Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Forward passes and putting the ball in

Post by fortysix »

I thought Owens was awful today.
It seems he sets the tone and the others follow?

How is it that forward passes are allowed time after time and worst of all, every single 9 in the Premiership feeds the ball into the 2nd row without being penalised.
I just wish the Rule Makers would sort it out.

What are the Forums thoughts ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Forward passes and putting the ball in

Post by JP14 »

There is a new rule regarding scrum feed-ins, basically referees don’t bother anymore with officiating it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Refereed for entertainment rather than application of the rules of the game I think NO is the most prominent official adopting this approach. So players you can get away with most marginal, and some less marginal infringements as long as it looks good. :smt003. If a consistent adherence to the rules produces a less enjoyable 'product' then change the rules, don't allow officials their own interpretation thats just too difficult for players to know what to expect.
I'm not cynical just experienced
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Seems that it's not only us in the Northern Hemisphere who have a problem with him.

If you haven't heard this story before it's worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... wens+story
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
SMS

Post by SMS »

Forward off load to try scorer for Racing's last try seems to have gone unnoticed by everyone from officials to pundits....why spoil an exciting move with the laws !!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

SMS wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:12 am Forward off load to try scorer for Racing's last try seems to have gone unnoticed by everyone from officials to pundits....why spoil an exciting move with the laws !!
Two forward passes from Racing that were ignored in the build up to Ford's intercept ended up with Thompstone's try. It was nice to see Owen's leniency with Racing inadvertently lead to a Tigers' score!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The forward pass thing makes me really angry.

It's should be absolute and not open to interpretation which means simple physics. The fixed point is the point on the pitch where the ball is released and if it is taken in front of this it is should be a forward pass.

This direction of the hands or momentum is garbage. It's rugby union not netball or basketball. it allows sides to push the margins of cheating dependent on the ref's opinion when there is no need to exercise opinion.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:18 pm The forward pass thing makes me really angry.

It's should be absolute and not open to interpretation which means simple physics. The fixed point is the point on the pitch where the ball is released and if it is taken in front of this it is should be a forward pass.

This direction of the hands or momentum is garbage. It's rugby union not netball or basketball. it allows sides to push the margins of cheating dependent on the ref's opinion when there is no need to exercise opinion.
Absolutely correct, The passer MUST allow for the momentum of the ball and ensure it reaches the receiver behind the position that the pass was made from.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Blame Dewi Morris for that direction of hands nonsense :smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Most referees allow forward passes these days unless they are blatant. Probably the most aggravating part of watching a game of rugby for me.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

A weekly conversation with posh Richard:-

'How to improve rugby. 1) get the game back on the ground. Mark not to be given in the air. No lifting at line out time. 2) Straight put ins. Scrum and line out. 3) Passive engagement at scrum time and free kick rather than penalties for offences 4) hooker's feet to be off the park when throwing in. 5) offside to be rigorously applied."

Let's get back to basics more and worry about high tackle and tackle in the air directives a little bit less.

"I've only been spark out four times on a rugby pitch. Twice for head on head. (Diving for a ball on the ground and meeting a mate head on on the other side of a tackle) Twice for a knee. Once when I was too low and once when the scrum collapsed when I was hooking and I kneed my own nose! (Embarrassed about that one. Our prop thought their second row had done the deed and sorted him out later in the game.) Still think basic laws need sorting before they start mucking around with the tackle."
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Offside at kick off - there is a line on the pitch for heavens sake
Penalty kicks ( from hand ) taken far in advance of the mark
- shouldn't that be a scrum to the opposition ?
Apply that one and see how quickly it dies out.