Matt Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomua

Post by JP14 »

I knew as soon as he came he Polota-Nau would be missing for chunks because of international duty.

Talking of internationals, it looks as though the Rugby Championship, Six Nations, Summer Tours and November internationals are all being condensed into a World League between the top 12 rugby nations after the current calendar ends.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm I knew as soon as he came he Polota-Nau would be missing for chunks because of international duty.

Talking of internationals, it looks as though the Rugby Championship, Six Nations, Summer Tours and November internationals are all being condensed into a World League between the top 12 rugby nations after the current calendar ends.
Must be great to have a crystal ball
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm You’re entitled to your opinion but I think some of your facts may be wrong.
It was Cheika that changed his tune on selecting foreign based players, after he realised he didn’t have the quality at 10/12, and in TPNs case Hooker.
From what I’ve heard Matt is finding spending extended periods of time apart from his wife, who is also a international sports player, difficult, and this plus the opportunity to live in Melbourne, recently voted the best city in the world to live, will have swayed his decision.

To question his commitment to the side shows a lack of understanding of the man.

Did he actually get red carded for the tip tackle in Glasgow, I know he should have been, but didn’t he get injured not long after.
The mists of time are clouding the memory.

The mists of time aren't clouding my memory. I assume when he signed the contract here (for the second time) he knew the distance between the UK and Australia. It's irrelevant whether it was MT who spoke to MC or the other way around. He'd given a commitment to us, then got 'a better deal' and has let us down. I want to see the club's money being invested in people who are desperate about making Tigers winners on the paddock. MT does not fall into that category. He is ambivalent. Rather than bending over backwards to accommodate and understand him, he should have been frozen out. I am just surprised people keep excusing his behaviour. He is a marquee player, on a marquee salary. He should be leading by example. Give me Dosser's son any day.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:43 pm I knew as soon as he came he Polota-Nau would be missing for chunks because of international duty.

Must be great to have a crystal ball
I’d love to have one but really it’s common sense, he had more than 60 caps therefore qualified for selection and being a 86 cap international I was expecting him to be selected.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller just for the sake of accuracy I just took this from Google

att Toomua escapes red card decision after dumping Finn Russell | RugbyDump
https://www.rugbydump.com › news › m...
Leicester Tiger's new man Matt Toomua was fortunate to escape with just a yellow card when he picked up and dumped Glasgow Warriors' Finn Russell during last night's European Champions Cup clash at Scotstoun ...

Would hate the facts to get in the way of a good rant :smt023
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I stand corrected. I note you don't develop on the contractual situation. Marquee player. Marquee salary? Marquee commitment?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am I stand corrected. I note you don't develop on the contractual situation. Marquee player. Marquee salary? Marquee commitment?
I agree the contractural situation isn’t ideal, but it is a lot more complex than just that. The chance to play for his country again at a World Cup, when he thought it had disappeared, plus spend more time with his wife are both huge factors.
I think you are misguided questioning his commitment to the club for the remainder of the season, no one is doing that for Louw or Le Roux, I’m sure he will give his all, but that is your view.
I’m sure the club will ensure we are adequately renumerated by the ARU for the broken year of his contract
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:35 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am I stand corrected. I note you don't develop on the contractual situation. Marquee player. Marquee salary? Marquee commitment?
I agree the contractural situation isn’t ideal, but it is a lot more complex than just that. The chance to play for his country again at a World Cup, when he thought it had disappeared, plus spend more time with his wife are both huge factors.
I think you are misguided questioning his commitment to the club for the remainder of the season, no one is doing that for Louw or Le Roux, I’m sure he will give his all, but that is your view.
I’m sure the club will ensure we are adequately renumerated by the ARU for the broken year of his contract
Interesting article in October's Rugby World on marquees/big names by 'the secret player' (allegedly a former Lion); "For signings, the percentage punt is on a solid journeyman."
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

It is not 'more complex than that'. He is a grown man. He made a commitment. Then broke it. Not because his wife is ill. It just suits Matt Toomua. Louw and Le Roux have not broken any agreements to their clubs. He didn't come over as some journeyman. He came over as a marquee player. The financial package brings with it responsibility.

This needs to be called out for what it is: because Tigers are drifting towards mediocrity. We (and I don't doubt that you are as passionate about Tigers as I am) need to be very hard edged about getting a team on the field that is 100% committed to the cause. Otherwise we are going to find ourselves drifting from 4th, to 5th, to 7th.

Lets agree to differ - and may Tigers beat Ulster - with Matt Toomua coming off the bench and scoring two late tries!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm It is not 'more complex than that'. He is a grown man. He made a commitment. Then broke it. Not because his wife is ill. It just suits Matt Toomua. Louw and Le Roux have not broken any agreements to their clubs. He didn't come over as some journeyman. He came over as a marquee player. The financial package brings with it responsibility.

This needs to be called out for what it is: because Tigers are drifting towards mediocrity. We (and I don't doubt that you are as passionate about Tigers as I am) need to be very hard edged about getting a team on the field that is 100% committed to the cause. Otherwise we are going to find ourselves drifting from 4th, to 5th, to 7th.

Lets agree to differ - and may Tigers beat Ulster - with Matt Toomua coming off the bench and scoring two late tries!
Yes let’s though I wonder what you would do presented with the same conundrum.
Am to understand that you feel Toomua, given the fact that he is definitely returning to Australia and is likely to be in their November squad, should not appear in a Tigers shirt again because he is not committed enough .

Are you BFG in disguise
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:41 pm
Traveller wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:16 pm It is not 'more complex than that'. He is a grown man. He made a commitment. Then broke it. Not because his wife is ill. It just suits Matt Toomua. Louw and Le Roux have not broken any agreements to their clubs. He didn't come over as some journeyman. He came over as a marquee player. The financial package brings with it responsibility.

Yes let’s though I wonder what you would do presented with the same conundrum.
Am to understand that you feel Toomua, given the fact that he is definitely returning to Australia and is likely to be in their November squad, should not appear in a Tigers shirt again because he is not committed enough .

Are you BFG in disguise
The club should have got Australia to buy him out his contract for this season and moved on. He’s already missed the first quarter of the premiership, so if he plays in the Autumn internationals too, he’ll have missed a considerable chunk of the season.

Putting it in simple terms, he’s screwed us over for this season, whether intentionally or not is by the by. Why care if the decision was complex for him personally? His decision has put the club in a poor position and for that he should be derided. We all care for the club above his happiness.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Some people on here have absolutely no perspective on the real world, just imagine George Ford was injured for the rest of the season, Hardwick isn't ready yet for the full responsibility, Joe Ford anyone, I suggest we won't see any lack of commitment from Matt for the rest of the season, Hardwick should spend the rest of the season learning from him, there are few better 12's in world rugby. He is an Australian sportsman, they not well known for taking things easy. He will not be easily replaced. (Crotty is good but not in the same league)
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 pm Some people on here have absolutely no perspective on the real world, just imagine George Ford was injured for the rest of the season, Hardwick isn't ready yet for the full responsibility, Joe Ford anyone, I suggest we won't see any lack of commitment from Matt for the rest of the season, Hardwick should spend the rest of the season learning from him, there are few better 12's in world rugby. He is an Australian sportsman, they not well known for taking things easy. He will not be easily replaced. (Crotty is good but not in the same league)
Agreed. It's far from an ideal scenario but where we're going to get a like for like replacement at that stage of the season?

Presumably the deal the board did with Matt and the ARU allowed us the cap space to bring in Eastmond which has turned out to be a handy piece of business.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 pm Putting it in simple terms, he’s screwed us over for this season, whether intentionally or not is by the by. Why care if the decision was complex for him personally? His decision has put the club in a poor position and for that he should be derided. We all care for the club above his happiness.
Frankly, that's a load of rubbish.

You really think Tigers are going to return to the top by punishing players who play international rugby? The team will be better for having Toomua here. Missing 6 premiership games is hardly a big deal, especially as he is here for Europe. Circumstances change, the day that rugby starts losing its values - such as forcing a player to see out his contract who is unhappy or wants to represent his country at the pinnacle of the sport - is the day that I stop being a rugby fan.

I'd rather have MT in the team for half a season than any of the current replacements that are available.