Premiership Rugby Cup - Tigers vs Worcester

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup - Tigers vs Worcester

Post by ellis9 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:42 pm Does anyone think that Joe Heyes will get suspended? Does anyone who was in the Mattoli Woods/Holland and Barrett stand know what caused said incident.
I think he was annoyed that he was missing the England game due to the stupid kick off day and time of the Tigers game. :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s clear that it was a team of 15 individuals today not a team. When the forwards did make yards in the carry or in the maul, the backline had no idea what to do with the ball and we lost ground and possesion on multiple occasions.

When the Saracens PRC team play, they play exactly the same as the 1st team. Yeah okay there is some rustyness as they have lack of gametime but to me Saracens plan the basis of their PRC team at the start of the season and so they train this team right from the start so when they take to the field at least there is an element of cohesion in the combinations.

The Matt O’Connor situation probably meant that the PRC campaign wasn’t thoroughly thought through therefore the side training today has had only a week to train together. Next season from the off the coaches should make sure that the development side playing in the PRC train right from the word go rather than just before the start of the competition.

Also it seems that attitude and mentality was also a big problem in our youngsters today, they just sat there and expected things to happen like the ref award a penalty try or blow up for the multitude of forward passes that occured.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:59 pm It’s clear that it was a team of 15 individuals today not a team. When the forwards did make yards in the carry or in the maul, the backline had no idea what to do with the ball and we lost ground and possesion on multiple occasions.

When the Saracens PRC team play, they play exactly the same as the 1st team. Yeah okay there is some rustyness as they have lack of gametime but to me Saracens plan the basis of their PRC team at the start of the season and so they train this team right from the start so when they take to the field at least there is an element of cohesion in the combinations.

The Matt O’Connor situation probably meant that the PRC campaign wasn’t thoroughly thought through therefore the side training today has had only a week to train together. Next season from the off the coaches should make sure that the development side playing in the PRC train right from the word go rather than just before the start of the competition.

Also it seems that attitude and mentality was also a big problem in our youngsters today, they just sat there and expected things to happen like the ref award a penalty try or blow up for the multitude of forward passes that occured.
Saracens have a very set style of play. As I understand it that is coached from the academy up so that all the players are well versed and can slot in and keep the cohesion. It's the advantage of having a settled and we'll organised coaching staff for a long period of time.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:42 pm Does anyone think that Joe Heyes will get suspended? Does anyone who was in the Mattoli Woods/Holland and Barrett stand know what caused said incident.
Worcester player repeatedly thumping Joe caused it. As ever lots to work on, Joe's right cross for one. Julian should be brought back for some coaching.
I'm not cynical just experienced
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:12 am
Worcester player repeatedly thumping Joe caused it. As ever lots to work on, Joe's right cross for one. Julian should be brought back for some coaching.
We said the same thing. If you're going to get binned or sent off, make sure you do a proper job and get sent to the naughty step for something decent.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:22 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:59 pm It’s clear that it was a team of 15 individuals today not a team. When the forwards did make yards in the carry or in the maul, the backline had no idea what to do with the ball and we lost ground and possesion on multiple occasions.

Saracens have a very set style of play. As I understand it that is coached from the academy up so that all the players are well versed and can slot in and keep the cohesion. It's the advantage of having a settled and we'll organised coaching staff for a long period of time.
Yes agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Very few positives - Hardwick and Kerr perhaps . 1st Half defence appalling - Owen and Smith were just strolling around with no urgency whatsoever and the positioning of olafowa , Worth and Holmes was of a schoolboy standard at times . I thought we would lose against such an experienced Wuss team but I did think we might at least put up a fight .
I think the Club desperately needs some really high class Coaching Staff brought in , but from now on we should play our Premiership starting team to get some practice together and give us a chance in those Gloucester and Sarries games . The Intensity which we show is nowhere near good enough at present .
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

MikeR wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am Very few positives - Hardwick and Kerr perhaps . 1st Half defence appalling - Owen and Smith were just strolling around with no urgency whatsoever and the positioning of olafowa , Worth and Holmes was of a schoolboy standard at times . I thought we would lose against such an experienced Wuss team but I did think we might at least put up a fight .
I think the Club desperately needs some really high class Coaching Staff brought in , but from now on we should play our Premiership starting team to get some practice together and give us a chance in those Gloucester and Sarries games . The Intensity which we show is nowhere near good enough at present .
How else are our youngsters meant to learn? I'd prefer them to play and make errors in this competition so they can look back at see how they can do things differently, than make the errors in the Premiership and Europe. Many of you want us to play our youngsters more but then when they don't perform, you criticise them. You cannot have it both ways.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I wrote a comment last night but deleted it as I was so annoyed, well I am still annoyed.
Several of these youngsters look no more than flat track bullies out of kids rugby, they do not possess the class required in my opinion.
Someone earlier mentioned relegation in their post, not as far fetched as it might sound on yesterday's showing.
I didn't expect a win but it wasn't a weak Leicester side and if the talk is to be believed then when you actually look at the line up it should've been quite competitive.
The hype around some players reminds me of the saying, if you say something is great enough then eventually people will believe it.
Well they were :censored:!
It was a complete stroll for Worcester, over by half time and coasted the second half not wasting much energy, and they still scored again.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 am
MikeR wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:34 am Very few positives - Hardwick and Kerr perhaps . 1st Half defence appalling - Owen and Smith were just strolling around with no urgency whatsoever and the positioning of olafowa , Worth and Holmes was of a schoolboy standard at times . I thought we would lose against such an experienced Wuss team but I did think we might at least put up a fight .
How else are our youngsters meant to learn? I'd prefer them to play and make errors in this competition so they can look back at see how they can do things differently, than make the errors in the Premiership and Europe. Many of you want us to play our youngsters more but then when they don't perform, you criticise them. You cannot have it both ways.
Agreed. If you're going to field the youngsters then you have to be prepared for days when it doesn't go to plan. Especially if the opposition is going to turn up with a premiership first choice pack and a pair of international halfbacks.

None of the players will be happy about that result but the young lads have looked fired up all season when given opportunities by Murphy they'll be hurting and wanting to make amends. The more experienced players involved however, they might need to look a little deeper because for a lot of them their places in the team are very much under threat with several looking for contract renewals next summer.

MikeR, the back three organisation has been shocking for most of the season. Ulster beat us based largely on their ability to isolate an individual with their kicking game and win territory or the ability to counter on the back of it. It's an area we really need to work on. Like most of the things we've had issues with that should have been sorted during pre season...
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

I don't think Owen and Smith are youngster - simply no excuse for them .
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Having watched that yesterday I too, along with some of my friends, are still feeling angry, frustrated, annoyed at what was a lack of pride in our club.
Losing any game of any sort is nothing to laugh about but yesterday some senior players, early the first half really did look as if they didn’t care.
We need more of the attitude shown by Eastmond,Denton, Thomson and Mike Williams. These 4 have, in my opinion, shown the fight and desire every player has to show for Tigers. While Ford is away make Williams captain: ok he can go beyond the aggression that is allowed these days but look at Sarries, they have that sort of player in everyone in their squad.
I will turn up v Sale BUT will any of the players.
We need, however controversial this may seem, a takeover at the top with the B - - ls to sort the whole club out. Some will say we need to be a Members Club to survive, well sorry folks at the rate of decline in many aspects of the club there won’t be enough members to sustain Tigers.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:34 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:53 pm Schonert doesn't want to scrummage and is pulling Gigena down at every scrum but Sir, who has been pretty awful all round, seems to be seeing something very different to the rest of us.
Pleased I wasn't the only one thinking that today.

You're being kind saying he was pretty awful, not responsible for the loss , but he was £$%^
I can't use expletives in pleasant company. He was :censored: awful though. I do, tbh, feel a little sorry for the refs in this competition as they have no backup from the TMO and they are getting exposed to reffing games in front of much bigger crowds than they are used to.

I get the feeling that Fred Tuilagi may be the next Marmite player for many fans. I didn't think he did that bad today. He worked and tried hard, carried lots, although he didn't make many metres.

In terms of Schonert, I'd have loved to have seen him against Genge in the league game earlier in the season. Neither Schonert nor Black seem to want to scrummage. I'd like to think that Genge would be strong enough to keep his bind up again Schonert's attempts to pull him down with Coley locking the scrum out on the other side and giving Ellis the chance to attack Schonert.
From my view from H&B stand (and with the caveat that as an ex-back I’d never claim to be an expert in scrum law) it looked as if all 4 props lost confidence in the referee. Quite understandably this meant they decided they might as well cheat at every scrum, knowing that decisions would be made apparently at random. In such circumstances the more experienced player will always have more tricks up their sleeve.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

chris111 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:18 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:34 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Pleased I wasn't the only one thinking that today.

You're being kind saying he was pretty awful, not responsible for the loss , but he was £$%^
I can't use expletives in pleasant company. He was :censored: awful though. I do, tbh, feel a little sorry for the refs in this competition as they have no backup from the TMO and they are getting exposed to reffing games in front of much bigger crowds than they are used to.

I get the feeling that Fred Tuilagi may be the next Marmite player for many fans. I didn't think he did that bad today. He worked and tried hard, carried lots, although he didn't make many metres.

In terms of Schonert, I'd have loved to have seen him against Genge in the league game earlier in the season. Neither Schonert nor Black seem to want to scrummage. I'd like to think that Genge would be strong enough to keep his bind up again Schonert's attempts to pull him down with Coley locking the scrum out on the other side and giving Ellis the chance to attack Schonert.
From my view from H&B stand (and with the caveat that as an ex-back I’d never claim to be an expert in scrum law) it looked as if all 4 props lost confidence in the referee. Quite understandably this meant they decided they might as well cheat at every scrum, knowing that decisions would be made apparently at random. In such circumstances the more experienced player will always have more tricks up their sleeve.
I have to say that Sir didn't look like he'd reffed a scrum before. Sir was very, very poor.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Smith is not of the quality now to be filling in the senior side I don't mind him being in the development league team but the worry for me is he is only 1 injury from starting v Glous in the prem.
Worth isn't a full back and should look to be focusing at centre.
Tuilagi big but not aggressive enough runner to be a power house runner his uncle was at 8 and lacks the fitness to be a work horse 8 or the reliability of someone like Crane can't fault his effort but that isn't enough to get to the next level.
Owen and Holmes look disinterested.
Evans looked like a player who has played his first game in 8 months.

Agree with the praise for Kerr and Hardwick looked like he was trying to do something but had the lack of options.

End of the day things will be judged mainly on the Prem not the Prem cup though.