow started 10 in the big derby game against Saints.
I suspect the main reason Costelow is at 12 is because he might have to potentially fill in for Hardwick spot in the development/senior teams.
I've heard Costelow is quite light weight, lots of pace and an impressive side step. Is that accurate because if it is I'm not sure he'll be ready for senior rugby at 12 yet. Maybe 10 if there's a defensively solid 12 next to him?

He must be pretty good to be Wales preferred 10 at his age group. They don't like selecting players from outside of Wales often and the 10 shirt in Wales is the shirt to wear.
He's a pretty damn good tackler.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:29 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:23 pm

I suspect the main reason Costelow is at 12 is because he might have to potentially fill in for Hardwick spot in the development/senior teams.
I've heard Costelow is quite light weight, lots of pace and an impressive side step. Is that accurate because if it is I'm not sure he'll be ready for senior rugby at 12 yet. Maybe 10 if there's a defensively solid 12 next to him?

He must be pretty good to be Wales preferred 10 at his age group. They don't like selecting players from outside of Wales often and the 10 shirt in Wales is the shirt to wear.
He's a pretty damn good tackler.
Excellent. Hopefully we'll see some of him in either the under 20 6N or the Prem Cup soon then.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Game ended 34-7
Half way through the academy league season
Northern Conference: 1st
Played 3
Won 3
TBP 3
Tries scored: 23
Tries conceded: 4

Tries scorers
Joe Browning x5
Edwards x 2
Costelow x 2
Gilliland x 2
James Whitecombe x2
Du Randt x 2
Ben Dickinson
Van Poortvliet
Manz
Glynn
Steward
Phoneix
Vanes
Eveleigh
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:45 pm Game ended 34-7
Half way through the academy league season
Northern Conference: 1st
Played 3
Won 3
TBP 3
Tries scored: 23
Tries conceded: 4

Tries scorers
Joe Browning x5
Edwards x 2
Costelow x 2
Gilliland x 2
James Whitecombe x2
Du Randt x 2
Ben Dickinson
Van Poortvliet
Manz
Glynn
Steward
Phoneix
Vanes
Eveleigh
Who is the U18 Defence coach :smt003
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm 34 - 7.
Joe Browning and Leo Gilliland tries.
Yes Glynn is Jed's son.
That has proper done it for me! :smt011

I have been told that U18 is a bit of a throwback in contact skills to more like U15/16 compared to the past.
The contact skills aren't what they once were amongst the age groups possibly due to the reduction in contact through junior years and they are playing catch up nationally at an older age with much weaker defensive capabilities, mixed with some big lads about that's why we are seeing more one sided scores in both conferences at this level.
This is what I am told anyway, sounds a reasonable assessment especially given their limited impact on the A league in comparison to the dominance at U18 so far by certain teams in both conferences.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

:smt027
BFG wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:09 pm 34 - 7.
Joe Browning and Leo Gilliland tries.
Yes Glynn is Jed's son.
That has proper done it for me! :smt011

I have been told that U18 is a bit of a throwback in contact skills to more like U15/16 compared to the past.
The contact skills aren't what they once were amongst the age groups possibly due to the reduction in contact through junior years and they are playing catch up nationally at an older age with much weaker defensive capabilities, mixed with some big lads about that's why we are seeing more one sided scores in both conferences at this level.
This is what I am told anyway, sounds a reasonable assessment especially given their limited impact on the A league in comparison to the dominance at U18 so far by certain teams in both conferences.
The academy lads have only just started to drip through into the A league side. Even the. They are playing senior pros. Most 18/19 year olds are not going to be physically developed enough at that age to dominate experienced players and our first team squad is as we know not strong enough to give these lads an armchair ride when the step up to senior rugby.

We have gone from seeing little to no young talent coming through and looking likely to break into the first team to an increasing trickle of players. Hopefully these results are an indication that we are going to see more and more young talent being developed to senior rugby. The lads dominated the under 18s league last season and I see no problem continuing the winning mentality again this season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Are you expecting J Ford to stay and Hardwick to go? Odd decision if true, one that could only be to keep George happy your assume, and as a top level club is that the way recruitment should be done?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:16 pm
Are you expecting J Ford to stay and Hardwick to go? Odd decision if true, one that could only be to keep George happy your assume, and as a top level club is that the way recruitment should be done?
No was on about Hardwick injury.
Prem cup is coming up and if Hardwick is out Costelow will most likely fill in.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Just watched the brief highlights of the academy lads win over Wasps at Oval Park on Sat. Only a couple of minutes or so worth of highlights, but one lad that really stood out was the winger Leo Gilliland. Looks a decent prospect
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bel7utyQiZ0

TBH L Costelow looked the standout for me.
Browning, Phoneix and Gilliland all have potential.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Whilst it’s prob too early for the majority, would love to see a handful thrown into a match day squad for the Prem Rugby Cup
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:47 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bel7utyQiZ0

TBH L Costelow looked the standout for me.
Browning, Phoneix and Gilliland all have potential.
Judging from those highlights Costelow (L) seems extremely comfortable at this level. Looks to be bulking out a little which he'll need when he steps up to senior rugby. Be interesting to see what he could do in the prem cup.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Don’t know enough about the youth set up as a whole, but surely the academy has to bear fruit and some stage. Our youth teams seem to batter everything put in front of them, and have done for a couple of seasons now.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:10 pm Don’t know enough about the youth set up as a whole, but surely the academy has to bear fruit and some stage. Our youth teams seem to batter everything put in front of them, and have done for a couple of seasons now.
I think this is the second season of battering everyone.

We've seen Owolofela, Heyes, White and Worth all become regulars in and around the first team this season. Lewis and Hardwick have also seen game time and are regulars in the A team. Simmonds seemed to breaking in last season before injury.

The next set of development players are now starting to come through. We saw Thom Smith make his debut in the prem cup this season and Cameron Jordan in the same competition last season.

The idea is to replace the squad players with the young and hungry local lads as the push through. Free up more money to sign quality front line players to act as mentors. That is where we failed previously, we've only made the most of the top end graduates and not the ones that have the potential to be good club men. Smith is a prime example, he's now about 32 and will reliably put his body on the line and play anywhere for the club. Great squad player and we could do with three or four more like him across the squad.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Team v Sale.
Starting XV: 15 Freddie Steward, 14 Leo Gilliland, 13 Ronnie Du Randt, 12 Ben Dickinson, 11 Joe Browning, 10 Sam Costelow, 9 Jonny Law, 1 James Whitcombe, 2 Shaun Allsopp, 3 Rob Hardwick, 4 Tom Manz, 5 George Martin, 6 Emeka Ilione, 7 Samuel Eveleigh, 8 Ollie Ashworth

Replacements: 16 Archie Vanes, 17 Bob Singer, 18 Jack Rowntree, 19 Will Backhouse, 20 Lynx Noumey, 21 Jack Van Poortvliet, 22 Harry Glynn, 23 Ollie Smith