Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by BFG »

Personally I like the Lozowski and Nowell experiment, it's physical and direct to split the field and has changeable pace.
I see those two players and am reminded of players like Ollie Smith and Dan Hipkiss.
Yes Daly is an option at 13 but is perhaps viewed as not physical enough.
Splitting the field has been England's main issue and why Manu is important.
I just hope that they have had the time to practice.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

On the bright side Holmes is having a really good start to the Wales v Tonga game, which means that he will be off soon!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:50 pm On the bright side Holmes is having a really good start to the Wales v Tonga game, which means that he will be off soon!!
I thought Murphy confirmed after the Saints game he had recently signed a contract extension with us. So with us for at least another season, hopefully two!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Hope so. He has an eye for the line and also can clearly cover at full back, which we will need for a while.
I have been driving and hearing England getting a run around at the cabbage patch. Sounds like they are lacklustre and playing at 60%.
What does it look like?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

First half England have been schooled in running rugby.
Poor at the breakdown in defence and too many penalties.
In attack it's often side to side, nowhere near direct enough.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Danny Care helping to show how good Ben Youngs is ...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Bristol Tiger wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:16 pm Danny Care helping to show how good Ben Youngs is ...
& YBY is nowhere compared to the other home nation 9's....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

For me Hepburn and Williams have been very poor for England and haven’t taken their chances. Neither have been strong at set piece or in the loose.

Unlike Sinckler who has grown in the starting shirt and makes his presence felt.

Everyone fit I would have the props as being:

1. Mako 3. Sinckler
16. Genge 17. Cole

Genge and Cole I think compliment each other very nicely. Cole whilst not the best ball in hand and a bit slow, still is the best at set piece and very good defensively. Wouldn’t let England down off the bench and is better than Williams.

Moon has probably nailed down the other loose head spot with Obano in the wings when fit. Schonert, Hill etc hopefully can nail down the other reserve spot.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Sinckler has done alright to be fair but there are still the occasional signs of a negative vibe when things don't go exactly his way.
It crept in a little against New Zealand.
That's still the biggest unknown and the 6N will be a really good test.
Moon has done alright, he sticks at it and shows no visible signs of flaws in temperament.
England lack leadership on yesterday's performance so temperament is very important, Farrell's entrance made a big difference.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 pm
Bristol Tiger wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:16 pm Danny Care helping to show how good Ben Youngs is ...
& YBY is nowhere compared to the other home nation 9's....
I have to agree other than having an eye for a bit space to go through? Only Faf does it better. Mind you he does most '9' things better IMO!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Watching the game highlights on the BBC, England gave Japan too much respect, Leitch was outstanding, should we go for him if Mapapalangi goes? Will certainly give us excellent leadership as well as blockbuster ballcarrying.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

If Leitch was available he would be a brilliant signing on Saturday's performance!

England learned a number of lessons on Saturday, mainly about earning the right to go wide, we just tried to fling it about expecting to easily pierce the Japanese line and not use our forward strength. The early Care try probably didn't help in that regard.

Disappointingly it took a EJ half time team talk and the introduction of Farrell to get the tactics/attitude right. However they did sort it out and will now be very focused on the Aussies next Saturday.

I was disappointed for Lozowski who I really rate. Yes he missed one bad tackle (which Dallaglio wrongly attributed to Ford in his Sunday Times column), but it was not his fault that the whole team got the tactics wrong, but he was the scapegoat in having to make way for Farrell. But it was either take him off or Ford, so I suppose it just shows how worried Eddie was at half time, that he felt it necessary to introduce Farrell so early in the game.
Soggypitch
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 am
I was disappointed for Lozowski who I really rate. Yes he missed one bad tackle (which Dallaglio wrongly attributed to Ford in his Sunday Times column)
Stewart Barnes during match commentray wrongly attributed the missed tackle to Ford. He did not even have the good grace to correct himself despite numerous replays of that try, that showed Ford was nowhere near that part of the pitch :smt009 Maybe Dayglo was listening in :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

sapajo wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 am
Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 am
I was disappointed for Lozowski who I really rate. Yes he missed one bad tackle (which Dallaglio wrongly attributed to Ford in his Sunday Times column)
Stewart Barnes during match commentray wrongly attributed the missed tackle to Ford. He did not even have the good grace to correct himself despite numerous replays of that try, that showed Ford was nowhere near that part of the pitch :smt009 Maybe Dayglo was listening in :smt002
You just said it, Barnes continues to open his mouth and lets his A£$e do the talking
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:09 am If Leitch was available he would be a brilliant signing on Saturday's performance!

England learned a number of lessons on Saturday, mainly about earning the right to go wide, we just tried to fling it about expecting to easily pierce the Japanese line and not use our forward strength. The early Care try probably didn't help in that regard.

Disappointingly it took a EJ half time team talk and the introduction of Farrell to get the tactics/attitude right. However they did sort it out and will now be very focused on the Aussies next Saturday.

I was disappointed for Lozowski who I really rate. Yes he missed one bad tackle (which Dallaglio wrongly attributed to Ford in his Sunday Times column), but it was not his fault that the whole team got the tactics wrong, but he was the scapegoat in having to make way for Farrell. But it was either take him off or Ford, so I suppose it just shows how worried Eddie was at half time, that he felt it necessary to introduce Farrell so early in the game.
2 things I would say Japan are not a push over side any more, I would like to see them play Italy and Argentina to truly see what level they are at, don't forget they scored 5 tries against NZ and secondly I don't care what the bitter and twisted Guscott (Barne's love child) says 11 changes to any team will make a huge difference and will take time to jell
God created rugby so footballers have heros too