Gloucester vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester vs Tigers

Post by RagingBull »

Bateman is a way better prop than he was a hooker, anyone who remembers his brief stint at hooker with us will remember he made Tom Youngs look like the lineout master.
We have/had the best scrum in the league.

1 game where the right hand touch judge had a problem (Whereas the ref and other linesman didn't in the second half) suddenly doesn't make a bad prop.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Fishtie wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 pm Being a Tigers fan in exile in Gloucester and season ticket holder, the Gloucester side is on the up, with a pack that is competitive and back line that under the guidance of Cipriani, really can fire. How many would pick Heinz, Twelevetrees, Atkinson and Bannahan over what we have? It show how key he is and over the last three weeks they have looked fairly ineffective without him.

Unfortunately while the Tigers pack is competitive, lineout is a lottery and with Joe Ford at fly half, a backline that is ineffective and looked lacking in pace. Going forward we need to fix our lineout and have a general at flyhalf, not sure either Ford is the answer, it is a shame Touma is off, as I did like him at flyhalf. Anyhow rant over, I look forward to us getting back to where we belong :smt007
Glaws without Cipriani are probably challenging for top 6, and with him, top 4.. Yes, they’re competitive up front but have no creativity without him. All the calls from the West Country that he should be with England I suspect are being whispered, as he finds holes and gaps for others that no other 10 in England can.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

DevonTiger wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:01 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:21 pm Bateman is a hooker.
Why on earth we saw fit to turn him into a prop I don't know.
There again at that time two of our hookers were part of the Tigers family so he would have to have been elsewhere to get a game!
As it stands we have no one capable of fulfilling that position. Our first choice LH is coming back from injury. For some unknown reason only be known to the purse string we have allowed a more than capable back up to leave for a team in the NE.
We are all aware there is more going on behind the scenes. In what other profession/company would see fit to promote individuals to a position above their station. I maybe wrong in stating this but is AA our attack coach and LD our defence coach? AA was our best defensive organiser in recent times so why is he being mismployed?
I totally appreciate that tigers have always had the DNA running through the team from top to bottom which I believe is totally correct but When does someone see fit to employ an individual in a position way above their station? Will the club employ OTY or Matt Smith as they are club stalwarts?
When Tom retires it will be to run the family farm.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh I reckon Youngs will follow in White's footsteps.
Maybe stay at the club a couple seasons as a part time player helping in the development league stuff with the younger front rowers, but his main focus will be the farm.

I have no issue with Smith going into coaching.
He has been coaching Leicester uni rugby and I reckon he would be a good fit as DOR of somewhere like Oakham whilst running AASE centre. Personally I would rather have the likes of Smith etc in charge of these things than such and such's dad.

RE AA I think he is an assistant backs coach, Murphy will be the attack coach.
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:06 am
Fishtie wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 pm Being a Tigers fan in exile in Gloucester and season ticket holder, the Gloucester side is on the up, with a pack that is competitive and back line that under the guidance of Cipriani, really can fire. How many would pick Heinz, Twelevetrees, Atkinson and Bannahan over what we have? It show how key he is and over the last three weeks they have looked fairly ineffective without him.

Unfortunately while the Tigers pack is competitive, lineout is a lottery and with Joe Ford at fly half, a backline that is ineffective and looked lacking in pace. Going forward we need to fix our lineout and have a general at flyhalf, not sure either Ford is the answer, it is a shame Touma is off, as I did like him at flyhalf. Anyhow rant over, I look forward to us getting back to where we belong :smt007
Glaws without Cipriani are probably challenging for top 6, and with him, top 4.. Yes, they’re competitive up front but have no creativity without him. All the calls from the West Country that he should be with England I suspect are being whispered, as he finds holes and gaps for others that no other 10 in England can.
Westwinds
Spot on comment and would not disagree with what you say - Cips has been a revelation for us this season - we have seen some dressed up 10s/12s at Glaws over the last few years - Paterson and Barkley to name two but I feel and to some extent Freddie B (Freddie lost his way is in that category) - the 10 takes alot of pressure off the front 8 and the 36 combination is both exciting and developing match to match. Ed Slater must be overjoyed.

Watch Cips talking to the players and his skills and leadership rubs off off on the rest of the backs - there is a notable confidence throughtout the squad we havent seen at KH for some time. The young players must be hoping to be part of this squad

Sorry Eddie Jones- your loss is our gain.
Bob
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

While Gloucester are always a tough nut to crack, especially on their own ground, I was hoping for a better display from the team. Sadly, this did not happen, with J.F. and the back line looking quite inept.

I worry that our squad lacks quality in depth, there being too many square pegs in round holes. I don't like being pessimistic, but I cannot envisage us finishing in the top four again this season. Having followed Tigers for over forty I cannot recall such a low point, in Tigers ability Too many teams have overtaken us in the past few seasons, and we need to rectify this. Easier said than done of course, but needs must etc.

Anyway, let us hope to see an improvement, between now and the Six Nations.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 am Bateman is a way better prop than he was a hooker, anyone who remembers his brief stint at hooker with us will remember he made Tom Youngs look like the lineout master.
We have/had the best scrum in the league.

1 game where the right hand touch judge had a problem (Whereas the ref and other linesman didn't in the second half) suddenly doesn't make a bad prop.
We have experienced Ian Tempest here already this season :smt009
But the right hand touch judge (Assissstant Ref!!) was Adam Leal who Refereed in the cup competition and whilst trying to make a name for himself he yellow carded 4 in the opening round and 3 in Round 2, probably trained by Tim Wigglesworth. Whereas Wayne Fella and his Mindbenders is on a different planet.
Yes Bateman is a better LH Prop than he was as a hooker but was mysteriously pinged by Leal - who probably wanted another yellow card for his collection. :smt017
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I can't make a comment based on the fact that I took Strawcleaner's advice and delete the recording.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 pm I can't make a comment based on the fact that I took Strawcleaner's advice and delete the recording.
You can normally restore any deleted programmes on Sky Planner.....presuming you are using the Sky platform.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

TigerCam wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:14 pm I can't make a comment based on the fact that I took Strawcleaner's advice and delete the recording.
Ditto. I was out on Friday so missed the game but have since deleted it and have no desire to reinstate it!!

I have not even had the heart to read all the comments on here, I said before the game that our backs were light years away from theirs and our only chance was to win the forward battle with a good pack, on paper. What happened there?
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am I said before the game that our backs were light years away from theirs and our only chance was to win the forward battle with a good pack, on paper. What happened there?
There may have been a misconception in some quarters before the game that our forward pack were superior but that was never likely to be the case. The hope was that we could make the game a bit of an arm wrestle - limiting the opportunity for Gloucesters superior back line. And we never really managed that. Gloucester have been moving in the right direction for a while and have a good pack. I've found the fall out from Tigers a bit hysterical to be honest. Not that this is particularly unusual. In the 'old days' everbody would just accept we're missing a dozen front line players and expect us to come good in the end. Whereas now, every loss is greeted with utter horror. All these rugby fans bemoan rugby becoming just like football whilst in their next breath calling for sweeping changes in the coaching and playing staff. It's especially odd given when Murphy got the job there was a mass of supportive comments and people were saying the bloke should be given the support and time to get it right.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I very rarely agree with Ourla but on this occasion, she is right. What other club would have performed any better with the vast majority of our best players away at the stupid autumn internationals?

This was no game to judge Smurf and his coaches on.
A life long Tiger
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I will back Murphy.

But I don't back the players he has, nor do I back the ones above him letting Murphy have a chance to put his stamp on a squad.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Lets see where we are at the end of the season, anything disruptive now will just cloud things. Of course if I was CEO or Head of Rugby operations I would do just the opposite as I would definitely want some cloud. Whats clear is that we have changed coaches and players and the results have been steadily declining over the last 5 or so years. Where we have not made any changes is at the top. Time we tried that I'd say.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Smudge wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am I very rarely agree with Ourla but on this occasion, she is right.
Today of all days you've decided to re-sex me :smt022 :smt003 :smt048