If you support a club.....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BarmyBamford

Re: If you support a club.....

Post by BarmyBamford »

A colleague and friend has supported Middlesborough FC for 60+ years and his son is now also a fan.
It's more than results and League position.
It's heart, hope and love.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I am a relative newcomer to this forum. I too went to school in Leicester, lived on a council off Aylestone Rd, went to a rugby playing grammar schools (which is where as a footballer I discovered rugby and the people), got in to matches free by selling programmes, saw the Australian schoolboys of the 70's with Ella and co. I saw awful City teams get relegated, and promoted and relegated (the brilliant Stringfellow and Fern). I saw Kirkpatrick AB's v The Midlands when Sid Going punched someone in a foggy ingoal), watched as we were beaten by Bath, Saints and Gloucester.

I live 150 miles away but have been to two home games this season, one away and yesterday booked a hotel for the Ulster game in January. Lots of us have credentials! I was not a glory seeker in the late 70's. I am not a glory seeker now.

I never played any high level rugby, but have a passion for the sport. I went to the Racing 92 game in January with a friend who is a former Tigers regular. He hadn't been to a game for years and was shocked by how disorganised and poorly coached they were. He was angry.

There was a post on this Forum yesterday along the lines of - yesterday was a Bristol banker, they're at home and they've got some decent players and are well coached. Hence a 31 point defeat not surprising. Last year Tigers played 11 premiership games at home, won 6 and lost 5. Average winning margin 8, average losing margin 6. So Bristol can expect to win their games at home, but evidently not Tigers.

I don't need my love or passion for the club to be questioned because I question on a forum what is happening at the club today. Each to their own, but for me families, are honest with each other, otherwise things go wrong, seriously wrong, as in my opinion they at present. If I chose to question the competence and direction of a CEO, that's the Chief Executive Officer, who in most well run businesses is a position of some import, I will do so. It has nothing to do with not supporting the club or being a fair weather supporter or a glory hunter. I was cheering Tigers on long before Mr Cohen and his best friend knew where Welford Road was, and in January I will do the 300 mile round trip, bear the cost of the diesel, the hotel room etc, willingly because I love the club, not the glory.
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

Like many on here I have been paying for my season ticket over many many seasons which allows me to support my team.

However over the last few season it has become obvious there is a problem within the club, and like many others I have waited patiently for these issues to be addressed. The issues relate not just to the playing side, but for me the club has lost its soul on and off the pitch.

As a supporter I have gone from getting to the ground early for something eat and drink and regular visits to the shop, to just turning up to watch Rugby, while complaints about service levels in the ground and quality in the shop appear to have gone unheeded. Now the performance on the pitch is such I have started leaving early with the option of getting an early bus more palatable than applauding the players of the pitch.

My problem is how do we as supporters influence the management of the club and the conclusion I have come to is that nothing will change until the BOD start seeing a fall off in revenues through attendance, sponsorship etc. As a club on the Rugby side I see us heading into a relegation battle with the potential for actual relegation and the disastorous effect on revenues this will have.

So I have a decision to make do I renew my season ticket and hope that the BOD get their act together something they have failed to do over the last few years, or leave the club after more than two decades being a season ticket holder and hope others do so the BOD actually realise how far the club has gone down...and as yet I don't know what I am going to do.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Look I don't mind the lows.

But when it's the lows that has been directly cause by shocking management from those up top, who also seem to mange to avoid any media pressure simply because they don't speak to the press and are now to a point where it seems they are untouchable.

It really :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 me off.

The players are trying but some are not good enough now, others don't seem to know what the system is.

My gut feeling is the board will most likely think to sack a club legend like Murphy without giving him the resources, try and pick someone up like Cheika after the world cup, but can't so will settle for someone like Hourcade and the cycle will keep on spinning with those up top dangling their coaches out to dry when things get tough.

and in those situations I just think to myself why.

I like to think to myself as a happyish clapper *(That sounds wrong).
I get tired of hearing Glynn and Cohen spin the same old :censored: over and over at every fan function, saying oh this wasn't my call it was the coaches, oh such and such wanted too much when I know they didn't and We follow the cap unlike some clubs (Followed by audience laughing and clapping).

Anyway i'm going to have a drink I have the day off tomorrow. :smt030

I'm going to keep my season ticket and I'm going to go to the games because it's my club and I really wish I could say otherwise but I know I would be lying to myself.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

It's a shame that the players and the BOD don't have the same loyalty and passion as the posters on this post have. While ever the punters keep coughing up for season tickets then the BOD will do diddly squat about the current situation. After all it's not the supporters that the BOD care about it's the how much money they can eek out of the supporters for watching the mediocre rubbish that is now being served up on the pitch by these so called international players. Maybe a couple of years in the lower league will give the BOD the kick up the a#@e that is needed to get this club back to it's glory days. I won't hold my breath.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Excellent post and frankly giving up your season ticket is a deeply personal dilemma. Some on hear consider such a thought as heracy, and others will empathise and some have already left.

My view is that nothing shall change at Tigers until the supporters continue to vote with their wallet.

Rugby at Tigers has been sick for 5 years and we are still no where near remission let alone full recovery
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Louis

Post by Louis »

Here you go, I'll solve this for you:

1) I love this club more than mere results (although results are nice). You don't have to.

2) I love this club as long as it gets results (although the club is nice). You don't have to.

3) I love this club but I am willing to not renew a season ticket/not turn up to matches in order to get my concerns about results and the club across. You don't have to.

4) I love this club and I am willing to renew a season ticket/turn up to matches in order to support the club regardless of results. You don't have to.

5) I do not love this club at all.

6) I am a Northampton Saints fan.

Pick your poison.

I am 1) and 4). I don't care if you're not. It takes all sorts to make a world go round.

I don't care if you pick 2). I think people who pick 3) are misguided. People who pick 5) are clearly wrong and should be more pitied than censured. People who pick 6) will be the first against the wall when the Revolution comes.

Pick a number and stop going over this old ground.
Louis

Post by Louis »

Oh yeah, and whilst I'm at it, what is it with the performative nonsense on here?

"I am the MOST supportive fan because the club can never do wrong"
"I've been here years..."
"I am the MOST supportive fan because I am willing to repeatedly punch myself in the face, never turn up to a match, burn my season ticket, watch Northampton, and chop off my Gentleman Vegetables, to send a message to the Evil Board/Cockers..."

Just take a pause, my dudes! It's eminently mockable.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

As is the club at this juncture
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Louis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am Oh yeah, and whilst I'm at it, what is it with the performative nonsense on here?

"I am the MOST supportive fan because I am willing to repeatedly punch myself in the face, never turn up to a match, burn my season ticket, watch Northampton, and chop off my Gentleman Vegetables, to send a message to the Evil Board/Cockers..."

And your mockery of genuine Tigers fans helps how?
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

sapajo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:07 am Rugby at Tigers has been sick for 5 years and we are still no where near remission let alone full recovery
Problem is we've tried palliative care when what is needed is radical surgery.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I will always go to the Tigers game because shouting from the Crumbie is much better than shouting at the telly. That’s all I need to say.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

teds wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 pm
Louis wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:56 am Oh yeah, and whilst I'm at it, what is it with the performative nonsense on here?

And your mockery of genuine Tigers fans helps how?
Indeed well said :smt038
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

If you support a club...you will have to share it with other people who support the same club. Some of those people will be complete and utter numpties.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:02 pm If you support a club for its legends, one day, those legends will retire.

If you support a club for its stars, one day, those stars will depart.

If you support a club for its glory, there will come dark days that will test your loyalty.

If you support a club because its crest is engraved on your heart, then no matter how many legends and stars leave and no matter how dark those dark days are, your devotion will remain unbroken.
The devotion of the fan base in not in question, management is!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat