Ben Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Ben Youngs

Post by Mark62 »

I know this has been discussed at length before, but yet again yesterday we saw a performance from Ben in an England shirt that we hardly ever see in a Tigers shirt. I thought he was possibly England’s best player while he was on
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs

Post by BFG »

Jonny May was England's best player yesterday and the spark that provided a broken field for England to play.
Youngs kicked much better yesterday but still too long occasionally and the odd pass that goes astray but that was England all over.
I thought the passing in general was not good enough from England, often being too high or low and halting continuity.
He gets away with it at Leicester as he often appears undroppable, possibly why the difference.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Johnny May is great going forward but his defence yesterday under the high ball was not good he also missed some tackles, to become a top player he needs to improve in these areas.
Still think Ben Youngs passing is to slow and erratic, it's something I don't think he can improve and so he will never be a top international scrum half although he is a very good club scrum half.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Maybe it was me. I thought his passing was sharper yesterday and his box kicking was certainly a step up
Tigers1213

Post by Tigers1213 »

Never be a top international scrumhalf???!!
He has more starts for England at 9 than any other...and will continue to add to that and could even get to 100 caps. Grand slam winner, 6 nations winner god knows how many times, British lion. I think we can say he’s a top international scrumhalf. There’s a reason every England coach has stuck with him.
In my opinion he’s kicking game was outstanding yesterday and at international level that’s key
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Connor Murray is a top international scrum half.
England's passing is poor in general and fails at key stages often halting their attacking potential.
A top 9's passing should never fail IMO.
Sinckler perhaps had the softest hands on show yesterday in my opinion and that's a sad indictment of the standard when a prop shows the rest up.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Good job Faf wasn't playing 'cos Benny Boy would have been shown right up! :smt023
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:14 am I know this has been discussed at length before, but yet again yesterday we saw a performance from Ben in an England shirt that we hardly ever see in a Tigers shirt. I thought he was possibly England’s best player while he was on
I didn't watch the match but none of the newspaper 'experts' that I've read this morning rated him above a 6 - not that they know any more, in most cases, than the average pundit on here.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm Sinckler perhaps had the softest hands on show yesterday in my opinion and that's a sad indictment of the standard when a prop shows the rest up.
Perhaps if he put his mind better to propping England might be better served. Was a flat-track bully at school, apparently, but certainly hasn't performed at the highest level to date.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Youngs is an international standard scrum half, what he isn’t is world class like Murray or De Klerk.

That isn’t a criticism, for the 40 odd years I’ve been following rugby I can’t remember England having a world class 9 with the possible exception of the All too short career of Nigel Melville
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm Sinckler perhaps had the softest hands on show yesterday in my opinion and that's a sad indictment of the standard when a prop shows the rest up.
Perhaps if he put his mind better to propping England might be better served. Was a flat-track bully at school, apparently, but certainly hasn't performed at the highest level to date.
Very sorry to disagree but you can see why Dan Cole is surplus to requirements, Sinkler's alround game was miles better than Dan's just scrummaging.
Why cant Ben Youngs play like that for Tigers? :smt017
Jonny May was brilliant, I cant understand the negative comments?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm
TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm
Very sorry to disagree but you can see why Dan Cole is surplus to requirements, Sinkler's alround game was miles better than Dan's just scrummaging.
Again sorry to disagree but I like my players to be able to perform the basics of their position. Both the starting props were alarmingly out of their depth at scrum time and we were very lucky The Boks over threw 2 line outs.
I don’t expect Coley to be recalled but would hope Williams and Moon start next week.

Anyone who thinks Coley just scrummages is seriously mistaken
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm Very sorry to disagree but you can see why Dan Cole is surplus to requirements, Sinkler's alround game was miles better than Dan's just scrummaging.
What’s to apologise for? You have a different opinion and expressed it politely unlike many on here to others. IMO is Dan not only streets ahead of Sinckler as a prop, he is better in the loose than many give him credit for albeit perhaps not as flashy as Sinckler. In my view the first job of a prop is to shore up the scrum, win own ball and attack that of the opposition. From the little I’ve seen of yesterday’s match we failed to do that. As for a prop with soft hands, I prefer them as soft as Julian’s.
Agree about Jonny May - Daly’s failure to set him free was criminal.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:24 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:53 pm Very sorry to disagree but you can see why Dan Cole is surplus to requirements, Sinkler's alround game was miles better than Dan's just scrummaging.
What’s to apologise for? You have a different opinion and expressed it politely unlike many on here to others. IMO is Dan not only streets ahead of Sinckler as a prop, he is better in the loose than many give him credit for albeit perhaps not as flashy as Sinckler. In my view the first job of a prop is to shore up the scrum, win own ball and attack that of the opposition. From the little I’ve seen of yesterday’s match we failed to do that. As for a prop with soft hands, I prefer them as soft as Julian’s.
Thanks Tom, I urge you to watch more of the match to see Sincklers overall contribution, he runs passes and links well, maybe Dan scrummages better, but hes become a penalty machine.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:34 pm
TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:24 pm
Thanks Tom, I urge you to watch more of the match to see Sincklers overall contribution, he runs passes and links well, maybe Dan scrummages better, but hes become a penalty machine.
Again what use is a prop who can’t scrummage, may as well have Manu at tight head. As for Cole a penalty machine he wins far more than he gives away and I wouldn’t think Sinckler gives any less penalties away