Re: Tigers' decline

Post by MikeR »

259 sigs now .
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

There seems to be some uncertainty over which will have more impact - a letter or a petition. My rather novel approach is to sign the petition AND write a letter! :smt031
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

I have posted my feelings under ‘if you support a club’. Perhaps I should have put it here.
I have written a letter also.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Et tu Brutus? Moi aussie !
As Good As It Gets
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:05 pm Et tu Brutus? Moi aussie !
Latin, French.....and Australian! This is serious!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Aye lad!
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

We've missed our chance, if it ever existed, as the AGM was last week and Peter Tom stood for re-election. I voted against via postal ballot; I haven't seen the outcome but I assume that he got in again.
I sent him this email before the meeting on the Monday:-
Dear Peter
It's less than 2 years since I wrote this email to you (you may recall I wrote about Cockerill's language on Radio 5), we had a couple of chats over the phone and then tried to catch up with each other at a match (but we didn't quite make that).
It's been an eventful 2 years for the Tigers' rugby management:-
Cockerill sacked
Mauger appointed
Mauger sacked
O'Connor appointed
O'Connor sacked
Murphy appointed on an interim basis
As Chairman of Tigers during this period, you must be responsible for this series of managerial appointments and sackings and the steady decline of the Tigers as a playing force in England and Europe.
It is with great surprise, dismay and sadness, then, that I see that Item 2 on the agenda of the AGM is your re-election as a Director. In view of the series of failed senior managerial appointments , I would have hoped that you would not now be standing as a Director, especially if this entails your being Chairman, and would have accepted that it is now time for you to hand over the reins.
I appreciate all that you have done for Tigers over the decades but I would now hope that you would, in turn, appreciate that your recent record of senior coaching appointments means that fans such as myself have no confidence in your ability to steer the club back to the pinnacle of English and European rugby where we feel it belongs.

I would have thought that anyone with a shred of self-awareness and integrity would not have stood for Director again, especially after MoC was sacked after the 1st match of the season but I think I have the answer.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Spicer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:45 pm
HantsTiger wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 pm https://www.change.org/p/leicester-tige ... ZWo2Fjp9B0

There you go :smt023
Oh wow. Thank you.

202 signatures.
I tried to sign, but my pigging iPad won't play ball. Poxy techno.
I'll write to Mr Tom next week instead.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Spicer wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:35 pm Letters? That costs money that people don't want to spend. The average age of this forum

If you want change start a petition on change.com.
Point taken. Can we extend the definition of "letter" to somewhat elastically include missives disseminated via that there Intertubes? (Petition included)

Personally I prefer stone tablets and carrier pigeons (them's some big pigeons), but the Youth Of Today (TM) have no sense of style. It takes a certain espièglerie to carry off communication via stone tablet. And the autocorrect is total bobbins.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Baz wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 pm Thank you for reading my comments. In the time it took you to write the reply, you could have put pen to paper! Writing is not, as you suggest, irrelevant. It is, indeed, a sad comment that no one writes letters any more. What all of you are overlooking is, that the people whom you are hoping to influence, the senior board members, are from the very generation that did write, for pleasure often. If people's passion only extends to spending 30 seconds signing a petition, "passion" is hardly the term for it! Of course, thousands of letters WON'T turn up in the boardroom; that's the whole point! If they did................? Try it! Petitions, Bah!
Got to be honest, I'm with you here (and my letter was posted this afternoon...)
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

So persistent and deliberate has been the decline in on-field performance has it all been part of a plot to sell off the club? Relegation (unthinkable) would make it almost impossible for Tigers to gain promotion with the current funding structure as the lack of cap in the championship means wealthy owners are able to fund large and expensive squads and resources. That eventuality would surely trigger a sale into private ownership. Or do consipracy theories merely mask incompetence.
I'm not cynical just experienced
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 am So persistent and deliberate has been the decline in on-field performance has it all been part of a plot to sell off the club? Relegation (unthinkable) would make it almost impossible for Tigers to gain promotion with the current funding structure as the lack of cap in the championship means wealthy owners are able to fund large and expensive squads and resources. That eventuality would surely trigger a sale into private ownership. Or do consipracy theories merely mask incompetence.
Interesting thought. One thing that occurs to me though is that if this did take place and we then won promotion back to the Premiership would our wage bill not bust the salary cap? I know others appear to be doing that anyway but we have always prided ourselves on keeping within the rules. Or is it a case of giving players say 3 season deals with the first season front loaded and then being lower in the next 2 seasons to fall within the salary cap? Perhaps someone with more insight into how these things work could enlighten me.

Another thought I had was that relegation could save us money on the wage bill for a season in that we might not have to find an expensive replacement for say Matt Toomua. Many on here keep saying that Joe Ford is championship standard so maybe we could keep him and save the money? :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Update on the petition. Now 329 signatures.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Anybody thinking 50 points for Racing?

Have we have gone into a big game on such a low?

How can fans of a team including the likes of Cole, Genge, Tualagi, May be having to watch matches through their fingers... that's if they can bear to watch in the first place?

These are the questions coming to my mind this Monday morning...