Tigers vs Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Saracens

Post by Ian Cant »

The players don’t play ineffectivegly on purpose. I don’t think some players have the necessary skills, or mindset to play at Premiership level but that isn’t their fault. Our BoD has been more interested in building a hotel than realising that the fan base is diminishing so without a wealthy owner the club will struggle both on and off the pitch.
Denton, Spencer, Thompson and Eastmond are the sort of players we need.
I still cannot understand why Tigers let enthusiastic, skilful players like Harry Thacker go but that is now past.
When Richard Cockerill went the BoD had the chance to make radical changes but went for a similar, but less successful coach in MOC even though his time at Leinster was a failure- look at Leinster since he left!
I think what we would all like is to see some of the mistakes being made start to be eradicated. The First Fifteen looks very good but at the moment the rest of the squad is either inexperienced( yet, like in the days of Moody, Smithy, Ellis,if you are good enough age doesnt matter) or simply not good enough.
None of the clubs outside the top six tonight can feel safe from relegation and, with the Six Nations to come, Tigers could be in a relegation scrap this year. The next two league games are huge so forget Europe, points are need over the next two weeks.
One game at a time: come on Tigers turn up BIG TIME v Sarries.
My voice ( loud supportive one) will get behind the team v Sarries tomorrow.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:09 pm
We need a Bob Dwyer type......Chieka post RWC?
No thanks. I doubt Doc Emmett Brown or Marty McFly could take Australia backwards any faster than Cheika!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:09 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:29 pm

I think the main problem for Geordan is that there is little time for him to rebuild everything. MOC left nothing bar a scrum when he left, there was no attack, no defence, no lineout and little S&C work done. There was nothing. Geordan and his team are building from the ground up, you can't do S&C work during the season otherwise the players will be too tired to train and play. It's incremental gains and those increments are going to be marginal. MOC wasted pre season and was rightly sacked because of his ineptitude.

Sadly it's going to take a long time to turn things around. The selections I disagree with but I think at present where we are trying to rebuild the structure of the team Geordan is hoping that the experienced players will help guide the team. The young lads are still getting game time and being developed but gradually. There's a lot of pressure at the minute and the older heads are being back to take that responsibility. Frankly it's time they do a bit more because at the minute the young guns are showing them up.
That's tosh Sam and completely missing the point which is this, how can a coach have enough influence in a failing player led environment!
I must be watching a different team to you because the young players have contributed next to nothing, I'll state this now and folk can remember it, that young lot are not as good as being made out and have the potential as a group to lead to relegation!
It would also appear that there may be constraints on Murphy be it a higher power or attitudes, that being the case it's entirely possible to form the opinion that whether you think he was good enough or not MOC might've had the same constraints.
You must indeed be watching a different team to me if you don't think Kerr, Heyes, Wells, Hardwick and Olowfela have come in and done at least as well as the established first team squad players. Reffell, White and the young lock/6 who's name escapes me have shown promise.

How is it a player led environment? The players neither select themselves nor the tactics. MOC was allowed two summers to adjust the squad to his liking and implement a coherent game plan and left with nothing in place. I know from previous comments you have soft spot for him but he was a complete failure. To suggest MOC has similar constraints to Murphy is also gibberish, MOC was given every opportunity to build something and achieved nothing leaving Murphy to pick up the pieces.
More posturing tosh!!!
Gibberish? Is Ford Mk2 starting tomorrow or not, two different coaches picking the same underperforming player, puzzling! :smt017
Watched Hardwick? The player has hardly played, solid opinion that!
Your lock/6 has been so promising that you can't even remember the name! :smt005
Soft spot for MOC? Yes along with every sacked coach!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:43 pm
No thanks. I doubt Doc Emmett Brown or Marty McFly could take Australia backwards any faster than Cheika!
He would shake it up, that's what's needed, he has done the job elsewhere, tbh coaching Aussie men's teams in many sports seems an interesting proposition at present.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The young players are very young, Heyes I believe will be Premiership starting quality in two years time. Hardwick will be the bench fly half by the end of this season. Olowfela will be a regular on the bench and could be pushing for first team but is finding things difficult at the moment, he will come through it. Sam Lewis and Cameron Jordan good players but need a couple of years. Kerr looks ok and is improving but regardless of what others say he is still well behind Tom Youngs.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Let's hope that more Tigers' fans than recent games will come in through the turnstiles and back their team. Saracens are fielding a good team and if the weather's good, it could be an entertaining game.
Saracens will surely start as favourites but Tigers are quite capable of upsetting the odds and may sneak a win.
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:30 pm Let's hope that more Tigers' fans than recent games will come in through the turnstiles and back their team. Saracens are fielding a good team and if the weather's good, it could be an entertaining game.
Saracens will surely start as favourites but Tigers are quite capable of upsetting the odds and may sneak a win.
Well the forecast is good, but I won't be there as Sunday's just don't work for my family.....

I will hope to watch a victory on the recording, but never watch a defeat on record, so fear it may get the delete treatment. Sincerely hope I'm wrong, there's nothing I like more than watching the Tigers win when I know already they've won!! Much better for my blood pressure, says my Doc!

Anyway Robes what's with "Always cooks"? Where does that come from?

Of course the motto for Leicester is semper eadem (always the same) and that doesn't make much sense these days either!!
Soggypitch
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

strawclearer wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:43 pm
Like!!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Cheika will be available in the New Year.Just hope our Board don't go down that road..
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:52 pm
Anyway Robes what's with "Always cooks"? Where does that come from?

Urban Dictionary: semper in excreta
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20excreta
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

norfolkexpat wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:32 am Cheika will be available in the New Year.Just hope our Board don't go down that road..
A coach that has won both the Super Rugby title and the Heineken Cup. He's struggling with Australia but let's face it Australia have been struggling for years. Took them to the final at the last world cup and won the 2015 world coach of the year award.

Whether we could bear the moaning is a different story.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I know this can't and won't happen but Manu has played about 15 mins of rugby in the last 5 weeks and that was yesterday but surely he can't be too tired etc to at least be on the bench today???? The same logic can be applied to George who again only played 15 yesterday but did play last weekend against Japan but it is still not much rugby. As I say I know it won't happen - just a thought in my little ole ed
Hehehehehehehehe
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:03 am
norfolkexpat wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:32 am Cheika will be available in the New Year.Just hope our Board don't go down that road..
A coach that has won both the Super Rugby title and the Heineken Cup. He's struggling with Australia but let's face it Australia have been struggling for years. Took them to the final at the last world cup and won the 2015 world coach of the year award.

A coach that has never coached in the Premiership, which is what Tigers prefer.

Anyway, I hope Murphy gets given the job permanently.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’m putting this out there, I think we might just pull a win out the bag today. Reasons to be positive:

Forwards should be fired up after Glocs to prove they can match up physically
O’Connor is massive for us and makes us a far better team when he’s playing
Holmes gives us real gas in the back 3
Owen can’t be as bad as last weekend
Olowefela is going to come good soon (today?)
Spencer is back for extra grunt at set piece and loose
Wells, White, Hardwick, Worth can all impact off the bench
We are at home

My prediction is a tight game, Tigers on top at scrum, kick a few pens and win by 5(ish)

Bear in mind I’m usually wrong mind!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:03 am

A coach that has never coached in the Premiership, which is what Tigers prefer.

Anyway, I hope Murphy gets given the job permanently.
I too hope Murphy retains the head coach role. I'd like to see a DOR mentor though, ideally someone who knows how to organise a defence. Deans or Howard etc. The coaching staff are very short on experience.

The last comment was in response to a lot of the negativity Cheika was getting. He's not a bad coach just the next one to be struggling to turn around the fortunes of the Wallabies.