England squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: England squad

Post by sam16111986 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm Cole has never been best ball in hand, but is a rock at scrum time. I do feel that he hasn’t been in the best of form lately and can offer more around the park, especially at the breakdown.

Sinckler has all the attributes to be our best tighthead but whether he can prove himself as a starting prop is another issue. I guess we won’t know without him getting a chance.

Paul Hill is another one for me who could have a big future for England. But lack of gametime at Saints seems to have stalled his progress. Plus we have Heyes who no doubt will be a star tighthead long term.
I think Cole has been making a lot of tackles and carrying whenever he can. He's not a big hitter so it's functional rather than eye catching. He seems to have lost his jackling abilities which were what used to set him apart.

I think Eddie wants to have a look at what he's got. He knows Cole will come in and do a job if needed but other options are more explosive. I rate Paul Hill as well, if he is available next summer then I hope we'd bid. With Cole 31, Hill 23 and Heyes 19 that would be some nice natural succession at tighthead.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

To all you Cipriani lovers......

Has he played as well as Ford and Farrell this season from a creativity perspective - Yes all three have been in excellent form.

Is his defence better than Ford and Farrell - No.

Is his goal kicking anywhere near as good as Ford and Farrell - No

Is his character and all round reliability (on and off the field) as good as Ford and Farrell - No.

Conclusion - if included in the current squad he would be very unlikely to get any game time and we don't need him as a utility player with the likes of Lozowski in the squad.

Should he be called up if Ford or Farrell get injured - Yes

Did EJ make the right call - Yes.
Soggypitch
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

A very average England squad and sadly not a lot of others options that would greatly change it.
I'd still include Cipriani and if not to start then at least to bring something different off the bench but I think Farrell will be handed the 10 jersey eventually and Ford could be the bench option.
I'd also have players in like Roko and Goode to come off the bench, they are something different.
Manu hasn't done much to earn a recall, a sign of the times and the desperation, Te'o hasn't done much, Ashton couldn't do much as he has been banned, Shields hasn't done much, the South Africans haven't done that much, blimey has anyone done much!
Very average!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Why is Cipriani so consistently overlooked by subsequent England coaches? no-one can deny his exciting individual skills so it has to be his character, takes more than silky skills to be successful as a squad, you have to be a team player and inspire others to be united, which I think possibly Cipriani does not.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:00 am To all you Cipriani lovers......

Has he played as well as Ford and Farrell this season from a creativity perspective - Yes all three have been in excellent form.

Is his defence better than Ford and Farrell - No.

Is his goal kicking anywhere near as good as Ford and Farrell - No

Is his character and all round reliability (on and off the field) as good as Ford and Farrell - No.

Conclusion - if included in the current squad he would be very unlikely to get any game time and we don't need him as a utility player with the likes of Lozowski in the squad.

Should he be called up if Ford or Farrell get injured - Yes

Did EJ make the right call - Yes.
Could not have put it better!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

DingDong wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:20 am Why is Cipriani so consistently overlooked by subsequent England coaches? no-one can deny his exciting individual skills so it has to be his character, takes more than silky skills to be successful as a squad, you have to be a team player and inspire others to be united, which I think possibly Cipriani does not.
I think the feeling amongst many Cipriani fans is that whatever it is viewed that he possibly hasn't got then what exactly are the current shirt holders doing to prove that they are any better for it!
It can't be denied that England are on the slide, it's a bit of a mess all round in my opinion.
We are even at a stage now where the squad is filled with players who are selected based on the hope that past glories can return even though those past glories weren't really anything to shout that loud about, I mean they didn't win anything of note apart from the odd game when the All Blacks were poorly, and an ever increasing rotating bunch of foreign converts and kids.
Alex Goode should be involved though, for me he is the most glaring absentee and a player who's attitude canno't be questioned, an ultimate professional and 100% giver and unquestionable talent, for me he is an even stranger omission than Cirpiani.