Holmes called up for Wales

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1385
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:23 pm
Location: "The Home of the Game!"

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by wormus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm

kpj tiger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm
Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
Well Jonah did have an option at Scarlets but chose Tigers instead, so if he goes to Wales then the far west looks the option again. :smt010

voice of the crumbie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1806
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:25 pm
Location: coalville

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by voice of the crumbie » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:18 am

wormus wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:31 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm
Rugby Pass reporting that Holmes is likely to have signed a pre-contract agreement with a Welsh region for next season already
Well Jonah did have an option at Scarlets but chose Tigers instead, so if he goes to Wales then the far west looks the option again. :smt010
Let's hope it encourages him to play out of his skin on Friday night in order to impress future prospective employers.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1158
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by chewbacca » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am

Be a shame to see Holmes go but in reality he has had little first team action in his time with us and must consider that when injured players return he will again be out of the squad. With an opportunity to gain international appearances why would he stay.
I'm not cynical just experienced

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7271
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by jgriffin » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 am

chewbacca wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am
Be a shame to see Holmes go but in reality he has had little first team action in his time with us and must consider that when injured players return he will again be out of the squad. With an opportunity to gain international appearances why would he stay.
If Tiger's said you are the FB we intend to be No1 for the next 3 years, here's more dosh, then he might rethink playing for Dragons :smt003
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3546
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by mol2 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:40 am

Somehow I doubt they'll do that for someone who will be lost to internationals for another nation.

It's one thing signing an established international but as a Tigers fan and spend money on a season ticket I get annoyed at losing our players to flags of convenience. It's long overdue that the grandparent rule was scrapped. I'd scrap it for parents too with the exception of those who are forces children.

I appreciate that to compete at the top level clubs need a few foreign stars but those coming through the academy or being signed as English qualified need to have a clause in the contract that cuts their salary if they go and play for other nations.

If the Tigers ethos is to return the youngsters and signings need to buy into the Tigers and England rather than seeing Tigers as a stepping stone to international recognition.

BFG
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3123
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by BFG » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:06 am

mol2 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:40 am
Somehow I doubt they'll do that for someone who will be lost to internationals for another nation.

It's one thing signing an established international but as a Tigers fan and spend money on a season ticket I get annoyed at losing our players to flags of convenience. It's long overdue that the grandparent rule was scrapped. I'd scrap it for parents too with the exception of those who are forces children.

I appreciate that to compete at the top level clubs need a few foreign stars but those coming through the academy or being signed as English qualified need to have a clause in the contract that cuts their salary if they go and play for other nations.

If the Tigers ethos is to return the youngsters and signings need to buy into the Tigers and England rather than seeing Tigers as a stepping stone to international recognition.
I mostly agree with you but I do think that the youngsters also see Tigers as a stepping stone these days, it isn't taken as seriously as it should be and the commitment isn't what it should be, if they don't get what they want and quickly without really earning it then they often spit their dummies.
They are internationals with big ideas before they are even proven at 1st team level.
It's the cart before the horse IMO and is why the quality is reducing year on year.
Not that you can blame Holmes though as he hasn't been given the silver spoon treatment like many these days!

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:07 am

As harsh as it sounds I’m hoping he doesn’t get capped and therefore we can keep him at Tigers. I do think he’s a great player for us but he’s not international quality yet.

MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:17 am

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by MikeR » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:27 am

I think Holmes does have the potential to be our long term 15 - unlike Veianu he can defend . Whether he has a long term future with Wales is debateable - can't see him ever being above Halfpenny/Liam Williams in the pecking order.

chris111
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by chris111 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:58 pm

MikeR wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:27 am
I think Holmes does have the potential to be our long term 15 - unlike Veianu he can defend . Whether he has a long term future with Wales is debateable - can't see him ever being above Halfpenny/Liam Williams in the pecking order.
Wales looking to the future, maybe? Halfpenny is presumably highly unlikely to be around for 2023 WC, Williams marginal...

Leicestertinytiger
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1819
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by Leicestertinytiger » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:27 pm

I can’t see Holmes getting ahead of Williams or Halfpenny at fullback, same with Adams, Evans or North on the wings.

Seems like an odd selection for me, one which I hope doesn’t have a detrimental effect on his Tigers career. Adams is still playing for Worcester so who knows.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6275
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by JP14 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am

We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by Mark62 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 am

JP14 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am
We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
I thought the same thing, though as their u20 captain he must be on their radar.

As for Holmes I would be surprised if he gets capped in the Autumn there are a number of players ahead of him both on the wing and at 15

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1181
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:31 pm
Location: With the PFJ

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by loretta » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am

Mark62 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 am
JP14 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am
We should be careful to keep Welsh noses off Reffell too.
I thought the same thing, though as their u20 captain he must be on their radar.

As for Holmes I would be surprised if he gets capped in the Autumn there are a number of players ahead of him both on the wing and at 15
I expect him to get just 1 cap, enough to tie him to Wales for the future then leave him dangling.
I find your lack of faith......disturbing.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6275
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by JP14 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:17 am

They will probably bring him off the bench in the 79th minute against Tonga.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

DeadlyDunc
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Re: Holmes called up for Wales

Post by DeadlyDunc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:31 pm

Murph has said he is 100% staying in a mockery article today

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... hy-2131551

:smt026

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], longlivethecrumbie and 2 guests