Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Ben Ryan

Post by ourla »

Gives rugby a slating

If rugby were a company people would be comparing it to an Enron. It’s completely dysfunctional.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Ryan

Post by JP14 »

I completely agree with Ryan but that means nothing if World Rugby don’t agree.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ourla wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:17 am Gives rugby a slating

If rugby were a company people would be comparing it to an Enron. It’s completely dysfunctional.
Read it and posted on FB group. Totally agree with him, targets all the bits that are disillusioning me with my favourite sport. World rugby are destroying the game and endangering players at the same time IMO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Doing nothing... the preferred method of any political body :smt011
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Were it a public vote then Ben Ryan would win.
How many of us attend less matches than before or are thinking about doing so because of the things he mentions, and it's just the tip of the iceberg!
If they are careless then we care less, and who'd want to risk playing it nowadays, ruck correctly and the knees have nowhere to go but against themselves when some fool dives into a ruck off their feet and follow the crowd and do it wrong to protect the knees with the head below hip height and you risk some idiot with his brains in his biceps trying to take your head off, what a choice they have created, knees bent back or head banged! :smt009
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

BFG wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:26 pm Were it a public vote then Ben Ryan would win
How many of us attend less matches than before or are thinking about doing so because of the things he mentions, and it's just the tip of the iceberg!
If they are careless then we care less, and who'd want to risk playing it nowadays, ruck correctly and the knees have nowhere to go but against themselves when some fool dives into a ruck off their feet and follow the crowd and do it wrong to protect the knees with the head below hip height and you risk some idiot with his brains in his biceps trying to take your head off, what a choice they have created, knees bent back or head banged! :smt009
Mrs G has lost a lot of interest, says the game is getting boring and the breakdown is a joke. I find myself shouting at the TV, all sorts of games, when refs ignore illegalities or even flying in, let alone other stuff. I also think 7s get hamstrings and concussion from absorbing illegal charges. What happened to binding? See it now and again only.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I read the thread title and thought we'd found a role for him at Tigers (which I'd have been fully in favour of). I'm surprised a premiership club hasn't taken advantage of the man's talents as yet.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Great to see somebody with a bit of status in the game airing these issues. I've been complaining about the 'Exeter effect' for a couple of seasons now; yes they win a lot of games but who really wants to watch 35 phases of short physical ball followed by a very organised heave for the line? Where's the fun in that?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 pm Great to see somebody with a bit of status in the game airing these issues. I've been complaining about the 'Exeter effect' for a couple of seasons now; yes they win a lot of games but who really wants to watch 35 phases of short physical ball followed by a very organised heave for the line? Where's the fun in that?
And all the aforesaid tricks, learnt off the ABs.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:10 pm Great to see somebody with a bit of status in the game airing these issues. I've been complaining about the 'Exeter effect' for a couple of seasons now; yes they win a lot of games but who really wants to watch 35 phases of short physical ball followed by a very organised heave for the line? Where's the fun in that?
Sounds like you were a Mauger advocate 🙄.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

The game is one of chalk and cheese, to when the amateur era was in full flow. With so much at stake now, the game is all about winning, and nothing else. Thus sadly, the ever present sparkle, has vanished, along with all those exciting players, doing their best to win, but also putting on a show for the crowd. Who can ever forget Les Cusworth, putting his magic into the game?
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I think there's a bit of rose tinted spectacles here. I agree with Ryan's points -I hate the flopping over the ruck, the off feet and the scrum feeding, but try watching a recording of an amateur era game. Even the famouse baa-baas v All Blacks games was turgid and error strewn in parts, with a fantastic try in between
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Dangerous4 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:57 pm The game is one of chalk and cheese, to when the amateur era was in full flow. With so much at stake now, the game is all about winning, and nothing else. Thus sadly, the ever present sparkle, has vanished, along with all those exciting players, doing their best to win, but also putting on a show for the crowd. Who can ever forget Les Cusworth, putting his magic into the game?
....and Deano!
Semper in excretia