Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by fortysix »

Jersey and Cornwall.. Spain....
Umm, throw in Bedford, Nottingham , Rotherham, Outer Georgia and Romania where all your gear will be nicked...
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

35 years as a rugby professional and he's never won anything far as I can tell. We can do better.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

This isn't being reported anywhere but this forum which is probably where Fissler read it despite his 'multiple sources' claim.

I think it could be a decent appointment if the terms are right. If he was given a contract until the end of the season then I'd be all for that.

Despite people's dislike of his personality, his record is good and he's a proven defence coach unlike Brett who, let's be honest here, is way out of his depth. His experience could be very useful to Geordan. If someone of his calibre can come in and supplement a somewhat callow coaching team then I think it's an opportunity worth exploring.

As I say, give him a short term contract and go from there. If it doesn't work out we can say "cheerio" in the summer.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

On Rugby Tonight, Austin Healey and Lawrence Dallaglio asked to identify the common denominator in great European Champions Cup sides. Both immediately said "great coaches".

As I've said before, I'd swap any player - if not two - for a great coach.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:26 pm On Rugby Tonight, Austin Healey and Lawrence Dallaglio asked to identify the common denominator in great European Champions Cup sides. Both immediately said "great coaches".

We should have been OK then after all we 'scoured the world', left no turd unstoned.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The positive thing about Mike Ford is he has first hand knowledge of Tigers’ problems in defence having attended our matches this season.
At the moment things aren’t working so get him in now to have time before facing a rejuvenated Quins side.
Geordan has to have the final say on selection and then Bret Deacon can work on getting the back row to work as a unit instead of in isolation!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm
strawclearer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:26 pm On Rugby Tonight, Austin Healey and Lawrence Dallaglio asked to identify the common denominator in great European Champions Cup sides. Both immediately said "great coaches".

We should have been OK then after all we 'scoured the world', left no turd unstoned.
We scoured the world. The consultants identified Van Graan, Plumtree and Ackerman. Our board chose to appoint MOC who approached the board applying for the job.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The Telegraph is reporting that Murphy has dismissed Johnno coming in.

As I understand it, Johnno has no interest in modern day rugby so not sure how this has come about. This is what Murphy has said too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... l-man/amp/
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Also says Murphy hopes to tie down a permanent contract with Tigers before Christmas, as reported also by DailyMail.

Plus they are maybe looking to bring in more experience into the coaching set up so probably means Ford snr.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm
chewbacca wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:34 pm

We scoured the world. The consultants identified Van Graan, Plumtree and Ackerman. Our board chose to appoint MOC who approached the board applying for the job.
Ah well I guess we saved the commission on a salary. Worth it to be 3 points from bottom.
I'm not cynical just experienced
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm 35 years as a rugby professional and he's never won anything far as I can tell. We can do better.
Sorry - you are wrong - Whilst at Oldham, he started coaching rugby union at Dukinfield RUFC for 5 seasons, winning a cup and two promotions. Ford left Oldham to take over as Defensive Co-ordinator of Ireland in January 2002 and stayed for 4 seasons, winning a triple crown and helping guide Ireland to 3rd in the world rankings. Ford was awarded the Aviva Premiership Director of Rugby of the Year award in 2015
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 am
CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 pm 35 years as a rugby professional and he's never won anything far as I can tell. We can do better.
Sorry - you are wrong - Whilst at Oldham, he started coaching rugby union at Dukinfield RUFC for 5 seasons, winning a cup and two promotions. Ford left Oldham to take over as Defensive Co-ordinator of Ireland in January 2002 and stayed for 4 seasons, winning a triple crown and helping guide Ireland to 3rd in the world rankings. Ford was awarded the Aviva Premiership Director of Rugby of the Year award in 2015
The feeling I get is that he might be a decent coach, unfortunately coaching boy wonder fell flat against the big power sides and finished 9th in the Premiership at the last attempt with a squad that was stacked with quality players at Bath.
We've seen it all unfold over several seasons now, and my view is directed to the opinion that G Ford and defence aren't a match made in heaven.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

We could do, and have done, a lot worse.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 am The Telegraph is reporting that Murphy has dismissed Johnno coming in.

As I understand it, Johnno has no interest in modern day rugby so not sure how this has come about. This is what Murphy has said too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegr ... l-man/amp/
The Johnno link will continue to surface as it allows lazy journalists to fill column inches with little or no effort. It is well known that he has no interest in a coaching role in Rugby.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Spicer wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 pm Is he supposedly coming in as a head coach, DoR or defense coach?
Willl be all 3 (eventually).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.