Do we have a chance on Friday?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Do we have a chance on Friday?

Post by WiggoTiger »

Trying to be positive for Friday night, but do we realistically have any chance of winning a game in Europe at the moment?
Unless lineout issues and game management are sorted I feel a defeat could be on the cards.
Or is Wiggo just being negative?
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Do we have a chance on Friday?

Post by sapajo »

We certainly do have a chance, but unless we can redress 4 seasons of ineptitude in the next 6 days then its a very slim one.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scarlets are a team that could make us look very silly, they are missing a few but have some true quality throughout the team, at least James Davies is injured. The game plan used to be beat them up front, but that is not an easy prospect any more, with good weather it could be a game of two potent attacks (if we decide to play)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Yes, a massive reaction, we will win with bonus points, but as soon as the show hits the road in Paris December 9th, all the old gremlins will resurface.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

There's always a chance. Squad has enough ability. Spencer will come back in and maybe Denton as well. TV could return. Another week for Murphy to work on the various problem areas as well.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Daft question tbh Wiggo.

I expect us to win this one.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Yes.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:05 pm Scarlets are a team that could make us look very silly, they are missing a few but have some true quality throughout the team, at least James Davies is injured. The game plan used to be beat them up front, but that is not an easy prospect any more, with good weather it could be a game of two potent attacks (if we decide to play)
They have another ex Tiger development player in Tom Price - second row on the bench this weekend.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I only see two or three matches in a season at Welford Road, and this is one of 'em, so they'd better get their act together and give those Sosban Fachers a good pasting!
Semper in excretia
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I have a foot in both camps. I'm Leicester born and bred (used to live opposite the Granby Halls until the house was demolished to build a car park) although now living in Lincolnshire. My late wife was from Llanelli, so have followed both teams for more than 20 years.

Tigers seem to have improved the defending near the try line, but are still poor in broken play. Where are Scarlets at their most dangerous? In broken play, especially on turnover ball in their own 22. If Tigers can slow down Scarlet's possession at the ruck and hang onto the ball when they have it, then we will have a good chance. Otherwise, we could be almost as bad as Bath when they played Scarlets at the Rec and had conceded 4 tries before half time.

Scarlets do have a fair few injuries at the moment, but they lose a lot of players during the AIs and 6N, as well as the usual string of injuries. Because of that, a lot of their 2nd string players get plenty of game time during each season. A lot more than at an English club.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:14 am Scarlets do have a fair few injuries at the moment, but they lose a lot of players during the AIs and 6N, as well as the usual string of injuries. Because of that, a lot of their 2nd string players get plenty of game time during each season. A lot more than at an English club.
True but against opposition of the same standard. It's basically like saying they've played more A game rugby than their English counterparts.
nasher

Post by nasher »

No.not a cat in hell
Tomvarndell
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Tomvarndell »

Of course we have a chance. Anybody saying anything else is plainly wrong.

I’m enjoying this season. My expectations for once are extremely low. I’m expecting us to go out in the group stages, probably with at least one game still to be played and I don’t expect any big play off games in May.

However, I see us as being a dangerous side to play this season. We have no real leaders, a coaching team who maybe absolutely useless but are definitely very inexperienced at best but what we do have is a sprinkling of very good players who just occasionally actually show us they are good! I see us as a team who without warning will go and beat a top side or absolutely destroy an average side. Then the following week play poor and lose to a poor side or get battered by a good side. There is just no guessing what we will do from one week to the next other maybe than having a poor line out! :smt001
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Well we'll be fielding the same number of players as them, so that's something! Five years ago this would have been a tough group to get out of, and at our current level it's completely impossible so there's no point worrying about it.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

if/when it clicks we can beat anyone. The issue is that we don't know when this is going to happen, we keep seeing fleeting glances of it and think we've turned the corner then it disappears.

We also need to start playing the refs better as we always somehow seem to get on their bad side..
cheers
Rich