Tigers' decline

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Baz

Tigers' decline

Post by Baz »

This forum might be great for letting off steam, but, it's patently obvious that no one of consequence reads it. Might I suggest that fans who feel as disgusted as I do about the decline of our club, invest 5 minutes and a stamp, in writing a letter, expressing that disgust, to Peter Tom or Simon Cohen. If everyone who professes to feel strongly about the issue actually did this, I'm sure the message would get across.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers' decline

Post by chewbacca »

The message will get across when and only when the main shareholders are not satisfied with the return on their investment. Likely our current freefall decline will prove unattractive to sponsors making finances even more difficult.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Louis

Post by Louis »

Baz wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am This forum might be great for letting off steam, but, it's patently obvious that no one of consequence reads it. Might I suggest that fans who feel as disgusted as I do about the decline of our club, invest 5 minutes and a stamp, in writing a letter, expressing that disgust, to Peter Tom or Simon Cohen. If everyone who professes to feel strongly about the issue actually did this, I'm sure the message would get across.
See now THIS is a constructive suggestion.

From extensive experience, foam flecked missives written in green ink will be summarily dismissed. A carefully worded, well thought out, edited, and above all solution focused letters have a vastly better chance of influence.

Write, rewrite, edit, rewrite, wait a day or two, reread, rewrite, send.

The mentality of "I'll withdraw my money" is bizarre to me (it works in some situations, I don't think this is the appropriate choice for a club one support). The club needs money to function. The way to improve the club at least involves some increase in money (given the environment). Granted, anything that reduces board/shareholder complacency is a good thing, but there are alternatives to actually harming them club (the entity itself). The club is not the target, the people within the club you are dissatisfied with are. So target them. A supporter lead organisation which was constructive and vocal, which wrote regularly to the people at the club it needs to with thought through constructive, fact based arguments would almost always deliver some results.

If it doesn't, then there are other ways, election to the board, influencing individual board members, buying shares in the club (if possible), if share purchase is possible an alliance of shareholders is a great plan...

My point is that pressure can be applied in the absence of protests that remove much needed support for the CLUB itself.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Letters? That costs money that people don't want to spend. The average age of this forum

If you want change start a petition on change.com.
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Spicer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:35 pm Letters? That costs money that people don't want to spend. The average age of this forum

If you want change start a petition on change.com.
Someone has already put one up, there was one on Facebook last night!
HantsTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by HantsTiger »

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

HantsTiger wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm https://www.change.org/p/leicester-tige ... ZWo2Fjp9B0

There you go :smt023
Oh wow. Thank you.

202 signatures.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Open letter to the Executive Chairman:

December 3rd, 2018.
Dear Mr. Tom,
as a long-term supporter of Leicester Tigers, I wish to express my deep concern about the severe decline in the on-field fortunes of the club. This concern, I know, is shared by thousands of other dedicated supporters. The steep fall in playing standards has been going on for at least seven years. I will make no comment on the issue of player recruitment, but the board has done nothing to provide the top-class coaching required for a club of Leicester’s reputation and standing. Since Mr. Cockerill’s departure, which, in my view, was quite justified, we have had nothing but a litany of stop-gap coaches and directors of rugby, none of whom have been of the required standard.
If this situation is allowed to persist, attendances will fall, and, with that, revenue. Sponsors will be harder to find, leading to a further drop in revenue. If the downward spiral does not become terminal, it will, at least, take years to reverse. The management seems to have forgotten that their off-the-field projects are heavily dependent on the team’s performance in the rugby premiership!
Before we reach the tipping-point, should the board not make the investment necessary to provide a FIRST-CLASS DoR and coaching set-up? Even if it means putting some of the more grandiose projects on hold.
Yours sincerely,

This a real letter, full name and address supplied, and signed, which will be posted tomorrow.
Baz

Post by Baz »

"Letters? That costs money that people don't want to spend." A stamp, compared with the cost of your support? Unbelievable! A petition, which might never take off, is more likely to be ignored than a sack-full of letters. Has writing now become too difficult?
Baz

Post by Baz »

" by chewbacca » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:48 am
The message will get across when and only when the main shareholders are not satisfied with the return on their investment. Likely our current freefall decline will prove unattractive to sponsors making finances even more difficult."

By the time revenue has fallen to this level, it will be too late. We won't have even a decent playing squad, let alone coaching set-up. Get off your backsides and write! The mere fact that you have taken the trouble is more impressive than doing something on line. Having something tangible to open and read has a lot of impact. Today's attitude seems to be, "if I can't do it on line, I won't bother". If the stamp seems expensive, send one fewer trashy Christmas card!
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Baz wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:01 pm "Letters? That costs money that people don't want to spend." A stamp, compared with the cost of your support? Unbelievable! A petition, which might never take off, is more likely to be ignored than a sack-full of letters. Has writing now become too difficult?
Difficult? No. But largely irrelevant.
Sure if the board got a massive pile of hundreds or thousands of letters it would have an impact. But it won't happen as, like it or not, the vast majority of people don't write letters anymore. Plus people need to care enough to spend the time writing a letter. People are passionate on this dedicated Tigers forum, but most people who support Tigers and attend matches are not as passionate as the people on this forum. However they probably are passionate enough to spend 30 seconds signing a petition instead if they wish. Thus it highly likely that a petition will have a lot more attention and impact. However I'll be happy to be proven wrong if thousands of letters turn up at the next board room meeting. Good luck to you.

As for your letter, it is well written and I agree with every point you make.

As for the quip about Christmas cards, I'm in my 20's, nobody in my generation sends them.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Thank you for reading my comments. In the time it took you to write the reply, you could have put pen to paper! Writing is not, as you suggest, irrelevant. It is, indeed, a sad comment that no one writes letters any more. What all of you are overlooking is, that the people whom you are hoping to influence, the senior board members, are from the very generation that did write, for pleasure often. If people's passion only extends to spending 30 seconds signing a petition, "passion" is hardly the term for it! Of course, thousands of letters WON'T turn up in the boardroom; that's the whole point! If they did................? Try it! Petitions, Bah!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Just signed the online petition. I'm tempted to copy and paste Baz's letter into a word document, print and post. If you can't be bothered to send a letter you could copy Baz's letter into an email and send. No monetary cost and very little time investment needed. Just a thought.

Petitions, letters, emails all have impact. It's better than doing nothing.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Our demise can be traced back to 2nd January 2017, the day we sacked Cockers. He had done enough as player and DOR to have earned the right to be judged at the end of the season, but in a most un-Tigers like way he was sacked. Then we had Aaron Mauger and he was shafted to bring in O'Connor, who didn't get us to the final then delivered a 5th place finish last season. And now we are a shadow of our former selves and easily beaten.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Latecomer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm Our demise can be traced back to 2nd January 2017, the day we sacked Cockers. He had done enough as player and DOR to have earned the right to be judged at the end of the season, but in a most un-Tigers like way he was sacked. Then we had Aaron Mauger and he was shafted to bring in O'Connor, who didn't get us to the final then delivered a 5th place finish last season. And now we are a shadow of our former selves and easily beaten.
Au contraire, I would say round about 2012, when Cockers and the veteran players hauled is through another campaign to the final despite the ineptitude of MOC. (BTW you can look up my posts from that period to see I was already grinding on about him). Then we went on with Paul Burke and I think 2 other coaches bar Cockers. Eventually we hired Mauger and his pal Scotty, and they were a busted flush BUT the younger players wanted to play like NZ or something....and they chopped Cockers. And then some idiot (well members of the BoD) decided to rehire the hapless MOC. I combusted, crying 'we're all doomed'....and i was right.
Solution: defence coach now, consultant DOR now - and go with what then happens to determine what happens at the end of the season. For my mind, I suspect GM and one or two others will go and someone quite different be hired.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.