Bristol v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Bristol v Tigers

Post by Yorkietiger »

I was shouted down last week when calling for the entire coaching staff, Stanko excepted to be removed. After yet another embarrassing performance I have not changed my view. Being an ex-player does not qualify you to coach at this level, the side are going backwards, our board need to do the necessary, and by that I mean firstly finding a new head coach and defence coach. Then as their final action, draw up their own P40s and move over and let someone else more capable take over.
Grumpy of Crumbie

Post by Grumpy of Crumbie »

Watched it on 365 and wish I hadn't! Much as I'd like to find a positive, I can't.

Taking nothing away from Bristol and accepting 14 men we cannot make a line break or retain quality ball. We lack pace, commitment and guile. These are basic requirements in the game of rugby union. Add to that the naivety and frequency we give away penalties and the number of missed one on one tackles and we did well to only ship 41.

I don't think any individual is to blame and I don't think wholesale change (again) is the answer. The board, coaches, players need to take themselves away for a couple of days behind closed doors and get it all out there. If it takes a few beers to bring out everyones feelings then so be it. Sod the missed training it's not making us any better anyway, time for a drains up and a bit of finger pointing. This is Leicester Tigers for god's sake, I've seen more commitment and togetherness in most junior teams.
If you don't go in hard it's not a tackle it's an insult.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

I’m doubting my own sanity after today. Just spent a great deal of cash coming down to Bristol to support the team. Hotel, food transport etc. I feel that I am more committed than most of the players on the pitch today. Their body language was poor after the first try, let alone after the red card. Johnny May spend the match shrugging his shoulders or ushering opponents to the try line. But I shouldn’t be too hard on him alone because the onpitch attitude was abysmal. Too depressed for words at the moment. We weren’t even second best today. Cancelled membership on Monday after 25 years of support.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

drc_007 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:07 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:57 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:13 pm Well the Board has brought us to this juncture through their bungling incompetent recruitment both on and off the pitch. Kay and Underwood should go and take Cohen and Glyn with them

We need to clear out a raft of overpaid has beens not fit to wear the jersey.

We need a world class DOR, defence and forwards coach instead of the clique of ex tigers who simply are not up to it.

Action must be taken immediately or else the club will continue to decay and decline.

It will take years to for us to get back to the top but it must start now!
wouldn't say no to Rowntree though.
Great respect for Rowntree but we have to look further than ex-Tigers surely.
Depends who is about really and if they are going to be free agent next season.
I wouldn't discount a coach purely on him being an ex tiger IMO that would be cutting your nose to spite your face, it needs to be the best available who will fit into the long term vision.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Well that wasn't great, played into Bristol's hands a bit with selection and tactics IMO.
TPN had to start against a side with Thacker in it and we've all seen why, Toomua is the best 10 here, Wells had to start somewhere and how Harrison can miss out to White and how Youngs can constantly just walk into the team is just baffling.
Anyone knows that it's not wise to play Bristol's way in Bristol but for some unknown reason Leicester decided to try.
The card had to have an impact though, Leicester's defence hadn't been great with 15 let alone down to 14, a perfect scenario for Bristol, Leicester never recovered.
All things considered the result and scorelone should be no great surprise.
Leicester are easy pickings at present, teams haven't got to do that much to win, just allow Leicetser to make their own trouble.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep, Toomua passing was heads and shoulders above the rest today those passes to our new winger the touchline was just world class.
20yearsatiger
Tiger Cub

Post by 20yearsatiger »

Enough is enough. Thank you Geordan for all your service but you need to do the right thing and acknowledge you’re out of your depth and go. Bakewell, Deacon the same.
We have to change now or we could soon be in real real trouble.
New signings start in Jan for next year and who would want to come to us right now.
Enough is enough
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm Yep, Toomua passing was heads and shoulders above the rest today those passes to our new winger the touchline was just world class.
It's all very predictable.
A man down in midfield it's an idea to miss it out, if the ball is quicker and if the execution is better.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:25 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:15 pm Yep, Toomua passing was heads and shoulders above the rest today those passes to our new winger the touchline was just world class.
A man down in midfield it's an idea to miss it out, if the ball is quicker and if the execution is better.
Which it wasn't
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:37 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:25 pm
Which it wasn't
You're not wrong!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Geordan Murphy in post-match interview:

"We're in a bit of a hole and we've just got to keep digging."

He's not wrong - you really couldn't make it up.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Baz

Post by Baz »

by TTRITH » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:52 pm
Stuart Lancaster (Head), John Wells (Forwards), Mike Catt (Backs, Attacking), Joe Worsley (Defense) are all out of contract end of Season....

You make a lot of sense. Too much, I suspect, for the board!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Well that was disappointing. But 14 men for 3/4 of the game was always going to be tough. The real issue for me was there was no discernible strategy to manage the one-man-down situation - or they just weren't able to implement it. Either way it's a concern. Somewhere there is a good team struggling to get out. I hope someone finds it before the next round of the prem.

Anyone know where they got their number 2, seems like a useful player. Although apparently he's only in the side because of his Dad........
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

.........at least the city won.......every cloud fellahs???

......ok.....I'll get me coat.

It's hard to add any comment to that already posted. I really do feel quite down about it all. Especially after watching a video today where Martin Johnson talked to an Irish audience about the intensity of Tigers training of old. "Losing was not accepted. You can't just turn up, get beat and say at least we got paid."

I'm beginning to wonder if the club means as much to those directly involved with it as it does to a Remy swigging, blues playing, ex prop now living with the enemy in Wales?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"