Recruitment for next year

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Richardfje

Recruitment for next year

Post by Richardfje »

Having watched a video on Tigers on yt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJGx_tIhmy8 it seems to be that our problem is not our lack a marque players but our lack of depth and letting toomua and potentially manu i feel will open up our budget not to spend it all on etzebeth but to sign a lot more good first team quality players who can be internationals but aren't the best players in the world so we don't waste all of our money on one risky signing who only solves one position. I believe that one player won't solve our problems and win us the premiership so we should begin to look to more players who can solve depth issues and make us a solid side instead of an average side with one of best players in the world playing aswell.

Hence, I'd like to ask you who we should bring in next year and if you agree with my opinion or not?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Recruitment for next year

Post by RagingBull »

Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:25 pm Having watched a video on Tigers on yt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJGx_tIhmy8 it seems to be that our problem is not our lack a marque players but our lack of depth and letting toomua and potentially manu i feel will open up our budget not to spend it all on etzebeth but to sign a lot more good first team quality players who can be internationals but aren't the best players in the world so we don't waste all of our money on one risky signing who only solves one position. I believe that one player won't solve our problems and win us the premiership so we should begin to look to more players who can solve depth issues and make us a solid side instead of an average side with one of best players in the world playing aswell.

Hence, I'd like to ask you who we should bring in next year and if you agree with my opinion or not?
Whilst it would be nice the trouble is those are marquee players so really wouldn't free up much cap.
You could maybe swap Manu with Ford cap wise and free up around 400K but that would only get you two good squad players, Toomua wage would have to another marque player from outside the league though so if we are looking at a big name Etzebeth would be top of my want list.

Really whilst I don't like squad churn I think Murphy needs to make his own stamp on the team and could do with looking at releasing some of the senior players that our on a good wedge.

Squad for me I would split with
Must keep senior players
Genge, Bateman, Cole, Spencer, Thompson, O'Connor, G.Ford (B.Youngs will be up here but honestly form says he shouldn't), Harrison, Eastmond, May, Veainu, (Tuilagi if he can keep playing like did on Friday and stay fit).

Would like to keep players but not essential.
TPN, Youngs, Williams, Kalamafoni, Denton, Owen, Holmes, Thompstone,

Cheap squad players (Who despite what people may say every clubs needs them).
Stevens, Voss, Mapapalangi, Gigena

U23 players senior players with potential.
Kerr, Evans, Worth.

Think need to be let go to make room elsewhere
Mcmillan, Ma'afu, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, J.Ford, Smith, Tait,

Need more time to look at this season.
Hills, Cortes, Faeo, F.Tuilagi, Thacker,

With that in mind it all depends on who is available/looking to move from elsewhere.
If we could get Taylor for TPN on a cheaper deal (even just a slightly cheaper contract) I would take it for example.
I would take a Kremer or Snyman for Kitchener and Fitzgerlad cap together with Voss and Lewis stepping up as depth from his cov loan and the development squad.
Centre is an obvious one with Toomua going.
Honestly I think we need another 8 as well.
And I think we need a couple more props really who are of better potential or quality.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 pm
Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:25 pm Having watched a video on Tigers on yt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJGx_tIhmy8 it seems to be that our problem is not our lack a marque players but our lack of depth and letting toomua and potentially manu i feel will open up our budget not to spend it all on etzebeth but to sign a lot more good first team quality players who can be internationals but aren't the best players in the world so we don't waste all of our money on one risky signing who only solves one position. I believe that one player won't solve our problems and win us the premiership so we should begin to look to more players who can solve depth issues and make us a solid side instead of an average side with one of best players in the world playing aswell.

Whilst it would be nice the trouble is those are marquee players so really wouldn't free up much cap.
You could maybe swap Manu with Ford cap wise and free up around 400K but that would only get you two good squad players, Toomua wage would have to another marque player from outside the league though so if we are looking at a big name Etzebeth would be top of my want list.

Really whilst I don't like squad churn I think Murphy needs to make his own stamp on the team and could do with looking at releasing some of the senior players that our on a good wedge.

Squad for me I would split with
Must keep senior players
Genge, Bateman, Cole, Spencer, Thompson, O'Connor, G.Ford (B.Youngs will be up here but honestly form says he shouldn't), Harrison, Eastmond, May, Veainu, (Tuilagi if he can keep playing like did on Friday and stay fit).

Would like to keep players but not essential.
TPN, Youngs, Williams, Kalamafoni, Denton, Owen, Holmes, Thompstone,

Cheap squad players (Who despite what people may say every clubs needs them).
Stevens, Voss, Mapapalangi, Gigena

U23 players senior players with potential.
Kerr, Evans, Worth.

Think need to be let go to make room elsewhere
Mcmillan, Ma'afu, Fitzgerald, Kitchener, J.Ford, Smith, Tait,

Need more time to look at this season.
Hills, Cortes, Faeo, F.Tuilagi, Thacker,

With that in mind it all depends on who is available/looking to move from elsewhere.
If we could get Taylor for TPN on a cheaper deal (even just a slightly cheaper contract) I would take it for example.
I would take a Kremer or Snyman for Kitchener and Fitzgerlad cap together with Voss and Lewis stepping up as depth from his cov loan and the development squad.
Centre is an obvious one with Toomua going.
Honestly I think we need another 8 as well.
And I think we need a couple more props really who are of better potential or quality.
For me, Denton and Holmes are also must keeps and maybe Williams
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

From watching the Heineken Cup at the weekend, Paul Willemse of Montpellier would be a very good signing or Selevasio Tolofua from Toulouse. Hooker wise if the Taylor rumour has any truth to it that’ll be good too. Andre Esterhuizen will be a great centre signing too. Personally, I hope we keep Manu, England selection should keep him in the country anyway.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

I think we should begin to look for more South African based players as with their relaxed selection policy of overseas players, they would more likely to join us. There will also be an inevitable influx of former All Blacks on the market straight after the world cup who we could look into. Also there will be a lot of fringe internationals moving on al over the world.
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Denton has only just signed a 3 year contract and Holmes a further extension . Toomua def going , perhaps Polota-Nau and Fitzgerald also ,
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I have said it before on another thread - In my opinion F Tuilagi is not in the same class as the rest of the family and is at best a championship player. Williams, Kalamafoni, Denton, Owen, Holmes, Thompstone are essential for me. TPN and Youngs I would want to keep along with Cortes and Faeo. I also believe that we have another Cole on our books and would have him on a long contract asap - Heyes. I find it hard to believe you have not mentioned - Olowafela, Jordan, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Reffell as development squad players who should be seriously considered for the senior squad. Their promotion will also have an influence on who we need to recruit.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm I have said it before on another thread - In my opinion F Tuilagi is not in the same class as the rest of the family and is at best a championship player. Williams, Kalamafoni, Denton, Owen, Holmes, Thompstone are essential for me. TPN and Youngs I would want to keep along with Cortes and Faeo. I also believe that we have another Cole on our books and would have him on a long contract asap - Heyes. I find it hard to believe you have not mentioned - Olowafela, Jordan, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Reffell as development squad players who should be seriously considered for the senior squad. Their promotion will also have an influence on who we need to recruit.
I respect your aforementioned opinions, however I struggle to see why you think Owen should be kept, a great player but nonetheless one that is plagued by injury. If he stays, great, but if he goes in my opinion it’s not the end of the world.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm I have said it before on another thread - In my opinion F Tuilagi is not in the same class as the rest of the family and is at best a championship player. Williams, Kalamafoni, Denton, Owen, Holmes, Thompstone are essential for me. TPN and Youngs I would want to keep along with Cortes and Faeo. I also believe that we have another Cole on our books and would have him on a long contract asap - Heyes. I find it hard to believe you have not mentioned - Olowafela, Jordan, White, Simmons, Hardwick and Reffell as development squad players who should be seriously considered for the senior squad. Their promotion will also have an influence on who we need to recruit.
Why would I mention them when I was talking about senior players.

And all the ones mention really wouldn't have much affect on recruitment TBH as they have already been factored into the recruiting by the looks of our signings.

And Jordan is only 18 and 2 years younger than most of the players you mentioned very good player but we won't be rushing him into the senior team just yet.

I don't quite see how Owen, Holmes, Kalamafoni and Thompstone are all essential very good players but hardly hard to replace like for like wise at the same wage structure but each to their own I guess.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 pm I think we should begin to look for more South African based players as with their relaxed selection policy of overseas players, they would more likely to join us. There will also be an inevitable influx of former All Blacks on the market straight after the world cup who we could look into. Also there will be a lot of fringe internationals moving on al over the world.
Agree on the south Africans, and with the current economy over there it's easy to see why a few are looking at moving already.

AB IMO tend to rarely be worth the money though, who was the last AB to play in Europe that really stole the show. The players who just missed out on AB tend to have the better impact like Lowe.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm
Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:39 pm I think we should begin to look for more South African based players as with their relaxed selection policy of overseas players, they would more likely to join us. There will also be an inevitable influx of former All Blacks on the market straight after the world cup who we could look into. Also there will be a lot of fringe internationals moving on al over the world.
Agree on the south Africans, and with the current economy over there it's easy to see why a few are looking at moving already.

AB IMO tend to rarely be worth the money though, who was the last AB to play in Europe that really stole the show. The players who just missed out on AB tend to have the better impact like Lowe.
I think we should try and go in for some Maori All blacks much like James Lowe for Leinster. There are multiple options in the current squad who are players of premiership standard or higher like Akira Ioane, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Ash Dixon, Matt Proctor and Shaun Stevenson to name a few. All these players are first team quality and would probably be ready to leave NZ soon like Lowe.
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:49 pm

I think we should try and go in for some Maori All blacks much like James Lowe for Leinster. There are multiple options in the current squad who are players of premiership standard or higher like Akira Ioane, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Ash Dixon, Matt Proctor and Shaun Stevenson to name a few. All these players are first team quality and would probably be ready to leave NZ soon like Lowe.
This idea of looking through 'A teams' of countries could also work with South Africa with many players from there 2017 squad have already moved abroad such as Francois Venter, Juan De Jongh and Chris Cloete all moving to the premiership since then and with players like Ruan Combrinck, Warren Gelant and Ox Nche (one of my favourite props in the world) all still in South Africa not getting much first team game time they could be genuine options to buy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:47 pm
I don't quite see how Owen, Holmes, Kalamafoni and Thompstone are all essential very good players but hardly hard to replace like for like wise at the same wage structure but each to their own I guess.
Agreed. Good squad players but replaceable.
Richardfje wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:57 pm
Matt Proctor would be handy. Good all rounder that covers most of the backline. With Tait probably due to retire he'd be a good replacement would also lessen the impact of losing Owen with Worth coming through. I'm a big Milner-Scudder fan but he's too injury prone.

What we need is a new lock. Ideally Fitzgerald out and keep Kitchener for one more year (he's a one man lineout). RB's suggestions of Snyman or Kremer are certainly the type I'd like to see, mobile and powerful units that like to play a physical style. Spencer, Williams and Wells fit that description already so let's add to them.

Prop. Ma'afu is supposedly out with the big PI prop coming in from France. That'll help. If we can replace Cortes with a Bok brute I wouldn't say no either, even better if we can get both under the cap.

Other than that I'd be happy keeping what we've got. Joe Ford and McMillan leaving is probably inevitable. Kerr and Hardwick are both ready to step up and there's more talent coming through behind them.

If there's a quality fullback with a howitzer of a boot then that would be good. As would Taylor in for TPN (though TPN has another year on his contract). They are icing on the cake though, signings in utility back, lock and prop are the priority.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

With Toomua going we need a quality 10/12 to cover when George Ford is away. Hardwick is good enough but if we rely on him alone one injury leaves us short on quality cover in a most vital position.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dl7RXUcTsM

These are some highlights of Warren Gelant and he looks like the full package in terms of fullback or winger cover or even starter. He has a great running game solid defence and a huge boot which would extremely useful. So I say lets look to get him in.