Tigers' decline

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers' decline

Post by ourla »

I am not writing a letter or signing a petition. If the board, coaches, players don't know/understand the situation, those things aren't going to change it.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

If there is one person I think should lose his job it's probably Glynn.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 am I am not writing a letter or signing a petition. If the board, coaches, players don't know/understand the situation, those things aren't going to change it.
Fair enough, but the last 5 years has shown beyond any doubt that the board, coaches, players either don't know/understand the situation and / or are incapable of doing anything to change it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Baz wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am This forum might be great for letting off steam, but, it's patently obvious that no one of consequence reads it. Might I suggest that fans who feel as disgusted as I do about the decline of our club, invest 5 minutes and a stamp, in writing a letter, expressing that disgust, to Peter Tom or Simon Cohen. If everyone who professes to feel strongly about the issue actually did this, I'm sure the message would get across.
They may read it but not take any notice of it
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Richard Cockerill- “Nothing’s changed, it’s got worse. If you’re going to make changes it has got to get better. If it doesn’t get better, then the people that make those changes have to take responsibility like the coaches have had to take responsibility.”
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Healey on Rugby Tonight, something like:

Leicester Tigers spend too much on infrastructure and not enough on the squad, the Board needs to think with their hearts more than their head

Andy Goode on the Rugby Pod also thinks it’s a recruitment problem, inferencing Glynn as “whoever the guy in charge is recruitment” and believes that the Tigers squad doesn’t have enough belief in them at the moment
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I respect the opinions of Cocker but Andy Goode is employed by Wasps and loses few opportunities to have a dig at Leicester. Austin of course never lets facts get in the way of saying something provocative. It is obvious from the accounts that we as a club spend up to the salary cap. The training facilities are excellent and are being improved at the moment. Our guys do not have to change in portacabins like some. Our marquee players may not be as highly paid as those elsewhere but we are not bankrupting the club either. Every seat in our ground has a reasonable view unlike at Bath where I on a recent visit I could see only about 8 yards of the goal area and that did not include the posts, they even had a steward supervisor who was unable to direct a gentleman to the toilet for the disabled, unlike our own well trained stewards.
Saracens ground is barely fit for purpose although they try very hard to make the best of it and their Pioneers are excellent.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

John, although AG and AH hip away regularly at Tigers, it does not mean that everything they say is malicious. There is no denying that onfield the club is in a poor way, the result of years of bad management and leadership on and off the field.
Personally I do not see a Mike Ford as DOR solution as a good fix. Apart from Stanko the coaching team has failed, and one only needs to look at the stats to see it, or worse sit through a match. I agree that a turnaround takes time (of which there isn't much), but it also needs knowledge and experience. What other top club would appoint an inexperienced head coach like GM especially after several years of decline? Cockers had little experience but took over a successful squad unlike the one bequeathed to GM. That the players like him is another worry, a coach should be respected first, and never fully liked.
If Tigers are to fail this season (no top 4, no ECC semi finals), there has to be a rescue plan in place now. Better still, prevent failure by acting now and replace the recruitment and coaching teams with experienced people. There are clearly available people, just look further afield.
Valhalla I am coming!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

fleabane wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm John, although AG and AH hip away regularly at Tigers, it does not mean that everything they say is malicious. There is no denying that onfield the club is in a poor way, the result of years of bad management and leadership on and off the field.
Personally I do not see a Mike Ford as DOR solution as a good fix. Apart from Stanko the coaching team has failed, and one only needs to look at the stats to see it, or worse sit through a match. I agree that a turnaround takes time (of which there isn't much), but it also needs knowledge and experience. What other top club would appoint an inexperienced head coach like GM especially after several years of decline? Cockers had little experience but took over a successful squad unlike the one bequeathed to GM. That the players like him is another worry, a coach should be respected first, and never fully liked.
If Tigers are to fail this season (no top 4, no ECC semi finals), there has to be a rescue plan in place now. Better still, prevent failure by acting now and replace the recruitment and coaching teams with experienced people. There are clearly available people, just look further afield.
Why would you act now when both the top 4 and ECC semi finals can still be achieved?
Before I get shot down, I'm talking mathematically and theoretically.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Because prevention is better than cure.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm Because prevention is better than cure.
You've clearly missed my point.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:45 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:27 pm Because prevention is better than cure.
You've clearly missed my point.
Because they have no chance of winning it anyway!
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

To the board and club servants it is so much more than a disappointing few hours every weekend, they have all invested much more heavily, in time, money and reputation and so will suffer more as a result, anyone who thinks the board are not fully aware of our frustrations and disappointment is deluded.
I too think the CEO and head of recruitment are not doing their jobs well and perhaps should carry the blame but I do not know the full picture, we must have faith that the board will either change tack and things will improve or hold course and things will get better, it may be that things will get even worse but it will not be because the board do not care or are stupid, sometimes you just have to accept that the fates are against you , that should be the thing we have learned from rugby, you can have the better team, the better game plan, 85% of the ball but still lose, we have all been to those sort of games, we have seen Tiger triumph when they should have been shafted and lose when we won every phase of the game, except the scoreboard.

No matter how frustrated we as supporters are, the board and club servants are all equally or probably more frustrated, write letters by all means sign petitions if it makes you feel better but we are just passengers on this currently, bumpy voyage, leaky vessel ( fill in as required)
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

There is far too much distraction on the playing side, as the Board appear to we wholly interested in infrastructure. The building of the "Robin Hood" stand was ok, but this new hotel I would suggest is at the forefront of the Board's minds. Without a decent playing side, the bread and butter of the club, it's supporters, will pull up stumps. Many season ticket holders will not renew them.

For five years now, the fans have had to endure the slow downward spiral, that has now reached rock bottom. It is agonising to see this happen, and heart breaking. Our once great club is in tatters now imo.

If the board continue to do nothing about changing the playing side, then I fear it will herald the demise of Tigers as a Premiership club. Our best players will be lost to us, and Welford Road will never be the same again.

I would appeal to the Board to act positively, NOW, on the playing side, but I am sure my appeal will be as dust in the wind.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

For the past few seasons I've remained positive that the team will improve, but sadly now I look at people like the poster above me who describe the current situation as "rock bottom" and I think that they are being very optimistic.

However, despite recent performances, there are a lot of very talented people at Tigers and therefore some improvement is very possible, even though a return to the top of the Premiership is likely years away at best (if ever). That said, there are a lot of very talented people at every club in the league these days, so further decline is also very possible!

For me, it is all down to a series of poor recruitment decisions, in both coaching and playing staff. The turnover of people is far too high and the club will never be successful until there is stability.