Plastic pitches

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Baz

Plastic pitches

Post by Baz »

Given the upsurge in concern over player welfare, don't they have enough to contend with, without the burns and abrasions caused by artificial surfaces? If Tigers can produce a top-class natural playing surface, surely other clubs could as well. Are there grounds (no pun intended!) for banning plastic pitches? I'd be interested to know the general feeling about them, in general.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Plastic pitches

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Don't have to look too far......

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45459&hilit=pitches

and another

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45117&hilit=pitches

Just type "Pitches" into the search bar (top right of page) and you'll be able to see the opinions given on here at various times in the past.

:smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I used to be anti artificial pitches but have had my mind changed a little over the past months.
My son has recestarted playing a Leicester Forest who in conjunction with the rfu have had the latest generation of pitch installed. I am reliably informed that this is still 3G as there is no such thing as 4 G.

To date other than some abrasions and the reduction in stud purchase, once you start to be driven backwards it’s very hard to stop, I have been very impressed by what I have seen, and is certainly an upgrade on some of the bogs which usually start appearing at this time of year.

Tigers, and I believe now Gloucester have a hybrid pitch, grass woven into a plastic substrate, which I think is preferable, but certainly the latest generation of plastic pitches is a huge generon the Saracens pitch and for me there are more pros than cons
Baz

Post by Baz »

Interesting, especially from someone who has practical experience. Thanks
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Perhaps we should ask Telusa what he thinks following his injury on Saturday.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:37 pm Perhaps we should ask Telusa what he thinks following his injury on Saturday.
I didn’t see the injury how much was caused by the pitch and how much the challenge.

As I said the Saracens is the oldest of these surfaces and does need updating, I’m not sure for instance that the newer Newcastle pitches has caused an increase in injuries
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

If you are playing amateur rugby at somewhere like LFE then 3G pitches are fine but chuck in full time trained professionals and the intensity is raised to another level.
The grip and speed is more than natural grass.
Sarries have had theirs for a while and they do seem to possess an intensity that is above most others.
I'm looking at clubs like Worcester and Newcastle and beginning to see an increase in their ability to play at a higher intensity but not yet as consistent as Sarries in their playing style so it'll be very interesting to see how that develops over the next few years.
It may be the case that other clubs are forced to convert to similar type pitches just to keep up.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Plastic pitches are great that you can use them everyday of the week if you need to.

Currently, I don’t think we do, and grass is far nicer.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:22 pm Plastic pitches are great that you can use them everyday of the week if you need to.

Currently, I don’t think we do, and grass is far nicer.
We need to use it once every 2 or 3 weeks.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Baz wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:41 pm Given the upsurge in concern over player welfare, don't they have enough to contend with, without the burns and abrasions caused by artificial surfaces? If Tigers can produce a top-class natural playing surface, surely other clubs could as well. Are there grounds (no pun intended!) for banning plastic pitches? I'd be interested to know the general feeling about them, in general.
To be fair, the Tigers pitch isn't a 'natural' surface, it's a hybrid with a plastic root system. Natural grass grows through it to give a grass surface, which maintains its integrity because of the artificial fibres. Hybrids are the future IMO.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

+1 biffer
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Another plus 1 hybrid are definitely the way forward for top level rugby.

The point was made earlier that artificial pitches are better for frequent usage such as at junior clubs. Again I agree with this and it also means club can help their local community more in providing an all year round playing surface to train on for any sport.

Only slight problem is the few hundred thousand quid to get one in the first place
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

it's a hybrid system. 100% grass surface with a synthetic support carpet underneath
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm it's a hybrid system. 100% grass surface with a synthetic support carpet underneath
Pretty sure that's what I said.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

biffer wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:44 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:28 pm it's a hybrid system. 100% grass surface with a synthetic support carpet underneath
Pretty sure that's what I said.
:smt043 :smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives