Tigers v Scarlets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Scarlets

Post by trendylfj »

I have to say that the recruitment for the start of this season has been as good as it as ever been and certainly the best for several years - I had doubts about Denton - I have them no more. I had doubts about Thomson - I have them no more. I had slight doubts about Spencer - I have them no more. Is it a coincidence that Dusty returned in a scouting role???? I don't know but I do know that our back row options are the best we have had for the last 5 or 6 years.
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 pm
voice of the crumbie wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:54 pm
Kalamafoni worries me everytime he picks and goes in our 22. Not explosive enough to break the tackle and doesn't stay on his feet very long. Always the risk of a turnover. He took his try well and gets around the park a lot.
Funny you should say that. I said to my terrace friends on Friday night that he makes a lot of carries but doesn't really break the tackle. Good to have my opinion confirmed. It has led to us jokingly naming him "call me a phony". Probably a bit harsh but made us smile.
Big ball carrying eights are on big money these days as there aren't many of them about, especially the ones with a fiendish offload. Kalamafoni might not be eye catching but he won't be costing us much so we're getting spectacular value out of his reliability. Most carries in the league last year, and most tackles from any Tiger. Player's player of the year as well.
Sorry to clarify. It's only off the back of the scrum I have reservations. In open play he's a real work horse for the team. He took his try very well against Scarlets and if we keep developing the attack in the way we are doing hopefully we'll see more of this angled runs as opposed to asking him to run into a brick wall for 80 minutes.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

as I mentioned in another post.. all of Kalli's carries in our 22 off the back of the scrum came from illegally collapsed scrums by Scarlets and a ref who waved it on. if they had been made to stay on their feet, the scrum would have gone back their back row would have had to stay bound and their backs would be retreating ... that makes it a much more advantageous field to run at. so I'm afraid this observation about Kalli is a bit unfair.