Matt Toomua

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Matt Toomua

Post by strawclearer »

Tigers have just tweeted a pic of MT and Kyle Eastmond training together, with the caption:

"Decisions, decisions ... 🤔

You’ve gotta love a bit of strength in depth! "
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

YOU CANNOT DROP EASTMOND OR HOLMES !!!!!!!!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm YOU CANNOT DROP EASTMOND OR HOLMES !!!!!!!!!
They can and might. I'd hope we would roll out the meritocracy line and tell Toomua and TPN that if they want their shirts back they are going to have to go and take them back.

I'd tell TV and Cortes the same. Good full blooded displays at the weekend from Tom, Heyes, Eastmond and Holmes. If anyone wants their shirts then they need to perform.

Squad competition is good for the squad.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Assuming that May is unavailable and TV is fit then it seems to me that we should leave Holmes at fullback and put TV in for May with Olowofela reverting to the bench. I agree that Toomua should be on the bench if fit as Eastmond has played so well. Heyes definitely deserves another bench place at tight head.

So my pick would be:

Bateman
Tom Y
Cole
Williams
Wells
Thompson or Denton
BOC or Thompson
Kalamafoni
B Youngs
Ford
TV
Eastmond
Manu
Thompstone
Holmes

Faeio
TPN/Mc Millan
Heyes
Lewis
BOC/Thompson/Mapapalangi (depends on whose fit)
Harrison
Toomua
Olowofela
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm
fortysix wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 pm YOU CANNOT DROP EASTMOND OR HOLMES !!!!!!!!!
They can and might. I'd hope we would roll out the meritocracy line and tell Toomua and TPN that if they want their shirts back they are going to have to go and take them back.

I'd tell TV and Cortes the same. Good full blooded displays at the weekend from Tom, Heyes, Eastmond and Holmes. If anyone wants their shirts then they need to perform.

Squad competition is good for the squad.
This isn't kindergarten.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

MT 12 Eastmond 13 with Hardwick on the bench?
I'm not cynical just experienced
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Toomua was poor when he played v Exeter after just flying back from Australia.

Eastmond's been playing well. Manu is just getting some form back.

MT on the bench definitely for Saturday, along with TPN.
Soggypitch
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 am MT 12 Eastmond 13 with Hardwick on the bench?
MT - Manu Tuilagi or Matt Toomua. :smt003
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Flash

Post by Flash »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 am
chewbacca wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:15 am MT 12 Eastmond 13 with Hardwick on the bench?
I'd assumed Mat Tait was back from injury :smt002
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Flash wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 am
I'd assumed Mat Tait was back from injury :smt002
Yes :smt003 But in the context of the discussion at that point Toomua. Manu is finding some form but I would pick Toomua and Eastmond for their defending and kicking from hand which may be significant on the day if the forecast is accurate
I'm not cynical just experienced
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I know this won't go down well, but just read TM's piece in the Mercury. I find it all a bit 'faux', this business about 'the boys' and 'challenging for a place'. As if there has been some huge commitment on his part to Tigers.

He took the big bucks to come to a great club as a Marquee player, with the responsibilities that go with it. Red carded, then out for the year injured (not his fault)/ Then a decent season from him. But as an international / Marquee player I'd expect no less.

As soon as he has a new two year contract in his back pockets he flutters his eyes at Cheika. He's missed nearly a quarter of this season already, when Tigers really needed to start all guns blazing. This is not a marquee player going the extra mile - it is a marquee player barely going a mile. The decision not to fulfil his contract has complicated recruitment. I wonder if he would have made the same decision if Tigers were winning European Cups and Premierships.

I'm not sure why he gets treated with kid gloves. He's let the club down. Barely off the plane and we get the 'the boys are really up for Ulster' drivel from him, as if he is really committed. I'd rather see an academy player selected.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

You’re entitled to your opinion but I think some of your facts may be wrong.
It was Cheika that changed his tune on selecting foreign based players, after he realised he didn’t have the quality at 10/12, and in TPNs case Hooker.
From what I’ve heard Matt is finding spending extended periods of time apart from his wife, who is also a international sports player, difficult, and this plus the opportunity to live in Melbourne, recently voted the best city in the world to live, will have swayed his decision.

To question his commitment to the side shows a lack of understanding of the man.

Did he actually get red carded for the tip tackle in Glasgow, I know he should have been, but didn’t he get injured not long after.
The mists of time are clouding the memory.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think especially after he leaves people will quite rightly question MT commitment to Tigers. He will have been paid 3 seasons on marquee wages, but it sure doesn’t feel like we’ve had 3 seasons out of him.

Especially when he indicated in May this year that he didn’t know whether he would play for Australia again, he was happy extending his contract with Tigers etc etc made out he would be with us for the long term.

What almost is the point of him being here this season, he’s already missed a solid chunk of the premiership. Should have just had Australia pay him out early.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Did people not expect Polota-Nau to not be called up to Australia when he signed for us :smt017?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:11 pm Did people not expect Polota-Nau to not be called up to Australia when he signed for us :smt017?
Don’t think we did, Stephen Moore’s retirement and lack of quality in the super rugby at hooker has forced Cheika’s hand. TPN is in his early 30s after all