Errors?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Errors?

Post by DingDong »

Another statement released with the same old generic rhetoric, "we have to be more accurate", "we have to be better", "we're giving ourselves too much to do", "we keep talking about learning", "it's a tough part of the season" blah blah blah.

Our squad is full of past and present internationals, the clubs facilities are some of the best, we have some hugely exciting young prospects, but for all the excuses trotted out each and every time we lose, we cannot compete at the top level because we don't play the type of game that can win any league at the moment.

Watching other matches this weekend, Bristol v. Chiefs, Sarries v. Sale, Saints(!) v. Wasps etc - all the top sides playing a different level to us even with their internationals away, but most of all it's entertaining rugby unlike the stale and predictable Tigers style of play.

All the die hards i'm sure will disagree, but Murphy and Deacon haven't a scooby doo how to coach a team to compete at the highest level. You can say it takes time, its a learning curve, but our current head coach has been assisting for many years now so should be showing signs of the quality needed, but isn't. We need a coach who not only can coach at the top level, but a coach that can unify ALL 15 players rather than play games with 15 individuals we seem to have at the moment.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Errors?

Post by jgriffin »

We need a professional defence coach and to offload some expensive players (the Marquees don't count). However there are relatively few players immediately available to us, and ££££ talks (viz Briz). Given the decaying state of Wasps and their fans despair, think it worries several clubs.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am Another statement released with the same old generic rhetoric, "we have to be more accurate", "we have to be better", "we're giving ourselves too much to do", "we keep talking about learning", "it's a tough part of the season" blah blah blah.

Our squad is full of past and present internationals, the clubs facilities are some of the best, we have some hugely exciting young prospects, but for all the excuses trotted out each and every time we lose, we cannot compete at the top level because we don't play the type of game that can win any league at the moment.

Watching other matches this weekend, Bristol v. Chiefs, Sarries v. Sale, Saints(!) v. Wasps etc - all the top sides playing a different level to us even with their internationals away, but most of all it's entertaining rugby unlike the stale and predictable Tigers style of play.

All the die hards i'm sure will disagree, but Murphy and Deacon haven't a scooby doo how to coach a team to compete at the highest level. You can say it takes time, its a learning curve, but our current head coach has been assisting for many years now so should be showing signs of the quality needed, but isn't. We need a coach who not only can coach at the top level, but a coach that can unify ALL 15 players rather than play games with 15 individuals we seem to have at the moment.
Why have you decided to use Saints v Wasps as an example? I wouldn't call Saints a top side and Wasps have won absolutely nothing in years!

Also, I wish people would keep saying others teams play "entertaining rugby". What is entertaining to some, isn't to others. I'd much prefer to watch a "stick it up the jumper and fall over the try line" 5-0 victory than a "throw the ball around and run around at 100mph" performance and lose 52-51.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 amOur squad is full of past and present internationals
Except for the last game ours wasn't was it.
DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 amWatching other matches this weekend, Bristol v. Chiefs, Sarries v. Sale, Saints(!) v. Wasps etc - all the top sides playing a different level to us even with their internationals away, but most of all it's entertaining rugby unlike the stale and predictable Tigers style of play.
Did you watch every game in full or is this just hyperbole? And why select this week. What about the Scarlets game, or the Saints game at Twickenham?
DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 amAll the die hards i'm sure will disagree, but Murphy and Deacon haven't a scooby doo how to coach a team to compete at the highest level. You can say it takes time, its a learning curve, but our current head coach has been assisting for many years now so should be showing signs of the quality needed, but isn't.
You don't become a great Head Coach or DoR overnight, especially when you are taking over a mismanaged team. I have absolutely no doubt that Murphy would have done a number of thoughts differently were he in charge over the last three years. But he was working under others to their blueprint whilst at the same time learning his trade. He is now been given the job of heading things up and he has largely young coaching team work with him. To expect a transformation in such a short space of time is crazy.

Note: Murphy may turn out to be a failure. I really don't know. But I do think he deserves the time and patience to find out.
Baz

Post by Baz »

by DingDong » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am

100% right! At least we were spared "There are lots of positives we can take from this game"! As things stand, we are barely a premiership side. I can't think of a single side which we could be sure of beating, even at Welford Road. Are players no longer taught how to tackle properly? Flailing an arm out at waist level, and hoping for the best, won't cut it! Academy players need to be brought on, but today's Premiership is beyond most of them at present. I remember GM as a young player, and as one of THE great FB's, but I doubt that he has the force of personality to put Tigers on their feet. We ought, at least, to be researching a strong DoR, while giving Geordan a chance.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Baz wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:12 pm by DingDong » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 am

100% right! At least we were spared "There are lots of positives we can take from this game"! As things stand, we are barely a premiership side. I can't think of a single side which we could be sure of beating, even at Welford Road. Are players no longer taught how to tackle properly? Flailing an arm out at waist level, and hoping for the best, won't cut it! Academy players need to be brought on, but today's Premiership is beyond most of them at present. I remember GM as a young player, and as one of THE great FB's, but I doubt that he has the force of personality to put Tigers on their feet. We ought, at least, to be researching a strong DoR, while giving Geordan a chance.
Cockers was a strong DOR and the senior players got rid of him. Perhaps the problem is that the players have to much sway and are now overly comfortable with the status quo as a result.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Baz wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:12 pm Academy players need to be brought on, but today's Premiership is beyond most of them at present.
That's the spirit. With that kind of positivity we'll soon be back on the top of the pile.
Baz wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:12 pms, but I doubt that he has the force of personality to put Tigers on their feet. We ought, at least, to be researching a strong DoR, while giving Geordan a chance.
I am sure that would fill him with confidence and ensure he does the job to the best of his ability, knowing that they are openly scheming for a successor.
Baz

Post by Baz »

ourla » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:06 pm

"That's the spirit. With that kind of positivity we'll soon be back on the top of the pile."

"I am sure that would fill him with confidence and ensure he does the job to the best of his ability, knowing that they are openly scheming for a successor."

So, on the basis of what you have seen, you believe that the academy players can get us back to where we should be? I said "at present", and I stick by it.
As for filling him with confidence, I couldn't care less! I am sick of seeing my club become a joke in the premiership. If he doesn't already have the confidence, then he's the wrong man.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just need a senior coach á la Lancaster. I have complete faith in Murphy, but not complete faith in some of the players who take the field.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

We need more bodies in the coaching setup, simple as. Look at Salvi for Chiefs, absolutely killing it in the defence coach role that we currently lack. Also worth noting that Geordie is still listed as Interim Head Coach on our website!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I was seldom if ever a "happy clapper" in all the years I've posted on his forum but frankly the tone of this thread is rubbish.
The Glaws game was played with a team which (with some noted exceptions), was pretty much a second and third string team.
Had it been a mostly first choice team you would have a point but it wasn't and you don't.
Frankly the best coach in the world would have struggled to make that team able to do one over Glaws.
As for Smurph and his coaches? Get behind them and encourage them. There are plenty of decent youngsters here and they
will come good when surrounded by our best and most experienced players.

As for the clichés? Deano, Pat, etc etc, all rattled them out "A bad day at the office" even goes back to Chalky.

When these ludicrous AI's are out of the way, I am confident we will get it together.

PS Where is TigerBurnie these days?
A life long Tiger
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Smudge wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm

PS Where is TigerBurnie these days?
Try the unoffy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

ellis9 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:01 amWhy have you decided to use Saints v Wasps as an example?
...because Wasps have consistently been in the top 4 for the past 3 years including finishing first 2 years ago.

DingDong wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 amAlso, I wish people would keep saying others teams play "entertaining rugby". What is entertaining to some, isn't to others.
...entertainment is being able to compete with the best and to do that you can't stick it up your jumper any more, as the great Cockerill found out (and he was great in his prime).
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Smudge wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:00 pm I was seldom if ever a "happy clapper" in all the years I've posted on his forum but frankly the tone of this thread is rubbish.
Sorry not to meet your exalted expectations, I'll keep my thesaurus and Robert's Rules of Order handy next time.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Yes, we are making too many basic errors, but far more importantly, we appear to be muddled and unsure ourselves. This currently lies on the shoulder's of G.M. Great player that he was, there is no sign that he has improved anything since the departure of M.O.C.

It is abundantly apparent, that we have been technically overtaken by not just Sarries and Exeter, but also the likes of Gloucester, and Wasps. It truly hurts to say it, but we must be brutally honest that this is so.

We need a world quality head coach, and perhaps have to go back to basics, and work our way back to the top. As things stand now, we haven't a cat's chance in hell, of moving forward.