Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiggersarewonderfulthings

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by Tiggersarewonderfulthings »

Hmmm. Wales made 14 changes to the side that played against Australia and - especially in the second half - scored some great tries with great offloading. They seemed to gel well enough.
Richard Cockerill: Norm Hewitt had the right idea.....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Mercer, Care and Lozowski dropped for Australia the Mail is reporting.

Hughes and Piers Francis come into the squad. Wrigglesworth will back up YBY.

Would like to see a back row of Hughes, Lawes and Underhill with Wilson and Shields on the bench.

Ashton retained despite going off injured. I was really disappointed with his kick chase on Saturday, we must challenge for the ball in the air to cause disruption, every time Daly went up he was under pressure and we need to do the same against Aus.

I can see Nowell and May on the wings with the young "monster" on the bench.....but who knows!!

Manu is still there....
Soggypitch
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 am If Leitch was available he would be a brilliant signing on Saturday's performance!

England learned a number of lessons on Saturday, mainly about earning the right to go wide, we just tried to fling it about expecting to easily pierce the Japanese line and not use our forward strength. The early Care try probably didn't help in that regard.

Disappointingly it took a EJ half time team talk and the introduction of Farrell to get the tactics/attitude right. However they did sort it out and will now be very focused on the Aussies next Saturday.

I was disappointed for Lozowski who I really rate. Yes he missed one bad tackle (which Dallaglio wrongly attributed to Ford in his Sunday Times column), but it was not his fault that the whole team got the tactics wrong, but he was the scapegoat in having to make way for Farrell. But it was either take him off or Ford, so I suppose it just shows how worried Eddie was at half time, that he felt it necessary to introduce Farrell so early in the game.
I'm a bit surprised that EJ hasn't tried a Ford/Farrell/Lozowski combination at 10/12/13, but then I suppose that'd put Te'o out of the picture who seems to be one of Eddie's favourites.
It would even open up a bench place for Cipriani, and would you know it they are all English so maybe they can play the English way!
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm Mercer, Care and Lozowski dropped for Australia the Mail is reporting.

Hughes and Piers Francis come into the squad. Wrigglesworth will back up YBY.

Would like to see a back row of Hughes, Lawes and Underhill with Wilson and Shields on the bench.

Ashton retained despite going off injured. I was really disappointed with his kick chase on Saturday, we must challenge for the ball in the air to cause disruption, every time Daly went up he was under pressure and we need to do the same against Aus.

I can see Nowell and May on the wings with the young "monster" on the bench.....but who knows!!

Manu is still there....

You have watched all the Autumn internationals and want to bench Wilson :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm
What's Wilson done - or not done - to be relegated to the bench? I'd play him at 8 alongside Lawes and Underhill and have Mercer on the bench. with Hughes to get more game time at his club. Alas, Mercer's been axed by Eddie and the anonymous Shields will no doubt feature somewhere. Shields is potentially a very good backrow forward, but as yet, I've not seen him live up his reputation.
Semper in excretia
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm
What's Wilson done - or not done - to be relegated to the bench? I'd play him at 8 alongside Lawes and Underhill and have Mercer on the bench. with Hughes to get more game time at his club. Alas, Mercer's been axed by Eddie and the anonymous Shields will no doubt feature somewhere. Shields is potentially a very good backrow forward, but as yet, I've not seen him live up his reputation.
I agree with you and JFJ that Wilson has played well in all three tests. Nevertheless if Hughes is fully fit (and he was only suspended not injured, so should be), he would offer more of a carrying option than Wilson, who is more of a workhorse back row forward (similar to Robshaw really). Yes Wilson would be very unlucky to be on the bench, but the back row would IMO be more balanced. Mercer had a poor game v Japan and has paid the price for this Test, but just like Care and Lozowski that doesn't mean he won't feature in the 6Ns. It's competitive out there, lots of good players to choose from!
Soggypitch
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:16 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:53 pm
I agree with you and JFJ that Wilson has played well in all three tests. Nevertheless if Hughes is fully fit (and he was only suspended not injured, so should be), he would offer more of a carrying option than Wilson, who is more of a workhorse back row forward (similar to Robshaw really). Yes Wilson would be very unlucky to be on the bench, but the back row would IMO be more balanced. Mercer had a poor game v Japan and has paid the price for this Test, but just like Care and Lozowski that doesn't mean he won't feature in the 6Ns. It's competitive out there, lots of good players to choose from!
Can’t blame Jones if he did bring Hughes straight back into the XV. It’s not like he’s been injured and may be lacking fitness.

For me he’s the best 8 in the premiership after Vunipola, I know he struggles to bring that into the international stage sometimes but we need that carrying ability.

Wilson can cover all three spots of the bench so stays in the 23, good impact for the last 20.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Can someone explain the selection of Francis to me?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Francis played well for Saints last weekend so I don’t mind.

I would go for:

1 Moon
2 Hartley
3 Sinckler
4 Itoje
5 Lawes
6 Wilson
7 Underhill
8 Hughes
9 Youngs
10 Ford
11 May
12 Farrell
13 Tuilagi
14 Nowell
15 Daly
16 George
17 Hepburn
18 Williams
19 Stooke
20 Shields
21 Wigglesworth
22 Te’o
23 Cokanasiga

Probably got thst entirly wrong but that is the 23 I’d like to see.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Care showed again that he can not control a game at this level.
This is why his only role is as impact sub. One of the younger 9s would be a better option than wigglesworth off the bench.

It is a concern that some of the younger, inexperienced players seemed to lack motivation when given a start. If they can’t be motivated to play lesser sides at this stage of their careers then you are in the wrong game.

Sir Clive was absolutely clear he would have taken Care off for booting it off at the end of the first half.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Torygraph now reporting:

"Manu Tuilagi is in surprise contention for his first involvement of England’s autumn series after being retained in a 26-man squad to face Australia on Saturday after Chris Ashton was ruled out with an ankle injury."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Nowell done his hamstring in training!!

So we are left with May, Daly and the big Bath winger in the back 3 but who will cover the back 3 on the bench?

Reports this morning say Manu will be benched, along with Wrigglesworth and Ford presumably. I really don't see how we can cover wing or FB if one of them gets injured. Manu is not a winger, nor is Slade or Teo.

We actually need Brown to come back into the squad and take his place on the bench, I can't really see what EJ can do with the current squad to have proper cover for all positions.
Soggypitch
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Confirmed Manu is on the bench.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sapajo wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:54 am Confirmed Manu is on the bench.
wing and centre cover along with Farrerll
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:56 am
sapajo wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:54 am Confirmed Manu is on the bench.
wing and centre cover along with Farrerll
Manu is not a winger, EJ is taking a big risk with this selection.
Soggypitch