Autumn Internationals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Internationals

Post by POSTIGER »

I thought that Mercer's introduction changed the game last Saturday. He's very unfortunate to have been dropped.

Sticking Ashton in when he hasn't played test rugby for a few years and 0 club rugby this season is a huge call too.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:56 am
ourla wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am Farrell has undoubtedly proved his critics of 2 or 3 years ago wrong.

He is one of the first names on the sheet in a team that consistently ranked top 4 in the world during his playing career.

Aside from the All Blacks he would be nailed on for any other nation.

As said "world class" is subjective but there can't be much doubt he is.
I remember a few years ago I asked if we would take Farrell if he wanted to come to Tigers/afford him and all that.. I stand by what I said back then. In a heart beat. He is what we are missing. Front facing, doesn't take a step back and incredibly competitive. Strikes me as a bloke who hates losing at anything. Give me some of that (Guy Thompson appears the same ilk) at Tigers any day. Playing on the edge is what marks the best out. Our very own Jonno was always playing on the edge and is considered one of the greatest locks. Macaw, bloke was never onside in his whole career...but he played to the edge of the rules.
Loving Farrell and his play.
Farrell isn't fit to lace Johnno's boots! You cannot compare them. There is no comparison whatsoever.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:44 pm
ourla wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am Farrell has undoubtedly proved his critics of 2 or 3 years ago wrong.

He is one of the first names on the sheet in a team that consistently ranked top 4 in the world during his playing career.

I remember a few years ago I asked if we would take Farrell if he wanted to come to Tigers/afford him and all that.. I stand by what I said back then. In a heart beat. He is what we are missing. Front facing, doesn't take a step back and incredibly competitive. Strikes me as a bloke who hates losing at anything. Give me some of that (Guy Thompson appears the same ilk) at Tigers any day. Playing on the edge is what marks the best out. Our very own Jonno was always playing on the edge and is considered one of the greatest locks. Macaw, bloke was never onside in his whole career...but he played to the edge of the rules.
Farrell isn't fit to lace Johnno's boots! You cannot compare them. There is no comparison whatsoever.
So you say ellis, but many of us who have graced this Board for a few years, will remember that you have always said Farrell was "rubbish" . So that really tells us all we need to know about your prejudices and opinions..... :smt009
Soggypitch
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Is there an AI highlights show on a catch up service somewhere?
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think in terms of their aggression, will to win and desire to be the best, i can quite easily compare them. My point was, he is the sort of player we are missing. I am sure you can see that he has a steely determination to win and that is what we need at Tigers?
There is never any points for 2nd place...
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm

I think in terms of their aggression, will to win and desire to be the best, i can quite easily compare them. My point was, he is the sort of player we are missing. I am sure you can see that he has a steely determination to win and that is what we need at Tigers?
No. We have a better fly half already.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:17 pm England
15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 22 caps)
14 Chris Ashton (Sale Sharks, 40 caps)
13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 14 caps)
12 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors, 14 caps)
11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 38 caps)
10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 62 caps) co-captain
9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 78 caps)

1 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, 1 cap)
2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints, 94 caps) co-captain
3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 14 caps)
4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 23 caps)
5 George Kruis (Saracens, 26 caps)
6 Brad Shields (Wasps, 3 caps)
7 Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
8 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 5 caps)

Finishers
16 Jamie George (Saracens, 29 caps)
17 Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs, 3 caps)
18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)
19 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 7 caps)
20 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 65 caps)
21 Danny Care (Harlequins, 82 caps)
22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 48 caps)
23 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 27 caps)

No Mercer, no Manu - Ashton starts.
I’m hoping Daly passes the ball in a bit more timely fashion - to Jonny in particular. I also worry for Ashton’s lack of match time good as he undoubtedly is in training. As a Tigers fan it’s good to see Manu’s fitness not being further risked, but as an England fan he’s a big big loss. The ABs dwell on their (rare) losses, and to lose one of the architects of that 2012 loss, will mean their confidence levels will have gone up. Think a gulf in class will be revealed...
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

... and experience. Take for example the respective back rows: the AB back row has 168 caps between them, England's has 14. It's hard to see anything but a substantial defeat.... but rugby is a game played with a strange shaped ball.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:55 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:26 pm

No. We have a better fly half already.
I'd say we have a flyhalf that offers us more of what we need currently and finally a head coach that will use him as he should be used.

Farrell has benefited hugely from the two Lions tours where he's been mentored by the best flyhalf in the NH. Which has brought on his game which was extremely limited initially. He's developed a very good short passing game. He's a perfect fit for Saracens who are all about being combative and pragmatic. The use of Goode as a secondary playmaker to add width to Farrell's game has been a significant part of their play as has the calming voice of Barritt at 12 who is really their midfield general.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Well England from 1 - 15 have had a great 1st half! Shame about the last 5 minutes.

It will be all about doing the basics well in the 2nd half, we did that for 35 mins, need another 40 this time!!

Ben Youngs superb and Underhill.
Soggypitch
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I have never seen such a joke of a decision, even Barnes said it was onside!!!!!

Great performance except lineout 2nd half, and Daly is not a full back.
Soggypitch
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

He wasn’t behind the rear feet of the ruck when the ball was picked up. Just before the pick up the ruck moves forward, Lawes needed to step back to stay inside. He didn’t, he was offside. Barnes is an idiot
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Agree re Daly
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm He wasn’t behind the rear feet of the ruck when the ball was picked up. Just before the pick up the ruck moves forward, Lawes needed to step back to stay inside. He didn’t, he was offside. Barnes is an idiot
Agreed with both points, Lawes also, he was offside, and then later throws a ridiculous pass.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The weather was the leveller today.
Ball in hand New Zealand were on another level.
Lawes was offside for me and obviously the officials, the only thing I didn't see clearly and have not seen again, was it a ruck!
Should've taken the three points.