Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by BFG »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm Sinckler perhaps had the softest hands on show yesterday in my opinion and that's a sad indictment of the standard when a prop shows the rest up.
Perhaps if he put his mind better to propping England might be better served. Was a flat-track bully at school, apparently, but certainly hasn't performed at the highest level to date.
I don't disagree and don't get me wrong it's not that I think he is really that good because I don't, but on the scale of passing ability considering he is a prop he was towards the higher end of the scale for England yesterday.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:50 pm Youngs is an international standard scrum half, what he isn’t is world class like Murray or De Klerk.

That isn’t a criticism, for the 40 odd years I’ve been following rugby I can’t remember England having a world class 9 with the possible exception of the All too short career of Nigel Melville
Harry Ellis for one. Prior to the knee injury that ultimately ended his career.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Again Harry was a good test scrum half but I don’t know that even he would ever claim to be world class
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ellis was damn near close to being World Class. Don’t take this opinion/assumption too seriously however I’m going off highlight reels and replayed full matches on Youtube as I was very young when he retired back in 2010.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:50 pm Ellis was damn near close to being World Class. Don’t take this opinion/assumption too seriously however I’m going off highlight reels and replayed full matches on Youtube as I was very young when he retired back in 2010.
Harry was an excellent player and it was terrible that his playing career was cut short. IMHO he never reached that consistent world class level although he certainly had his moments.
Was never a great fan of his charge down technique of taking out the non kicking leg, which was dangerous and very lucky it never caused serious injury
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

fentiger wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 pm Good job Faf wasn't playing 'cos Benny Boy would have been shown right up! :smt023
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm Sinckler perhaps had the softest hands on show yesterday in my opinion and that's a sad indictment of the standard when a prop shows the rest up.
[/quote

Perhaps if he put his mind better to propping England might be better served. Was a flat-track bully at school, apparently, but certainly hasn't performed at the highest level to date.
I don't disagree and don't get me wrong it's not that I think he is really that good because I don't, but on the scale of passing ability considering he is a prop he was towards the higher end of the scale for England yesterday.
I do enjoy reading your posts BFG as they are usually very different to my views but well reasoned and amusing.

I do have a question though which is whether you actually rate any players at Tigers or England as true majority of posts are critical.

I appreciate the above might come across patronising or sarcastic but genuinely that is not the intention, I’m just interested to know what players you do rate/like
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:48 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I do enjoy reading your posts BFG as they are usually very different to my views but well reasoned and amusing.

I do have a question though which is whether you actually rate any players at Tigers or England as true majority of posts are critical.

I appreciate the above might come across patronising or sarcastic but genuinely that is not the intention, I’m just interested to know what players you do rate/like
Yes I rate a lot of players, too many to list all!
I like well rounded players but do appreciate those who are seriously good in a particular area i.e Cole - scrummaging, Toomua - decision making, Itoje - dancing, Farrell - being annoying!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

fentiger wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:13 pm Good job Faf wasn't playing 'cos Benny Boy would have been shown right up! :smt023
I suspect if Faff has been playing Ben wouldn’t have been the only England player shown up.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pmWhy cant Ben Youngs play like that for Tigers? :smt017
...because England have better forwards to play off ...because England have better coaches to get the best out of players ...because they have an effective game plan etc etc.

As for those that criticise Cole as a penalty machine, his offences (mostly!) are when he's putting his body on the line when playing to the edge of the laws, a work class act who adds considerably more to a game than takes away.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Yes Ben had a good game on Saturday, kicked slightly long at times in the first half, but much better overall, and a quicker delivery. Long may it continue for England and Tigers!!
Soggypitch
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DingDong wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 am
LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pmWhy cant Ben Youngs play like that for Tigers? :smt017
...because England have better forwards to play off ...because England have better coaches to get the best out of players ...because they have an effective game plan etc etc.
I disagree that it's better forwards to play off or a better game plan as England were second best up front against South Africa on Saturday in the first half and relied on outside backs to break up the game in the second half.
Youngs was better, first half in particular his kicks were better (although not all) even with the England forwards under pressure.
Put those box kicks on the spot and Jonny May was a real threat, we have the same Jonny May at Leicester but not the same box kicks.
I thought second half when England did get more attacking ball Youngs sometimes appeared tempted to start the arm waving at the breakdown with a few almost half raised attempts, then seemed to think better of it and got on with it instead.
It's the serious threat of losing the place that brings better performance in my opinion, something that is missing at Leicester for some unknown reason as Harrison offers everything that Youngs gets slack at and Harrison as shown in a run of games last season that he gets better with game time.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

BFG wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:35 pm
DingDong wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:45 am
I disagree that it's better forwards to play off or a better game plan as England were second best up front against South Africa on Saturday in the first half and relied on outside backs to break up the game in the second half.
Youngs was better, first half in particular his kicks were better (although not all) even with the England forwards under pressure.
Put those box kicks on the spot and Jonny May was a real threat, we have the same Jonny May at Leicester but not the same box kicks.
I thought second half when England did get more attacking ball Youngs sometimes appeared tempted to start the arm waving at the breakdown with a few almost half raised attempts, then seemed to think better of it and got on with it instead.
It's the serious threat of losing the place that brings better performance in my opinion, something that is missing at Leicester for some unknown reason as Harrison offers everything that Youngs gets slack at and Harrison as shown in a run of games last season that he gets better with game time.
You could be right there!
Incidentally I saw a lovely picture of Ben and son Boris at Twickenham, but I cant copy it.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:09 am Maybe it was me. I thought his passing was sharper yesterday and his box kicking was certainly a step up
I agree I thought he was up there with the best on Saturday, he was also in good cheer after the game and seemed very relaxed, unlike miserable May
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Tigers1213

Post by Tigers1213 »

Up there with the best again...
No doubters giving credit where credit is due?