Mike Ford is on his way !!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2384
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by BFG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:42 am

Robespierre wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 am
DingDong wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am
It constantly amazes me how some fans hold ridiculous prejudices despite facts and reality staring them in the face. Ford Snr's credentials are excellent whilst a defence coach for England, read the stats! He also steered Bath to two very successful seasons before being shafted. Ford Snr would make a huge improvement to our defence should he be offered the role, temporarily or permanent.
Ridiculous, indeed!!
Seems to me that the knives are already being brandished before Mike Ford has even set foot in Welford Rd!
Just the idea of it is a joke, given that Ford Jnr upped and left here to join Ford Snr in Bath, which caused considerable disruption here before.
Then he gets the boot from Bath, boy wonder cries off and then causes the Freddie embarrassment.
Other players won't be happy in my opinion and this is a main contributor to why they can't perform regularly and build a proper team mentality.

jaguar
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:55 am

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by jaguar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 am

nasher wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm
The downward spiral continues. Instead of finding a decent defence coach we are about to waste more money on the oFord clan- joe not good enough,his brother spends more time with England than tigers and we are still prepared to waste money rather than to solve the problem. Posters who say player power rules may well be correct.
Well said nasher. Remember Gary Gold of Bath stabbed in the back by MF, Bath players as well he is not a trustworthy person.

DingDong
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by DingDong » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

Ford Snr's CV is impressive as a coach, Ford Jnr is a IRB World Player Award winner, current England player and British & Irish Lions player. These are proven facts and not hearsay as the digs on here are about why Ford jnr left and re-joined, this public domain won't keep the haters in life away, but at least they can be highlighted for their ignorance.

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by johnthegriff » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am

Our defence currently is not good for some reason that I cannot explain. This thread suggests that Tigers are considering the appointment of an experienced defence coach/consultant to the staff. The guy is possibly available now, the club were criticised when there was a delay in appointing Bakewell who they thought was the right man but was not immediately free which is the likely position of any successful coach. Ford has through no fault been unable to take up his appointment in America and the temporary job in Germany has come to an end. He did a decent job with England and a good job at Bath losing the position according to rumour through non rugby reasons. I have only spoken to the man on two occasions, once up at Sale when he seemed like a good bloke with a nice family and once at Harlequins when I was less impressed, however he was being very supportive of a young George. If he is appointed I will wait to see the effect he has on the team before passing judgement, my opinion will be based solely on what happens on the pitch, I think we have the players, I think they have the desire, I think Geordan Murphy will be a great coach for Tigers but he needs time with his squad to make the necessary changes and a little help may not go amiss.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2384
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by BFG » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am

DingDong wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am
Ford Snr's CV is impressive as a coach, Ford Jnr is a IRB World young Player Award winner, current England player and British & Irish Lions player. These are proven facts and not hearsay as the digs on here are about why Ford jnr left and re-joined, this public domain won't keep the haters in life away, but at least they can be highlighted for their ignorance.
Peak!

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by teds » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am

BFG wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:15 am
DingDong wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am
Ford Snr's CV is impressive as a coach, Ford Jnr is a IRB World young Player Award winner, current England player and British & Irish Lions player. These are proven facts and not hearsay as the digs on here are about why Ford jnr left and re-joined, this public domain won't keep the haters in life away, but at least they can be highlighted for their ignorance.
Peak!
Are you sure he played for the lions?

trendylfj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:16 am
Location: MARKET HARBOROUGH

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by trendylfj » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am
Our defence currently is not good for some reason that I cannot explain. This thread suggests that Tigers are considering the appointment of an experienced defence coach/consultant to the staff. The guy is possibly available now, the club were criticised when there was a delay in appointing Bakewell who they thought was the right man but was not immediately free which is the likely position of any successful coach. Ford has through no fault been unable to take up his appointment in America and the temporary job in Germany has come to an end. He did a decent job with England and a good job at Bath losing the position according to rumour through non rugby reasons. I have only spoken to the man on two occasions, once up at Sale when he seemed like a good bloke with a nice family and once at Harlequins when I was less impressed, however he was being very supportive of a young George. If he is appointed I will wait to see the effect he has on the team before passing judgement, my opinion will be based solely on what happens on the pitch, I think we have the players, I think they have the desire, I think Geordan Murphy will be a great coach for Tigers but he needs time with his squad to make the necessary changes and a little help may not go amiss.
:smt038

I have spoken to him several times when he was living with George, who lives in my village and he has always come across a a really genuine and down to earth bloke. His defence coaching record is excellent.

"He served as a defence coach for the British and Irish Lions midweek team on their 2005 tour to New Zealand, remaining undefeated in 7 games (the test side lost the series 3-0). He left his position with Ireland in September 2005.
In May 2006 Ford became defence coach of England, part of the coaching team that guided England to the 2007 World Cup Final. With Ford as defence coach England conceded the fewest points in the in 2009 Six Nations (70) and the fewest tries in the 2010 Six Nations (5), and the fewest tries in the pool stages of the 2011 World Cup.
He joined the coaching staff at Bath Rugby. He became head coach at Bath in May 2013 and guided them to a Champions Cup spot and an Amlin Challenge Cup final. In 2014/15 Bath finished 2nd in the Premiership and lost in the Premiership Final to Saracens and was awarded the Aviva Premiership Director of Rugby of the Year award in 2015!

There can't be too many defence coaches out there with a better record than this.

Yes there was a problem at Bath in 2016 and later at Toulon but the guy can coach and should be welcomed.

George has never played for the Lions
Hehehehehehehehe

clarkey80
Tiger Cub
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:27 am

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by clarkey80 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am
Our defence currently is not good for some reason that I cannot explain. This thread suggests that Tigers are considering the appointment of an experienced defence coach/consultant to the staff. The guy is possibly available now, the club were criticised when there was a delay in appointing Bakewell who they thought was the right man but was not immediately free which is the likely position of any successful coach. Ford has through no fault been unable to take up his appointment in America and the temporary job in Germany has come to an end. He did a decent job with England and a good job at Bath losing the position according to rumour through non rugby reasons. I have only spoken to the man on two occasions, once up at Sale when he seemed like a good bloke with a nice family and once at Harlequins when I was less impressed, however he was being very supportive of a young George. If he is appointed I will wait to see the effect he has on the team before passing judgement, my opinion will be based solely on what happens on the pitch, I think we have the players, I think they have the desire, I think Geordan Murphy will be a great coach for Tigers but he needs time with his squad to make the necessary changes and a little help may not go amiss.
Exactly - when it is crystal clear the our coaching team is light of 1-2 positions appointing an experienced defence coach (if that is to be the case) should not be seen as a failure on GM's part.
Time would tell but on paper this would be a decent appointment given that it is mid season.

nasher
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by nasher » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:43 am

If he is such a good coach, why is he out of work?

Dr H Flashman MBE
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 684
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Bath..Behind enemy lines..

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am

If it’s true, I think it’s a great appointment. He has a good history of coaching ability and we need a hand at the moment. It’s kind of a no brainier really. Who else is out there to get us out of this slump?
There is never any points for 2nd place...

sapajo
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4206
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by sapajo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm

If this comes to pass its yet just another example of the complete lack of change managment and forward planning by the Board. The Boards recruitment policy can be best be described as knee jerk and at worst shambolic. Either way, the views and opinions of us supporters will not bring about any change to either the current modus operandi and / or the Old Boys status quo. I guess I like every other supporter will have to decide how long they are happy to support and /or pay to watch the dross that continues to be served up on the pitch over some 5 years seasons of decline but with still no end in sight. I shall plow on and try to keep the blind faith as I am utterly desperate for a turn around.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity

teds
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 373
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:02 pm
Location: london

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by teds » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 pm

For me it depends if it was initiated by Murphy or not.
If it is - it’s got be good news that Murphy has identified what kind of help he needs and the board is finding the funds. If on the other hand it’s another board inspired move then it’s likely to be a disaster.

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by ellis9 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:11 pm

sapajo wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:02 pm
If this comes to pass its yet just another example of the complete lack of change managment and forward planning by the Board. The Boards recruitment policy can be best be described as knee jerk and at worst shambolic. Either way, the views and opinions of us supporters will not bring about any change to either the current modus operandi and / or the Old Boys status quo. I guess I like every other supporter will have to decide how long they are happy to support and /or pay to watch the dross that continues to be served up on the pitch over some 5 years seasons of decline but with still no end in sight. I shall plow on and try to keep the blind faith as I am utterly desperate for a turn around.
"Decide how happy to support/pay to watch like every other supporter". Don't include me in that. I'll be happy to pay and turn up to watch Tigers play for as long as I'm able to.

DingDong
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by DingDong » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm

trendylfj wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:27 am
George has never played for the Lions
Apologies, had a brain fart! - swear he went as a travelling reserve but never mind!

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1237
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Mike Ford is on his way !!

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Don’t get what all the hate is for Ford senior. Our defence has been shocking recently even with Deacon coming in. Surely a set up like this would be much better than what we have now. Plus it should give us some stability going forwards which we can build on.

Head Coach: Murphy, deals with attack and backs
Senior Coach: Ford, deals with defence
Forwards Coach: Bakewell, deals with forwards
Scrum Coach: Stanko

Deacon and Allen can go back to coaching the academy lads coming up.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grobyman, Richardfje, Stroudtiger67 and 2 guests