Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Anyone taking Betts

Post by BFG »

Just give the job to Murphy!
The lack of experience is not his own, it comes from the pressures of the rest of the club.
Folk have been demanding these youngsters to get the opportunity, well Geordan did it and what it has proved is that they are not as good as being made out, that isn't inexperience, it's simply finding out the truth of where we are and what is needed moving forward.
No-one else has had the cajones to do it and it's a massive wake up call and why his win percentage is low!
The defence I'm afraid is not something that coaching alone can fix, these are individual player weaknesses and issues that have been apparent for years both here and during their time playing at other clubs.
Ford has always been driven back on the gain line and allowed front foot ball and demanded it being tighter around him leaving space to attack elsewhere, Eastmond has been sent off before and can be an erratic tackler, Manu has always created doglegs with a mistimed rush even with England etc.
You can go right through the squad and pick a weakness that has existed for many years of almost every player.
If we know it then opposition know it and they are certainly exposing them.
The only thing that will improve defence slightly is the availability of players and a more consistent selection available to the coaches, that was the case before the Autumn internationals as it was getting a little better.
We have the players to plug the defence, Toomua, Smith, Thompstone etc, they just need selecting in the right positions, as long as selection policy will allow a coach to do what's best for the team.
Another coaching kerfuffle is not what is needed, some perspective is!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am I despair the level of incompetence at all levels in Tigers is utterly staggering. Its crystal clear that the Board are incapable with the present incumbent incompetents of stopping the death watch beetle. Giving GM a long term contract is a risk to far and reeks of desperation, he must prove his ability not get rewarded for failure. Its time to sign a truly world class DOR nothing less will suffice but it would appear the board simply cannot grasp the severity of our plight and what must be done to halt it.
So which world class DOR would you bring in?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 am
sapajo wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:31 am I despair the level of incompetence at all levels in Tigers is utterly staggering. Its crystal clear that the Board are incapable with the present incumbent incompetents of stopping the death watch beetle. Giving GM a long term contract is a risk to far and reeks of desperation, he must prove his ability not get rewarded for failure. Its time to sign a truly world class DOR nothing less will suffice but it would appear the board simply cannot grasp the severity of our plight and what must be done to halt it.
Therein lies the issue. The Prem is a graveyard of DORs, McCall is IMO the only one approaching international standard. Many world class international coaches have foundered in league rugby (not subsidised regional) and vice versa. Gatland is an exception.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:38 am
ellis9 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 am
Therein lies the issue. The Prem is a graveyard of DORs, McCall is IMO the only one approaching international standard. Many world class international coaches have foundered in league rugby (not subsidised regional) and vice versa. Gatland is an exception.
Exactly. This is what annoys me. Loads of people say we should being in a top class DOR but very rarely offer names of who these top class people are.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Robbie Deans.
Warren Gatland.
Connor O'Shea.

Not world class, but top quality DoRs that would teach Geordan and awful lot.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:02 pm Robbie Deans.
Warren Gatland.
Connor O'Shea.

Robbie Deans would be a top appointment but he's being paid a fortune in Japan, Gatland would be good too but he will be stuck in a tug of war between England, New Zealand and maybe even Aus. O'Shea i'm not fully convinced by and he'll probably want to see through his Italy project
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Are NZ interested in Gatland?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:02 pm Robbie Deans.
Warren Gatland.
Connor O'Shea.

Connor O'Shea- I wouldn't put him in the top quality category.

Robbie Deans- I'd be worried about his lack of English Rugby knowledge.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Obviously there’s Scott Robertson, Leo Cullen, I would call them at least top DORs.

I also think Gustard has the making of a quality coach.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We should aim high, Steve Hansen.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Well we won't be aiming high, not now, after so many previous cock ups by Cohen and co
Sticking plaster liberally applied will be administered, and a shock win will smokescreen the whole shambolic saga.
If it was me in charge, I would be approaching the Thai owners of Leicester City to do a rescue job a la City...far fetched ??
Just think of all the enormous publicity for both sides, for both Sports, if they literally revived a Giant on the scrap heap as well as their Crowning glory already accomplished..
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:40 am Well we won't be aiming high, not now, after so many previous cock ups by Cohen and co
Sticking plaster liberally applied will be administered, and a shock win will smokescreen the whole shambolic saga.
If it was me in charge, I would be approaching the Thai owners of Leicester City to do a rescue job a la City...far fetched ??
Just think of all the enormous publicity for both sides, for both Sports, if they literally revived a Giant on the scrap heap as well as their Crowning glory already accomplished..
Why? What could they do?

Keeping in mind that Tigers spend what they can afford, a loan from the Thai family isn't an option as that effectively gives us a debt that we would need to pay them back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

maybe the"senior " players have got another brother to sign ... or father .. or mother .. sister whatever .. surely that's more important than someone the club might deem necessary
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:59 pm Obviously there’s Scott Robertson, Leo Cullen, I would call them at least top DORs.

I also think Gustard has the making of a quality coach.
Scott Robertson- Again, I'd worry about his lack of knowledge of the English game.

Leo Cullen- He won't leave Leinster yet.

Paul Gustard- You may be right about his potential ability but he won't be joining us any time soon. He hasn't even done a full season at Quins yet.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No you’re right Ellis as a Harlequins fan myself, I would love to see Gustard to do well there over the next few years. Hopefully not too well 😉.

*Harlequins are my 2nd club, I’m became a fan after Wiggy became forwards coach and I loved their Adidas strips. Even though Wiggy has now left I’m still a fan.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni