Joe El-Abd

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Joe El-Abd

Post by fentiger »

Not really heard of this guy until recently, he's doing a good job with the forwards at Castre. Apparently his contract is up this season, I think Tigers should seriously look at recruiting him.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Joe El-Abd

Post by TomWeston »

fentiger wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:01 pm Not really heard of this guy until recently, he's doing a good job with the forwards at Castre. Apparently his contract is up this season, I think Tigers should seriously look at recruiting him.
As Steevee seems to have got his mojo back perhaps Joe El Abd will bring him with him.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Played at openside for Bath and Bristol.

When you say he is doing well with the forwards where do you see him fitting in at Tigers? He's listed as Castres defensive coach so do you want to replace Brett Deacon or Mark Bakewell or just add him to the team?

Do we really need Steve Mafi with the success of Denton, Thompson and Spencer together with the re-emergence of Mike Williams and the fact that Harry Wells seems to be breaking through into the starting line up?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:46 pm Played at openside for Bath and Bristol.

When you say he is doing well with the forwards where do you see him fitting in at Tigers? He's listed as Castres defensive coach so do you want to replace Brett Deacon or Mark Bakewell or just add him to the team?

Do we really need Steve Mafi with the success of Denton, Thompson and Spencer together with the re-emergence of Mike Williams and the fact that Harry Wells seems to be breaking through into the starting line up?
No we don't need Steve back again - we are well equipped in the back row and can't see who he would push out?? Not for me I am afraid.
Hehehehehehehehe
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:46 pm Played at openside for Bath and Bristol.

We have an increasingly stronger depth to our playing squad, I feel that we could probably add to the coaching set up to share some of the load. Not replacing anyone at this stage.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Agreed, Joe El-Abd would bring to the table a big improvement on the extremely erratic current defence , especially around the breakdown.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I'd happily offload both Fitzgerald and Mapapalangi to make way for a returning Mafi. Both are good players, but are surely drifting down the pecking order as everyone else is lifting their performances.

We're in the happy situation of not needing to bring someone in, but his performance against Exeter was magnificent.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am I'd happily offload both Fitzgerald and Mapapalangi to make way for a returning Mafi. Both are good players, but are surely drifting down the pecking order as everyone else is lifting their performances.

We're in the happy situation of not needing to bring someone in, but his performance against Exeter was magnificent.
Especially Mapapalangi, I rated him last season but with the likes of Lewis and Reffell coming through the academy and Williams being able to cover flanker I feel there’s no need for him anymore!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mafi messed us about last season.

Was meant to be coming to us pretty much but last minute signed a massive contract wth castre.

I don’t he will ever return or be offered another chance at returning now after that and given his age.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:32 am Mafi messed us about last season.

Was meant to be coming to us pretty much but last minute signed a massive contract wth castre.

I don’t he will ever return or be offered another chance at returning now after that and given his age.
I think the Mafi bridges may no longer be just burned, but nothing but ashes.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Agreed. Mafi has stitched us up twice now. Good player but no thanks. Would rather have a guy you can rely on.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

4071 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:23 am I'd happily offload both Fitzgerald and Mapapalangi to make way for a returning Mafi. Both are good players, but are surely drifting down the pecking order as everyone else is lifting their performances.

I know Mr Mafi got homme du match at the weekend, but he certainly isn't getting any younger and has not been great for the rest of the season, he would be another year older by the time he gets here and surely this goes against all the backers of promoting our youngsters?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too