Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saracens

Post by mol2 »

ourla wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:52 pm
drc_007 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 pm Not been impressed with Thompstone this season
I remember people saying the same about Goneva... until he left.
Not quite a good comparison. One a top international, the other a good club player.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:54 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:49 pm
Spicer wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm Holmes isn't in the Wales squad.
And Evans who was diabolically greedy and inefficient, remains, yet Holmes, who was efficient, worked well with Williams and covered Evans' errors, isn't.
Looks more like a one-cap stitch-up than anything now, as suspected.
Give him a cap and stop him being selected by England at a later date
Unlikely given the production line of back three players coming through for England. Garland wanted to have a look at a third choice fullback who is equally happy on the wing. At 26 Holmes is a developed and well rounded player as longer as he came into camp and didn't bomb then Garland would have been happy adding depth to his squad pre world cup.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Geordan cannot do much about our attack given the players we are left with when the Internationals are on. Not altogether the players’ faults as, unlike other sides we never seem to put similar players on the pitch. Ford, under Geordan, looks back to his best, so now Hardwick has to be groomed to be the number 2 fly half. He is probably more like Andy Goode but Goodey rescued us and saved Newcastle from being relegated so if Hardwick is given time, responsibility and guidance from Matt Tomua and Ford things will look up. Eastmond is another who has shown the desire and creativity for this level but then, at the moment we struggle.
As for the BoD, I too find their lack of input more frustrating than anything else. Does Peter Tom still attend matches?
I hope to cheer the team on to victory on Sunday but my head knows Sarries look the stronger side.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Saracens have just appointed Nick Kennedy as head of Recruitment.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leicester Tigers (v Saracens, Welford Road, Sunday 3.00pm)
15 Jonah Holmes
14 Adam Thompstone
13 Gareth Owen
12 Kyle Eastmond
11 Jordan Olowofela
10 Joe Ford
9 Sam Harrison
1 Greg Bateman
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Will Spencer
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Mike Williams
7 Brendon O’Connor
8 Sione Kalamafoni
Replacements
16 Jake Kerr
17 Facundo Gigena
18 Gaston Cortes
19 Harry Wells
20 Mike Fitzgerald
21 Ben White
22 Tom Hardwick
23 George Worth

Geordie why do you do this to me :smt009 :smt010
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Ordinarily you would say that is a pretty good starting XV with the notable exception of Joe Ford, who must offer up something we are not seeing. But our form all season has been patchy. Hopefully we have a going day!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Really.......no lessons learnt......clueless.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Saracens: 15 Alex Goode, 14 Alex Lozowski, 13 Nick Tompkins, 12 Brad Barritt (c), 11 Alex Lewington, 10 Max Malins, 9 Ben Spencer; 1 Richard Barrington, 2 Christopher Tolofua, 3 Christian Judge, 4 Dom Day, 5 Will Skelton, 6 Mike Rhodes, 7 Schalk Burger, 8 Jackson Wray
Replacements: 16 Tom Woolstencroft, 17 Hayden Thompson-Stringer, 18 Hisa Sasagi, 19 Joel Kpoku, 20 Calum Clark, 21 Ben Earl, 22 Tom Whiteley, 23 Matt Gallagher
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Can't believe how strong that Sarries team is with all their players missing. They can afford to put a playmaker we would love to have playing at 10 on Sunday, (Lozowski) on the wing!!

We will be lucky to get within 10 points. Hope I'm wrong.
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

On paper our front row should have them on toast with the rest of the pack pretty even.

Sarries 9/10 seem to be of a higher standard than ours. Rest of backs about even.

Both benches look weak.

With our returnees it's a better match up than last week at Gloucester and you'd hope at home against Sarries the players will be fired. Whether they execute is another matter.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'd say forwards are a match but Sarries have the better back division. Pray for rain and mud!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

10. Joe Ford
22. Tom Hardwick

Just about everyone thinks this is the wrong way round - except Smurf. I'm trying to think constructively. What are we all missing that Geordan and, presumably, the other coaches see? I'm afraid I can't think of one good reason. For me, Joe Ford is barely Championship standard and, unlike Hardwick, he's not going to get any better. :smt017
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ourla wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:17 pm On paper our front row should have them on toast with the rest of the pack pretty even.

Sarries 9/10 seem to be of a higher standard than ours. Rest of backs about even.

Both benches look weak.

With our returnees it's a better match up than last week at Gloucester and you'd hope at home against Sarries the players will be fired. Whether they execute is another matter.
I hope you're right Ourla, we said that about the pack last week and look what happened. But we have Holmes and BOC back. And home advantage at "fortress" Welford Rd. I would be amazed if we are even close, but genuinely would love the players to prove me wrong!!
Soggypitch
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I suppose many will state a preference for Hardwick over Joe Ford but I have to say Joe has not been as bad as many on here would have you believe. He is not his brother and Hardwick is the future but he is very young and not yet the complete player, Geordan obviously thinks that at this time Tom is better as a finisher, the rest of the backs we have few options hopefully they will prove to us that they are there on merit and not just because someone else is not available.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:21 pm 10. Joe Ford
22. Tom Hardwick

Just about everyone thinks this is the wrong way round - except Smurf. I'm trying to think constructively. What are we all missing that Geordan and, presumably, the other coaches see? I'm afraid I can't think of one good reason. For me, Joe Ford is barely Championship standard and, unlike Hardwick, he's not going to get any better. :smt017
I thought when we signed Joe that it was a carrot for George to come back. No one is going to admit to it though.

And now he's here and under contract, what do you do. At his age he has to be regarded as a senior player and No 2 to his brother.

I feel a bit sorry for him (and us) to be honest, that he's being asked to play at a level and in a team that he's really not capable of. I'm sure he is training hard and giving it his best. I just don't think he is good enough. But against Saracens with no George he should be the option.