Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by TTRITH »

I genuinely think I'd prefer Mallinder.

But. Like it or not Ford does have experience, knows the league and wouldnt take the board interfering. His appointment however would fit the idea that the board are insistant we play flowing rugby, and would probably mean we won't want a standout 12 because Eastmond would do that.

And to be honest, I dont think Ford will do as bad a job with recruitment as Glynn and certainly would provide a buffer for Geordan.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:36 pm I genuinely think I'd prefer Mallinder.

But. Like it or not Ford does have experience, knows the league and wouldnt take the board interfering. His appointment however would fit the idea that the board are insistant we play flowing rugby, and would probably mean we won't want a standout 12 because Eastmond would do that.

And to be honest, I dont think Ford will do as bad a job with recruitment as Glynn and certainly would provide a buffer for Geordan.
Exactly, would make sense. He could be temporary DOR and let Murphy get on as coach. Also has experience in defence coaching and could maybe bring in a defence coach to replace Deacon.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

BIttySmalls wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:59 pm
daktari wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:54 pm
BIttySmalls wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm That's a couple of different sources today who confidently claim Mike Ford is coming imminently.

Thoughts?
State your sources.
Yes sir !!!!

Cliff & Roy...... I bet that's helped you no end.
I've heard of Siegfried & Roy - they were magicians and I think one of them was attacked.....by a Tiger!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Or, because I'm living in fantasy world.

DoR: Jim Mallinder
Head Coach (Backs/Attacking): Geordan Murphy
Forwards Coach: Mark Bakewell
Scrum Coach: Boris Stankovich
Breakdown Coach: Brett Deacon
Defense Coach: Mike Ford
Assistant Backs Coach: Anthony Allen

Two additional senior coaches, both with experience, and would probably fit into the boards thinking of how things work. No-ones first choice but would at least show the board is trying to make things work.
Last edited by TTRITH on Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Burnett
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

If it happens I take my hat off to Mike Ford!

He persuaded George to leave Tigers and join him at Bath.

Ford Snr gets the sack and George rejoins Tigers together with Joe.

Mike Ford joins Tigers and in so doing so has found a single palace for the Ford dynasty. Fait Accomplit :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm Or, because I'm living in fantasy world.

Two additional senior coaches, both with experience, and would probably fit into the boards thinking of how things work. No-ones first choice but would at least show the board is trying to make things work.
+ Stanko presumably?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:00 pm
TTRITH wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:44 pm Or, because I'm living in fantasy world.

+ Stanko presumably?
Yes! I'm going to edit that post. Sorry Stanko!
Richard Burnett
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I believe that his links to Germany were only valid for the repechage round robin in which Germany came 2nd and therefore did not qualify for the WC. I believe that he has also no longer involved in the States but have no evidence for that other than when I spoke to Jacob about 5/6 weeks ago he said his dad had completed building his new home "up North". Having said that, I have always found him a very likable person and would not object to him coming and helping our less experienced coaches especially on Defence.
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

BIttySmalls wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:05 pm That's a couple of different sources today who confidently claim Mike Ford is coming imminently.

Thoughts?
I can see it now, the Ford JMG, with three seats, three cup holders, three doors, and three wheels!
Think I'd save my money!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

If he's coming to be Geordan's boss it means we'd be employing the man who had to be bailed out at Toulon by the man we had just sacked :smt017..….Makes about as much sense as rehiring Matt O'Connor. :smt013

I'd only want him here as defence coach, consultant or replacement for Ged Glynn but with no final say in how the team plays or who's signed or selected to play. So he could administrate contracts and share his experience but not decide who we sign.

There are those on here who claim the club is run by a cabal of senior players. Now we have the prospect of the Ford triumvirate. I'll reserve judgement on that if it happens.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

A less than ideal situation but desperate times call for desperate measures. From the outside it seems that the recent signings are those showing character. Thompson is a leader as is Spencer, Denton and Eastmond look like they care. Creating team esprit is paramount, anyone who can add to the confidence of the squad I'd welcome, defined and understood defensive systems would be a huge help.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

If this is the case, I really hope it is a purely coaching role for Ford. I would not even have a problem with him taking full responsibility for the attacking and defensive structure of the team, he has the experience, which the rest of the coaching team lacks and his Bath team played some of the best rugby the prem has ever seen.

Conversely, nothing over the past few years has given me confidence of Geordan's ability to improve player skills and shape an attack. If Ford's arrival as a senior coach allows Geordan to get away from the training paddock and into the Ged Glynn / DOR role, where he can start rebuilding the tigers ethos throughout the club I would be all for it. The next few months are going to be crucial for next years recruitment and I cannot think of anyone better placed to judge whether potential new players are of the required Tigers mentality. Oh, and ensure Joe Ford leaves at the end of the year!

Thinking with extreme optimism, this does reflect the Leinster approach of having club man Leo Cullen @ DOR and Lancaster @ Head Coach. But that would seem almost a considered plan by the board, so unlikely to happen this way....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Something has to change - over the past few seasons we have gone from the most miserly defence in the league to the worst.

If we accept that the entire team isn't incapable the blame has to fall on the playing structure and ultimately the coaches that decide on the structure and the players to implement it. Our opponents know that all they have to do is run at us and sooner or later we will leave a huge gap to run into.

Continually appointing coaches from within who have learned from within frankly isn't working. An experienced coach like Ford has to come in and sort the mess out before it is too late and we are relegated. Going forward the players have to accept the need to buy into the team structure or go and ply their trade elsewhere. Too many of our senior players don't know how to get a grip of a game and lead the side when things aren't working.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Personally I would be happy to have Mike Ford's experience at the Club. I think his sacking by Bath was a knee jerk reaction after a below par season but you couldn't say that his sacking was a success for Bath. I think he has plenty to offer in the right role as others have said, and he does spend a lot of time at the Club.... for obvious reasons! If he feels ready to take the plunge from Bath to Tigers that is fine by me. Sorry that was bad !
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Bath were immense for two seasons under Ford across the park. Forwards carried hard and into space and the backs cut teams to ribbons. We have the players so if we could bring that style into the club we could be onto a winner.