Thomas Waldrom

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Thomas Waldrom

Post by Stephen18 »

Thomas waldrom has announced his retirement, a great player, I wish had been a tiger for longer. I wish him luck for the future.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Thomas Waldrom

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 pmI wish had been a tiger for longer.
Me too, but it was not to be. I thank him for his efforts in the Tigers shirt and wish him and his family all the very best for the future.

Toot toot.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:53 pm
Stephen18 wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 pmI wish had been a tiger for longer.
Me too, but it was not to be. I thank him for his efforts in the Tigers shirt and wish him and his family all the very best for the future.

Toot toot.
+1
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Was let go while still very useful and massively strengthened Exeter's team whilst weakening ours. As if that wasn't bad enough we did the same with Julian Salvi. Two players who helped Exeter move on a level while we failed to adequately replace them, initially at least.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

POSTIGER wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am Was let go while still very useful and massively strengthened Exeter's team whilst weakening ours. As if that wasn't bad enough we did the same with Julian Salvi. Two players who helped Exeter move on a level while we failed to adequately replace them, initially at least.
Big mistakes indeed but that is what happens when you challenge the 'Tigers Way'
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Not sure that the mistakes were Tigers........Salvi wanted away for the money in France and his contract through. In the meantime, Tigers had securred Brendan O'Connor as a replacement........he made a rod for his own back.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am
POSTIGER wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:59 am Was let go while still very useful and massively strengthened Exeter's team whilst weakening ours. As if that wasn't bad enough we did the same with Julian Salvi. Two players who helped Exeter move on a level while we failed to adequately replace them, initially at least.
Big mistakes indeed but that is what happens when you challenge the 'Tigers Way'
That's what happens when you can't be assed to work for others and don't follow the training regime ....a trait carried over to Chiefs until seriously checked (most of my family live in Exeter and are Chiefs fans and TTTE was not universally welcome early on). The equivalent of Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke for Leeds Utd, others graft, you finish.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm
TigerCam wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:33 am
That's what happens when you can't be assed to work for others and don't follow the training regime ....a trait carried over to Chiefs until seriously checked (most of my family live in Exeter and are Chiefs fans and TTTE was not universally welcome early on). The equivalent of Alan 'Sniffer' Clarke for Leeds Utd, others graft, you finish.
I tend to agree with jgriffin here as I think the Chiefs continued form would suggest that TTT was not a key to their success and he did seem improve after joining Exeter in my opinion.
One massively important factor though that English players could well learn just a little bit from (although not too much as someone has to defend and win ball) and that is that minimising contact leads to less time on the treatment table.
To try and work a player out though, how hot are they elsewhere in comparison to the oppositions white line, some more than others!
At Leicester it was very noticeable, at Exeter less so after a settling in period.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Good player.
Seemed to fall out of favour at Tigers when he decided play for England.
Shame we didn't see more of him at 8 for Tigers.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Poor bloke was banging his head against a brick wall having to play 2nd fiddle to Jordan Crane, how chuffed would you be? :smt017
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

He was signed as cover for Crane who was expected to be in the 2011 World Cup squad, unfortunately Jordan got injured and then Thomas decided he was English and made himself unavailable to Tigers. He was not that much out of favour as he was offered and signed a second contract. I am one of the ones, possibly the only one who felt that the Tiger's pack performed better with Crane at eight than with Waldrom. I agree Thomas was more likely to run in a try but it is a team game and someone has to make the tackles and defend and Crane did that better, we could not afford two back row men standing off waiting for the ball to come to them (Croft and Waldrom) so Crane earned his place. Salvi told Tigers he was signing for more money for a French side and when that did not materialise wanted to change his mind after we had signed Brendan O Connor.
For me Parling was the biggest loss to Exeter but his games per season record was not great for us whilst he was being selected for England.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm He was signed as cover for Crane who was expected to be in the 2011 World Cup squad, unfortunately Jordan got injured and then Thomas decided he was English and made himself unavailable to Tigers. He was not that much out of favour as he was offered and signed a second contract. I am one of the ones, possibly the only one who felt that the Tiger's pack performed better with Crane at eight than with Waldrom. I agree Thomas was more likely to run in a try but it is a team game and someone has to make the tackles and defend and Crane did that better, we could not afford two back row men standing off waiting for the ball to come to them (Croft and Waldrom) so Crane earned his place. Salvi told Tigers he was signing for more money for a French side and when that did not materialise wanted to change his mind after we had signed Brendan O Connor.
For me Parling was the biggest loss to Exeter but his games per season record was not great for us whilst he was being selected for England.
I would love to agree with you John but sadly I cant. Jordan went to ground too often only making 1/2 yd or so, he was so predictable opponents knew exactly what he was going to do. Thomas scored loads of tries and tries can and do win games. I am fully aware that he did not always fit with the coaches plan but give me a Waldron, Cips or similar any day.
Just had another thought, if Waldron was to be away with England for long periods, then Tigers had Crane, who you believe was better for the team anyway!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

johnthegriff wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm He was signed as cover for Crane who was expected to be in the 2011 World Cup squad, unfortunately Jordan got injured and then Thomas decided he was English and made himself unavailable to Tigers. He was not that much out of favour as he was offered and signed a second contract. I am one of the ones, possibly the only one who felt that the Tiger's pack performed better with Crane at eight than with Waldrom. I agree Thomas was more likely to run in a try but it is a team game and someone has to make the tackles and defend and Crane did that better, we could not afford two back row men standing off waiting for the ball to come to them (Croft and Waldrom) so Crane earned his place. Salvi told Tigers he was signing for more money for a French side and when that did not materialise wanted to change his mind after we had signed Brendan O Connor.
Absolutely agree!
See Crane anticipating defensively and freeing up others!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pS-kKqvWqiM
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:28 pm
I would love to agree with you John but sadly I cant. Jordan went to ground too often only making 1/2 yd or so, he was so predictable opponents knew exactly what he was going to do. Thomas scored loads of tries and tries can and do win games. I am fully aware that he did not always fit with the coaches plan but give me a Waldron, Cips or similar any day.
Just had another thought, if Waldron was to be away with England for long periods, then Tigers had Crane, who you believe was better for the team anyway!
Crane has said last year that this was part of his role in the team plan.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.