Anyone on the Board out there who cares?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone on the Board out there who cares?

Post by Ian Cant »

Is it me, but will we hear anyone from the board of directors make a comment
about the playing side?
Geordan Murphy needs to be given the authority to tell our talented squad to start delivering or face the axe. It is World Cup year so players ought to want to impress- Tigers’ is their “ bread and butter” so turn up and play together.
The backs could be the most dynamic in the Premiership and with injuries in the forwards clearing up then the forwards too should be a force.
The silence of the board is galling. At least Geordan has done the right thing today and banned the players from saying much to the press.
Surely it isn’t beyond our B of Ds to call an emergency meeting: tomorrow and hammer out how everyone has to up their levels of performance.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Anyone on the Board out there who cares?

Post by ellis9 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:15 pm Is it me, but will we hear anyone from the board of directors make a comment
about the playing side?
Geordan Murphy needs to be given the authority to tell our talented squad to start delivering or face the axe. It is World Cup year so players ought to want to impress- Tigers’ is their “ bread and butter” so turn up and play together.
The backs could be the most dynamic in the Premiership and with injuries in the forwards clearing up then the forwards too should be a force.
The silence of the board is galling. At least Geordan has done the right thing today and banned the players from saying much to the press.
Surely it isn’t beyond our B of Ds to call an emergency meeting: tomorrow and hammer out how everyone has to up their levels of performance.
I'd prefer the board to talk about the business side of the club and let the coaches and players talk about the rugby and performances.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Only about hotels, hospitality and money. The last thing they care about is quality of rugby on offer. Only when revenue falls will they notice. Do not advocate an increase in season tickets prices because if they do increase it will probably be spent on a restaurant or burger bar!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

As I've said before the Youngs, Fords, Tuilagi brothers and Dan Cole and their agents have total control of the club and the coaching staff, sadly Murphy is not strong enough to stand up to this cartel, they run the club and dictate selection policy, why has George Ford been made captain, because if he doesn't get his own way he throws his toys out of the pram, George and Mike Ford were sat together at the last home game and mark my words Mike Ford will be the next Tigers coach by the end of the season.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I'm sure the fans of whichever random Russian team we get in the Challenge Cup will really appreciate the new hotel.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Can you get in the Challenge Cup if you get relegated ?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

fortysix wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 am Can you get in the Challenge Cup if you get relegated ?
I’d prefer Jersey to Russia!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

But the board have only really made 3 coaching decisions, two of which are generally accepted as being correct.

1) Sack RC - which the majority on here would agree with, myself included. I think it was time for RC to move on. I've said it previously, it's incredibly hard for any coach to keep a team at the top for an extended period of time. Mauger was realistically the only option to take the helm midway through the season.

2) Hire MoC - which everyone thinks was a :censored: idea!

3) Sack MoC - which everyone agreed with, albeit waiting until the start of the season was a bad decision. But the transfers over the summer were generally taken positively by most on here. Again, Murphy is the only real option that the board have. Plus, he's still officially the interim head coach.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Leicester Tigers have Peter Tom acting as Chairman; we're in a situation that justifies the role and salary of a chairman to act, Peter has complete overwatch for how the club is being run, in line with club objectives. Simon Cohen has to go, right now the club does not have crystal clear direction or cohesion, the identity of the club is shot, still hanging on to days of old under the naive impression these days of success can be resurrected in exactly the same fashion.
The club requires a reboot, a whole new direction from a whole new leadership perspective that is bold, clear, exciting, expert, and progressive. Time is almost out for Tigers to utilise brand strength to fund a reboot.

I wont accept that standard drivel from Cohen that the board are working hard, feel the most pain, have made mistakes and seeking to get it right, yada yada.

Finally, a huge thanks you to Geordan Murphy, for providing leadership where others wont and or wont fund it. Without Geordan we'd be in even more of a mess.
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

Why would you sack Cohen without sacking Tom? After all as Chairman, the buck stops with him. After the complete shambles of the recent coaching appointments (Cockerill, Cockerill/Mauger, Mauger, O'Connors and now the interim Murphy in less than 4 years) and the appalling ways some senior players have been treated, why on earth would you expect him to get it right this time around?
So, unless there is a complete refresh of the whole Board, then the current mess will continue as now, with another short term, expedient decision made that does nothing for the long term health of the club. Relegation here we come!
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Well, in response to why not CEO vs chairman. The CEO runs the business, the club! The chairman is simply there to make sure the board don't miss anything crucial.
Given Simon Cohen works to the chairman I'd like to see the chairman roll up sleeved and get stuck in to delivering strategy and context
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

I've just had this email from Peter Tom in response to mine suggesting that he withdraw from re-election to the Board at last week's AGM:-

"Thank you for your email. Fully understand your concern. You are correct but at the recent AGM my re-election was confirmed with over 99% of the shareholders voting in favour of it and I intend to continue as Chairman to ensure that Tigers get back to where they should be. Thanks for your continued interest and hopefully I bump into you at one of the games."

Seems like 99% of the shareholders think he's doing a fine job. No further comment required.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ilsontiger1725 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm I've just had this email from Peter Tom in response to mine suggesting that he withdraw from re-election to the Board at last week's AGM:-

"Thank you for your email. Fully understand your concern. You are correct but at the recent AGM my re-election was confirmed with over 99% of the shareholders voting in favour of it and I intend to continue as Chairman to ensure that Tigers get back to where they should be. Thanks for your continued interest and hopefully I bump into you at one of the games."

Seems like 99% of the shareholders think he's doing a fine job. No further comment required.
Or are in his pocket?
Or not enough shareholders voting at AGMs?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Or, as is usually the case in this situation, there was no alternative offered.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:51 pm
Ilsontiger1725 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:49 pm I've just had this email from Peter Tom in response to mine suggesting that he withdraw from re-election to the Board at last week's AGM:-

Or are in his pocket?
Or not enough shareholders voting at AGMs?
I intend to continue as Chairman to ensure that Tigers get back to where they should be.

I going to assume he means back at the top and winning things. If so he'll ensure we get the right people in to support (or replace if necessary) those we have now. That to me means players, coaches, board members and any other staff member or department that isn't performing to the necessary level. Let's see if he's as good as his word or whether it's all talk and no action.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!