Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Autumn Internationals

Post by strawclearer »

Billy Vunipola has broken his arm - the other one this time. He'll undergo surgery tomorrow and will be out for 12 weeks. With Simmonds injured and Hughes facing a ban - Zach Mercer or what price Ben Morgan (MoM yesterday)?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by JackFlashJonny »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm Billy Vunipola has broken his arm - the other one this time. He'll undergo surgery tomorrow and will be out for 12 weeks. With Simmonds injured and Hughes facing a ban - what price Ben Morgan (MoM yesterday)?
Things are really looking bleak for the England back row...Maybe Kvesic at 8 perhaps or Mercer...can't think of any English qualified 8's other than the two mentioned other than shoehorning a Wilson into the position for example

I think this may be a humbling Autumn for the white rose...
Last edited by JackFlashJonny on Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Vunipola is a big loss for England and Saracens.
Sarries could lose a few during the autumn internationals and will be disrupted but have points on the board already.
England are going to have to tough it out and a few Falcons players like Gary Graham, Mark Wilson etc should be in the reckoning.
Morgan is as good as the others allow in my opinion much like Waldrom was.
Jake Polledri is one that England have missed out on.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JackFlashJonny wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:18 pmI think this may be a humbling Autumn for the white rose...
What have Yorkshire done? :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm Billy Vunipola has broken his arm - the other one this time. He'll undergo surgery tomorrow and will be out for 12 weeks. With Simmonds injured and Hughes facing a ban - Zach Mercer or what price Ben Morgan (MoM yesterday)?
Am I being in cynical in thinking that Hughes will get something like a 2 week, maybe 3 week ban, starting from last week?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

TTRITH wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:13 am
strawclearer wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm Billy Vunipola has broken his arm - the other one this time. He'll undergo surgery tomorrow and will be out for 12 weeks. With Simmonds injured and Hughes facing a ban - Zach Mercer or what price Ben Morgan (MoM yesterday)?
Am I being in cynical in thinking that Hughes will get something like a 2 week, maybe 3 week ban, starting from last week?
Where do you think this is? France???
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

Think Don Armand should be called up - need some carrying power in the pack.
Him, Shields and Curry could make up the back row - underhill on the bench.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

clarkey80 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am Think Don Armand should be called up - need some carrying power in the pack.
Him, Shields and Curry could make up the back row - underhill on the bench.
Don Armand is a unit but I can understand why EJ doesn't fancy him, he doesn't seem to make the yards on his own but more with others latching on in contact, rarely does he threaten in behind and he is not a huge breakdown threat.
Ewers from the Exeter back row does the real gritty stuff in my opinion.
Shields and Underhill are not the in form players in the Premiership.
England's problem is going to be mobility and a line threat as they have been shown that muscling their way to victory isn't enough at international level and they have run out of steam in matches.
Billy V can do it all and that's why he is such a big loss.
Morgan is an option but only if the balance is right elsewhere.
Ewers, Curry and Morgan could be an option at 6, 7 and 8 but I don't think that is enough muscle or mobility for international level and it is a combination that will rely on a very strict structure to work and it has been shown that when the structure gets broken at international level then it's very difficult to be effective especially when it runs out of steam, the line out options are reduced and Curry is also still only a youngster.
Itoje, Kvesic and Gary Graham is a back row that possesses as big a workrate and attacking line threats as you are ever likely to find and they all possess a big breakdown threat and so will cope better in those moments when the structure is lost and they are also all current in form performers.
clarkey80
Tiger Cub

Post by clarkey80 »

Jonah Holmes called up for Wales.

Congrats to him - had a good few games.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Itoje got his nose broken on Saturday as well, but that probably won't keep him out. Reckon he deserved it, bit of old school.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

biffer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm Itoje got his nose broken on Saturday as well, but that probably won't keep him out. Reckon he deserved it, bit of old school.
I thought the behavour of the Sarries players was really poor on Saturday. Itoje mocking the Glasgow team for scoring a disallowed try was cheap on lowers people's opinions of him.
Probably for another thread but they appear to be a team that likes to be arrogant (no problem with, they are the best) and condescending.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:51 pm
biffer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm Itoje got his nose broken on Saturday as well, but that probably won't keep him out. Reckon he deserved it, bit of old school.
I thought the behavour of the Sarries players was really poor on Saturday. Itoje mocking the Glasgow team for scoring a disallowed try was cheap on lowers people's opinions of him.
Probably for another thread but they appear to be a team that likes to be arrogant (no problem with, they are the best) and condescending.
If there was arrogance then I thought the Glasgow celebration equally arrogant.
Gone seem to be the days of shaking hands and straight back for the next play.
They are jumping around and hugging, next will be kissing!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chance for Morgan and Teimana Harrison to get the recall methinks, then Mark Wilson who has played 8 for the Falcons.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I can't see the fascination with Morgan, a poor mans Waldrom in my opinion.
I'll never forget seeing him ignore a glaring Glaws overlap at WR a few years ago, little more a poacher although I'd accept that he looks in slightly better shape than back then I still think he wears blinkers until otherwise is proven.
England have bigger issues as first they need to create something to poach!
nasher

Post by nasher »

There must be some out of work kiwis or aussies Jones can call up. No point of looking in England!