Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Simon Cohen and Ged Glynn

Post by sapajo »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 pm
fortysix wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 pm That says it all.
Bin the flipping Hotel and get the team back to previous levels so the Stadium isnt half full.
20,000 at the last match
Humbug.
The hotel doesn't impinge on the playing budget, which is capped. We spend up to the cap. So how does any development that may enhance the non-playing side damage the playing side, the two being separate?
It's like the 'sack Cohen' stuff -why? He doesn't scout the players and he doesn't coach the team. so exactly what would sacking him accomplish, since the architects of our travails are still sat in the Board Room?
:smt017 :smt017 :smt017
For me the elephant in the room is do we actually spend upto the cap? If so then why is there such a glaring gulf in squad strength compared to the likes of Bath, Sorries, Wasps, Bristol etc? The only possible reasons for our lack of strength in depth are:-

a) we actually do not spend upto the cap
b) we are not signing quality players
c) we are not breaking the salary cap

Answers gratefully received?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 pm The hotel doesn't impinge on the playing budget, which is capped. We spend up to the cap. So how does any development that may enhance the non-playing side damage the playing side, the two being separate?
It's like the 'sack Cohen' stuff -why? He doesn't scout the players and he doesn't coach the team. so exactly what would sacking him accomplish, since the architects of our travails are still sat in the Board Room?
One, a player cap that almost no one else takes heed to, two what other budget does it affect? Coaching? Academy?
Exactly JP.

We always used to be able to offer world class facilties off the field, a promise to look after players, but now we have a cut price coaching set up, and every one else in the league has caught up with their facilities. Yes, we have the best purpose build stadium in the world to entertain our coperate partners, but can we match anyone in the coaching department anymore?

No one has ever specified what the playing budget it, and at no point have we been told that the hotel is seperate from the rugby budget, or that our rugby budget has not been impacted by the construction work.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

From the Crumbie stand, my view is that whoever has been negotiating contracts has done an appalling job in recent years. Good players have left, other players have perhaps been given more money than they are worth and more players than we would have liked have decided not to join us.
Having been involved in extensive negotiations in my business career, the key skill for a negotiator is a sales skills. You have to sell the other party to agree to what you want whether it is to join the club, stay with the club or to accept a lower salary than they are demanding. Once an agreement has been made you then use lawyers to put your agreement into a contract. You never use Lawyers to negotiate. The lawyers I have known are unable to sell and therefore to negotiate effectively.
The other area that is the responsibility of the MD is the culture of the club and I believe our club culture is not anywhere near as good as it used to be. If the culture is wrong then people are more inclined to leave, less inclined to join and to want more money to stay.
Over the last 5-10 years of steady decline, we have tried southern hemisphere coaches and ex-player coaches with the only success being under Pat Howard. It is time for Mr Cohen to take responsibility for his continual failure over this period.
I believe we will only get back on an upward path once we have a new MD and DoR. The only question for me is how bad do things need to get before this happens. Do we need to get relegated first or to see match day attendances of less than 10,000 before this happens?
Jez

Only Winners Win!
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

As I have pointed out to various football fans over the past five years, Tigers are not the rugby equivalent of Manchester United, or Chelsea, or Liverpool.

We're Nottingham Forest.

Jeremy, in his previous post, is correct. I would add that it is clear where the board's priorities are and it has been for some time. Their only passion is for money.
NONAME
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by NONAME »

The boards priority must be the future of the club. The balancing of the books and bringing income from other activities besides the playing side is a must for the Club to survive (eg The Hotel). Long term objectives dictate short term aims. With regards players and their contracts it seems that the problem lies with the Players agents who are demanding more and more salary and create stories like those at Wasps at the moment. I have even heard of an Academy Graduate demanding his wage be doubled as he has made a handful of senior appearances. This is madness, where his the loyalty.

Its clear both Mr Cohen and Mr Glynn have their work cut out, finding affordable players, negotiating contracts and trying to balance the books and so far I believe they have done a reasonable job.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 pm As I have pointed out to various football fans over the past five years, Tigers are not the rugby equivalent of Manchester United, or Chelsea, or Liverpool.

We're Nottingham Forest.

Jeremy, in his previous post, is correct. I would add that it is clear where the board's priorities are and it has been for some time. Their only passion is for money.
In what world are we nottingham forest?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm
VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:35 pm As I have pointed out to various football fans over the past five years, Tigers are not the rugby equivalent of Manchester United, or Chelsea, or Liverpool.

We're Nottingham Forest.

In what world are we nottingham forest?
In the world of people who just can't say anything good about Tigers.

If it makes them feel better, let them carry on. They're the ones making themselves look silly.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigers are very clearly the definition of Manchester United!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Hotel.
The hotel thing was effectively thrust on Tigers when the owner of Granby Halls put the land on the market on a ‘best use’ basis. Tigers could put in a bid for the land to enhance the estate and generate revenue, or alternatively Opal Court-type high rise student building/s.

Infrastructure cannot be ignored. Income from the Hotel and m/s Car Park will help to upkeep the stadium to the necessary stars c

Cash flow - and buy this/that magic fix...
Tigers do not have limitless funds to be able to just chuck money at a problem.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:40 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:52 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:55 pm The hotel doesn't impinge on the playing budget, which is capped. We spend up to the cap. So how does any development that may enhance the non-playing side damage the playing side, the two being separate?
One, a player cap that almost no one else takes heed to, two what other budget does it affect? Coaching? Academy?
Exactly JP.

We always used to be able to offer world class facilties off the field, a promise to look after players, but now we have a cut price coaching set up, and every one else in the league has caught up with their facilities. Yes, we have the best purpose build stadium in the world to entertain our coperate partners, but can we match anyone in the coaching department anymore?

No one has ever specified what the playing budget it, and at no point have we been told that the hotel is seperate from the rugby budget, or that our rugby budget has not been impacted by the construction work.
Yes, we have been told that the hotel is separate from the rugby budget.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ent-update

"Tigers chief executive Simon Cohen said of the update: “Since announcing the news to build a hotel and car park here at Welford Road, we’ve been holding talks with a variety of property developers to ensure the right fit for the project."

"Tigers are committed to funding the first team to the highest possible level, so we have decided to work with a development partner for the hotel project – much as we would have liked to have the millions to build it ourselves."

http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/eastmidl ... gers-hotel

"Tigers have signed a deal with Marshall CDP, a company which will contribute the majority of the £22 million needed to build the hotel"
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:39 pm I wonder about the position of Ben Kay and Rory Underwood.

If I were an ex-player on the BoD and I had contributed to and agreed the changes that have led to the present predicament, I would resign.

If I had been arguing against those changes but had been ignored, I would resign.

So............. :smt017
I am glad you mention Ben Kay as he seems to know what is wrong and what is needed when he speaks during commentary, it's strange that he does not then get something done about it or is it a fact that he maybe on the board but doesn't have any power or influence?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm
strawclearer wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:39 pm I wonder about the position of Ben Kay and Rory Underwood.

If I were an ex-player on the BoD and I had contributed to and agreed the changes that have led to the present predicament, I would resign.

If I had been arguing against those changes but had been ignored, I would resign.

So............. :smt017
I am glad you mention Ben Kay as he seems to know what is wrong and what is needed when he speaks during commentary, it's strange that he does not then get something done about it or is it a fact that he maybe on the board but doesn't have any power or influence?
Depending on the support from other board members on a given issue they could call for a vote which would get their views registered in the minutes. From a governance perspective, although it wouldn't change anything, it would show the level of debate and agreement or otherwise. If they have a minority view this would clearly not be possible.

It could be of course that they are non-voting board members in which case their presence is pretty token. It may be the Members with a financial committment are the voting members.
As Good As It Gets