BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Scarlets

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:48 pm Some comments on the Scarlets forum:

Outclassed and out fought

Tonight we got beaten by far better team

It's been a while since anyone said that about us!
It's mild mannered afternoon tea time talk on here by comparison to what they'll get at having lost!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

ourla wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 pm And throwing all sorts of accusations at Coley.

Which means he played a blinder.
Always gets accused of cheating, but then again most decent front rowers do
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I liked the couple of quick line out bluffs called by Kitchener and thrown to the front for Williams to knock down, lead to quick ball to the 3s and line breaks. Hope i've not just given away our new play!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I love seeing some young 'home grown talent' starting and coming off the bench as well. It's been a while. Spencer, Thompson and Denton are v good additions to the squad. They may not be top line All Blacks , but they bring some physicality and spikiness - which we've lacked for some time. Eastmond is working very hard all over the field. If only we can find some consistency.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Bit of a sore head this morning but I’m not complaining as it was a much deserved win with a bp, and just as important, no losing bp for Llanelli (can’t be doing with this ‘Scarlets’ nonsense !). Racing, however, will be a tougher nut to crack.
Semper in excretia
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

ourla wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:50 pm And throwing all sorts of accusations at Coley.

I'd love to know what EJ's reasons are for leaving him out of the England squad. No doubt it's another motivational master class from Mr Jones. He's just shorn himself of the best scrummager in the country. Nice one Eddie!

On a side note, well done to Geordie. I really feel he's slowly going back to the principles that have served us well in the past. We are still making some seriously daft errors but we're clearly heading in the right direction and the players clearly want to do well for him which makes him a better bet than MO'C already.

IMHO it's pleasing to see the academy guys given opportunities- they tend to be the guys who are willing to turn their blood to water for the club. I'd much rather see the likes of Heyes given a chance than (for example) Kyle Traynor rumbling on to absolutely no effect. I'd much rather see a young gun given a chance than some journeyman on a six month contract who isn't adding any value.

I think IF (and it's a very big if) we can keep BO'C or Evans fit and can field a genuine openside in the majority of games then we've got a chance of doing something. So frustrating with BO'C, such a good player for us but never seems to manage more than a 2 or 3 games in a row for us. I think that 7 spot is key for us.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Not perfect but that was a Leicester Tigers performance. Dan Cole was huge. He’s always got a stupid penalty in him, but he carried well, is a nuisance at the breakdown and the scrum is a big weapon for us. Loved the youngsters coming on and providing energy until the final whistle.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

BigDan50 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:43 am My son has been working in Wales with some Scarlet fans this week and they think their coming to Welford Road to get an easy win, he also said that they don't call us Tigers but tuggers as they think Leicester fans are a load of :censored:, not very nice is it.
Now, what’s the Welsh for humble pie?
😊
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 am

I'd love to know what EJ's reasons are for leaving him out of the England squad. No doubt it's another motivational master class from Mr Jones. He's just shorn himself of the best scrummager in the country. Nice one Eddie!

On a side note, well done to Geordie. I really feel he's slowly going back to the principles that have served us well in the past. We are still making some seriously daft errors but we're clearly heading in the right direction and the players clearly want to do well for him which makes him a better bet than MO'C already.

IMHO it's pleasing to see the academy guys given opportunities- they tend to be the guys who are willing to turn their blood to water for the club. I'd much rather see the likes of Heyes given a chance than (for example) Kyle Traynor rumbling on to absolutely no effect. I'd much rather see a young gun given a chance than some journeyman on a six month contract who isn't adding any value.

I think IF (and it's a very big if) we can keep BO'C or Evans fit and can field a genuine openside in the majority of games then we've got a chance of doing something. So frustrating with BO'C, such a good player for us but never seems to manage more than a 2 or 3 games in a row for us. I think that 7 spot is key for us.
I'd say it's a message to say "make sure you keep yourself at the top of your game" and also to keep him fresher for the Six Nations and the World Cup.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

ellis9 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:43 am
POSTIGER wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 am

I'd say it's a message to say "make sure you keep yourself at the top of your game" and also to keep him fresher for the Six Nations and the World Cup.
I'm sure you're right Ellis but does EJ have the luxury of dropping his best tighthead when the other options are hardly banging down the door? You may be right about keeping him fresh but Dan looks in pretty good nick to me.

Still seems a very strange decision to leave him out of the squad altogether. Leave him out of the starting XV, I can just about understand that (seeing what others can do etc) but to not have someone of Dan's calibre as an option....risky.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

does anyone KNOW the answer to the question about the last time there were no Tigers forwards in an England squad (not just the team)
Last edited by trendylfj on Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hehehehehehehehe
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

Thought Thompson was outstanding - easily man of match , with Manu not far behind . Poloata - nau was a big improvement on Tom Youngs - only one line out cocked up and Kerr did well when he came on . Ben Youngs was very average - too many individual errors and some shocking passes . Pleased with Kitch's contribution late on .
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:25 am Bit of a sore head this morning but I’m not complaining as it was a much deserved win with a bp, and just as important, no losing bp for Llanelli (can’t be doing with this ‘Scarlets’ nonsense !). Racing, however, will be a tougher nut to crack.
You can come again, must be a lucky omen!

Really enjoyed the game, good atmosphere despite only 18,500 ish fans. Disappointing that, but not surprising given our current form.

Thought everyone played well but special praise for Ford, Thompson, Manu and Cole.

We are back!!! (I hope :smt003 ).
Soggypitch
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

A terrific contest and a hugely enjoyable outcome. Yes there are things to work on but the boys came out second half with real inent. Very much a team performance and a welcome return to form for Manu. Seems to me that this is a much happier group of people than we have seen for a while.
I'm not cynical just experienced
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

18,500ish fans - nearer 12,500 I reckon . Can't have been more than 500/600 in the New Stand .