Where were you?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Where were you?

Post by ellis9 »

Today was a Saturday 3pm kick off. Where were you?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Where were you?

Post by JP14 »

The vast majority who were absent were probably watching the England game. Fair play to them.

England international > Probably Rubbish Cup
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The truth is that there is no real answer to the best kick-off time as it’s impossible to meet everyone’s demands. People should just accept that.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:42 pm The truth is that there is no real answer to the best kick-off time as it’s impossible to meet everyone’s demands. People should just accept that.
I agree. However, people moan about any kick off day and time that isn't a 3pm on a Saturday. They too should just accept that not all kick off times will suit everyone.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:40 pm The vast majority who were absent were probably watching the England game. Fair play to them.

England international > Probably Rubbish Cup
That's irrelevant. People say 3pm on a Saturday is the best as other days and times conflict with other things. Clearly, England playing also keeps people away. Therefore, Saturday at 3pm today was a stupid day and time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Difficult isn’t it, supporters aren’t the only consideration, players rest periods, health and safety, future fixtures all have to be taken into account.
It was a mean nothing game on the day of an international with a full local rugby fixture list,

More telling will be the attendance at the Sarries game
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I was there on the terrace frustrated with the Tigers and the referee in equal measure. :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

This competition in whatever form has never really attracted big crowds in the group stages. If you are not a die hard supporter who makes an effort to get to as many games as possible are you going to give up your Saturday afternoon to watch the kind of performance we served up in the first half? I think not.

Having seen the team selections attendance for me was a triumph of hope over experience. I suspect some supporters looked
at the teams, recalled the loss in the premiership and decided that the best place on a cold afternoon was in front of the fire or down the pub watching England. Given what we saw I can hardly blame them.

Having said all that I plan to be there on Friday night cheering on whatever team we put out against Sale and giving the officials the benefit of my experience.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Anyone know what the real attendance was, not the figure taking into account season tickets.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

My wife spent 30 years of our married life studiously ignoring all things rugby until I retired 3 years ago, at which point she thought it would be nice to join me and get a season ticket herself; and it is nice....honestly. She is soooo keen even to the point of watching whichever match is on BT TV on a weekend, Tigers or not, Friday and Sunday!! She has learnt much but it has taken 3 years to explain that the Centres are in the backs and that the Back Row are in the forwards.....she now knows it as a fact but cannot accept the logic so if anyone has anything to help me, all suggestions welcome.

The above is just background to show how keen my wife now is, but even she said this morning that yesterday was too much; we travel from Matlock by train with so generally choose to eat out because of timings. That is our choice as it was Worcester's to field a full (or nearly) first team; the effect was to end it as a meaningful competition before kick-off and although we did not play to our best I don't think the result was ever going to be different. It seems to me there need to be more guidelines for clubs around what the competition is for, and if it is to give experience to younger players then regulate for a level playing field; the matches will then at least be a fair competition, provide some excitement and ultimately enjoyment, win or lose. If I was a Warriors supporter I would see yesterday as a very hollow victory and if this sort of imbalance continues I can only see the level of support dwindle further. Sadly the cost of train, food and drinks for what we saw yesterday is not now worth it; we cheered the teams efforts and take nothing from them but the competition structure just does not work.
As Good As It Gets
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

This type of mis-match should never be allowed, the comp was seen by so many as low key and for Worcs to put out a full side was criminal and frankly ruined my afternoon.
We will be there again on Friday, I like live rugby but that game failed in so many ways, at least it proved that Hardwick is so much better than Joe Ford, Tuilagi tried hard.
How I wish we had signed Pennell. He would be England FB if playing for anyone else.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:32 am My wife spent 30 years of our married life studiously ignoring all things rugby until I retired 3 years ago, at which point she thought it would be nice to join me and get a season ticket herself; and it is nice....honestly. She is soooo keen even to the point of watching whichever match is on BT TV on a weekend, Tigers or not, Friday and Sunday!! She has learnt much but it has taken 3 years to explain that the Centres are in the backs and that the Back Row are in the forwards.....she now knows it as a fact but cannot accept the logic so if anyone has anything to help me, all suggestions welcome.

The above is just background to show how keen my wife now is, but even she said this morning that yesterday was too much; we travel from Matlock by train with so generally choose to eat out because of timings. That is our choice as it was Worcester's to field a full (or nearly) first team; the effect was to end it as a meaningful competition before kick-off and although we did not play to our best I don't think the result was ever going to be different. It seems to me there need to be more guidelines for clubs around what the competition is for, and if it is to give experience to younger players then regulate for a level playing field; the matches will then at least be a fair competition, provide some excitement and ultimately enjoyment, win or lose. If I was a Warriors supporter I would see yesterday as a very hollow victory and if this sort of imbalance continues I can only see the level of support dwindle further. Sadly the cost of train, food and drinks for what we saw yesterday is not now worth it; we cheered the teams efforts and take nothing from them but the competition structure just does not work.
Scuttle, my wife & I, ST for many yrs, drive from Oxon. I retired at Easter so we can now even do Fri games. Having seen the sides we didn't expect a Tigers' win. If Wuss want to field their (almost) 1st XV, that's their choice. As you say, I expect their supporters (none of whom I saw at WRd) went away feeling hardly jubilant.

We go to WRd to be entertained by good rugby. We didn't see that yesterday, from either side, partly because Wuss we so dominant in experience, partly because Tigers were (along with technical & tactical errors) passionless.

I remember, years ago, a cold Nov night, Tigers v S Africa. Ok, it was their 'A', but it was still the 'Boks & Tigers put out very much an 'A' too. Toby Flood's 1st game, IIRC.

I still have the photo of the final score on the old screen. What a night. Speedy's zipping try & the last 10min with the 'Boks camped on our 5m, Tigers fighting tooth & nail in defence & the noise in WRd like I'd never heard before. Contrasted with the quiet after the end: "we've just beaten the world's best team."

I also remember a game vs Stade Français, hammer & tongs all the way. We sneaked a win at the end, but I'd have gone away smiling if we'd lost; the passion, commitment & quality from both teams was total: we'd played our socks off.

That's why we go to WRd. Passion & committed rugby. Neither were on display yesterday. Smurf & the coaching team have got to rebuild it and soon.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

PGD wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm ...

I remember, years ago, a cold Nov night, Tigers v S Africa. Ok, it was their 'A', but it was still the 'Boks & Tigers put out very much an 'A' too. Toby Flood's 1st game, IIRC.

I still have the photo of the final score on the old screen. What a night. Speedy's zipping try & the last 10min with the 'Boks camped on our 5m, Tigers fighting tooth & nail in defence & the noise in WRd like I'd never heard before. Contrasted with the quiet after the end: "we've just beaten the world's best team."
If you mean 2009 I’m not sure Floody played but the foot-stamping in the Crumbie nearly made it the Crumble! What a night!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TomWeston wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:40 pm
PGD wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:22 pm ...

If you mean 2009 I’m not sure Floody played but the foot-stamping in the Crumbie nearly made it the Crumble! What a night!
Brilliant game, we had decided to upgrade for that match and had tickets in the "new " stand, very hard to generate any noise there, so glad to revert back to Crumbie, 1 off mistake that which wont be repeated. Didn't spoil a brilliant win.
GeoffNeil

Post by GeoffNeil »

I was there, but left after 40 minutes, was so disappointed at another poor display from the Tigers, wished I had stayed away and watched England. For those who will say it was and inexperienced team, go through it, it was not that bad. As such I expected more.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

I was there yesterday, and like one or two others on here am becoming increasingly dissolutioned with this competition. I hope the Wuss management are happy with their win, fielding a near full strength team in what is billed as a development focussed completion smacks of desperation on their part. :smt018

I hope it comes back to bite them on the backside later in the season when they are scratching for points to stay up and their 1st 15 are worn out. Unfortunately we will not get the opportunity to send our 1st pick team to Sixways to pay them back as this fixture falls bang in the middle of the Six Nations, and we will be weakened again. Wuss of course T'Eo excepted do not have internationals in their team

I am sad to say for the first time I am seriously considering not renewing my season ticket next year. I am not wasting my time and money watching rubbish like we were served up yesterday. Rubbish officiating, unbalanced competition, a game that was over before a ball was kicked.

As for Friday and the Sale match, I will wait and see what sort of team Sale are putting out. If it looks like they are playing fair, then ok, but otherwise I will find something better to do.