Freddie Burns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

beech

Re: Freddie Burns

Post by beech »

George Ford for Freddie Burns. Who got the better deal? Perhaps some have changed their mind.
tf22
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

beech wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:48 pm George Ford for Freddie Burns. Who got the better deal? Perhaps some have changed their mind.
I'd take Owen Farrell over both every day of the week.
I'd take Steenson over both to be honest, at least he can kick goals.
Keep turning down what should be easy three pointers for a good kicker and continuing to allow the forwards to cock it up with dodgy line out throwing and weak mauling and Hardwick will possibly be bouncing off the changing room walls before long!
By the way credit to the Toulouse player for having the awareness to read the situation and not giving up to cause the Burns error!
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

I don’t think the loss of points for Tigers is George giving up 3 points (like today at 7-3 down) I think it is poor captaincy and not recognising that line out/mauling is so abject that scrumming or 3 points is by far the best option. Been said before on this forum but TY is not the best option for captain and one thing GM should and can do is change that ASAP
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

No sympathy whatsoever. All his own fault, no one else to blame, he lost the game single handed.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 pm
beech wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:48 pm George Ford for Freddie Burns. Who got the better deal? Perhaps some have changed their mind.
Keep turning down what should be easy three pointers for a good kicker and continuing to allow the forwards to cock it up with dodgy line out throwing and weak mauling and Hardwick will possibly be bouncing off the changing room walls before long!
By the way credit to the Toulouse player for having the awareness to read the situation and not giving up to cause the Burns error!
Isn't it strange how people see things? I believe it wasn't until the third game that Exeter took a kick at goal from a penalty. They get applauded for it but the negative Tigers fans say when we turn down the chance to go for 3 points that it's an incapability!
Last edited by ellis9 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freebird
Tiger Cub

Post by Freebird »

ellis9 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 pm
Isn't it strange how people see things. I believe it wasn't until the third game that Exeter took a kick at goal from a penalty. They get applauded for it but the negative Tigers fans say when we turn down the chance to go for 3 points that it's an incapability!
What's more, given that George is such a poor kicker and we have seemingly turned down so many kicks at goal as a result, it is rather surprising to find that he is the Premiership's top points scorer this season with 94 points - 25 more than Owen Farrell who is second.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

Freebird wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 pm
ellis9 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:31 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 pm I'd take Owen Farrell over both every day of the week.
Isn't it strange how people see things. I believe it wasn't until the third game that Exeter took a kick at goal from a penalty. They get applauded for it but the negative Tigers fans say when we turn down the chance to go for 3 points that it's an incapability!
What's more, given that George is such a poor kicker and we have seemingly turned down so many kicks at goal as a result, it is rather surprising to find that he is the Premiership's top points scorer this season with 94 points - 25 more than Owen Farrell who is second.
Before this weekend, Ford was actually the season top point scorer in Europe's top 3 leagues combined!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

2013 called for you. They want their opinions on George Ford's goal-kicking back.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Freddie absolutely needed to be subbed off. His head had gone at that point, and he would have been a total liability. He was wandering around berating himself instead of focusing on the game.

Anyone who thinks that being subbed off at that point was a mistake because it would hit his self-confidence is possibly missing the fact that his over-confidence lost the game, and the humiliation of throwing the match away had probably FAR more of an impact than the subsequent substitution.

Any support he gets from the management and team-mates will be in the coming week, rather than being expressed by keeping him on for the final three minutes of public agony.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

It's worrying to me how many in here are keen to gleefully pile on Freddie, he was a Tiger who worked hard for the club and was pushed out rather than jumped. We all make mistakes, it's just that for most of us the world isn't watching.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

4071 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 am
2013 called for you. They want their opinions on George Ford's goal-kicking back.
I do enjoy playing with the tools.
It's not that George is a bad kicker but we don't actually know how good he could be as the big chief throws most opportunities away at the line out.
I don't imagine Farrell or Steenson would allow that to continue for so long without telling it as it is, that is all!

Back on topic, I do have some sympathy for Burns and anyone who doesn't has no idea in my opinion!
He got plenty of stick for mistakes against Exeter and he has been playing out of position at full back.
The relief at doing something good against Toulouse was so evident and the interaction with the crowd got the better of him to create what was a basic mistake combined with the Toulouse players clever actions.