New league structure idea

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

upandunder
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: New league structure idea

Post by upandunder »

Not a great fan of the conference idea or indeed ring fencing. The premiership as it is works fine and provides intense competition week in and week out for clubs to strive to be the best. Competition is the essence and ring fencing could dumb down the desire to be the very best.
Other clubs also need something to strive for. Surely this is the essence of competition and ambition. Would rather we looked more closely at player welfare and how many games they play so as to try and limit injury and burn out. Tigers have always been the definition of grit and determination and although going through a sticky patch will come out of it and rise again to the top of the very competitive league.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: New league structure idea

Post by ourla »

There is a dilemma here:

My competetive instinct is to wish ill on all other clubs. Who hasn't read about Bath's injury crisis or Wasps financial issues with a devlilish feeling of happiness. And relegation serves to weaken the field. It's harder for the weak to get the financial backing and next season for example we ill lose a Worcester or Sale to be replaced by an inferior London Irish.

On the other hand, sport is about taking on your peers. The best taking each other on with everyone having a fair crack and there being, on paper at least, no easy matches. Are most La Liga football matches really a spectacle worth going into catch up. Don't get me wrong there are always going to be teams that are just better. Or teams that are just that bit better resourced but you know what I mean hopefully.

Ultimately the latter wins out and I support ring fencing. I support less is more. And an expansion/conference system may be a good idea.