Ulster v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

brooksey845

Re: Ulster v Tigers

Post by brooksey845 »

I thought Bakewell had simplified our line out to make it more simple?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:01 pm I refer only to since when he succeeded MOC.
So he has had nothing to do with signings so far.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Well he certainly was involved in the recruitment of our temporary prop and scrum half as he asked for them!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:42 pm Well he certainly was involved in the recruitment of our temporary prop and scrum half as he asked for them!
Temporary prop? You mean Ma'afu who I think is here for the season. He was announced on the same day as Fe'ao so not Murphy's choice.

The scrum half is just necessity because of injuries and international call ups.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I started a lineout trail two weeks ago, but no one seemed interested. We simply can't go into games knowing a fundamental part of our game is comical and hope to win. It's been like this for at least three years. It's like playing without a back three and hoping the opposition won't kick. Or deciding to miss all your penalty attempts at goal. It can't be that difficult over a three year period to get a lineout that functions at a basic level.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:33 pm
G.K wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:10 pm Well after a good win at Saints last week it was back to the same old, negative, brain dead Rugby. Never looked like scoring after the early penalty. If the team could just learn one simple thing - you can't win by aimlessly hoofing it to the opposition when in an attacking position. It's rinse and repeat. I predict no play-offs again this year.
MOC has gone but the clueless kicking the ball away continues! Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and hoping for a different outcome. With Murphy now in charge why does this insanity continue?
In wet and windy conditions we should try running the ball from our own half?

Ulster had a rookie at fullback. We got some early joy applying pressure to him. In the second half we barely had the ball and had to scramble it away when we did.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

brooksey845 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:37 pm I thought Bakewell had simplified our line out to make it more simple?
Yeah we just throw it to the opposition now, it saves time.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm
G.K wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:10 pm Well after a good win at Saints last week it was back to the same old, negative, brain dead Rugby. Never looked like scoring after the early penalty. If the team could just learn one simple thing - you can't win by aimlessly hoofing it to the opposition when in an attacking position. It's rinse and repeat. I predict no play-offs again this year.
MOC has gone but the clueless kicking the ball away continues! Insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and hoping for a different outcome. With Murphy now in charge why does this insanity continue?

Ulster had a rookie at fullback. We got some early joy applying pressure to him. In the second half we barely had the ball and had to scramble it away when we did.
Well running it occasionally didn't do Ulster that much harm did it!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Focus on the words "when in an attacking position". Happens far too often and is ineffective.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 pm

The Ulster tries came from turnovers where they kicked down field. Either penalty or down the field and pressurise. Get lineouts build the phases.

What annoyed me was the errors when wed put ourselves in good positions. Knock one or turnovers because we were slow getting to the breakdown. Time after time we let Ulster off the hook.

The only kick that annoyed me was the drop goal before half time. In those conditions it was always going to be high risk. I'd much rather we'd kept turning the screw. See if we could force a penalty close to the line and take the scrum.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Rookie? So what does that make Holmes then??
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

While I dont agree with some idiots on here, you're spot on. I have spent seasons on the Terrace shouting "stop kicking possession away" and "can't score without the ball". Worst offender BY, but obvious playbook from Meyer's day.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 pm

The Ulster tries came from turnovers where they kicked down field. Either penalty or down the field and pressurise. Get lineouts build the phases.

What annoyed me was the errors when wed put ourselves in good positions. Knock one or turnovers because we were slow getting to the breakdown. Time after time we let Ulster off the hook.

The only kick that annoyed me was the drop goal before half time. In those conditions it was always going to be high risk. I'd much rather we'd kept turning the screw. See if we could force a penalty close to the line and take the scrum.
Leicester have been making those same errors for a long time.
Its a welcome surprise when the errors are kept down and they actually do execute more accurately these days.
You control what you can in my opinion and if you win then it's the right tactic and if you lose then obviously it's the wrong tactic.
MOC was slated for kicking the ball away too much.
They were alright for a while today (although it was :censored: to watch) and then as is usually the case the consistency went awol!
By the way it might not be a bad idea for Leicester to take the scrum option at penalties if they aren't going to kick for goal because the line out and maul just isn't doing it!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Rookie? So what does that make Holmes then??
It took Ulster until the second half to realise that Holmes was a winger with suspect positioning at 15 and that Owolofela was a rookie on the wing. A lot of our problems in the second half came from us only having one player back covering far too much space. Too easy to put it in behind and pressure. That's when we started losing the tactical battle and started to see less and less of the possession.
BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:29 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:14 pm
BFG wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:00 pm Well running it occasionally didn't do Ulster that much harm did it!

Leicester have been making those same errors for a long time.
Its a welcome surprise when the errors are kept down and they actually do execute more accurately these days.
You control what you can in my opinion and if you win then it's the right tactic and if you lose then obviously it's the wrong tactic.
MOC was slated for kicking the ball away too much.
They were alright for a while today (although it was :censored: to watch) and then as is usually the case the consistency went awol!
By the way it might not be a bad idea for Leicester to take the scrum option at penalties if they aren't going to kick for goal because the line out and maul just isn't doing it!
No MOC was slated for being in the job for about 18 months having had two preseasons and not being able to organise an attacking structure or a defence. Hell all we had under him was a scrum and that's only because of Boris.

I have no idea why when 10m out we kicked to the corner. Scrum, scrum and scrum again. Try and milk a yellow card or two. If nothing else attacking off the back of a scrum marching forward would stop the flankers coming to the rescue of the midfield that was struggling to contain Manu.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 pm
While I dont agree with some idiots on here, you're spot on. I have spent seasons on the Terrace shouting "stop kicking possession away" and "can't score without the ball". Worst offender BY, but obvious playbook from Meyer's day.
At least when we did it under Meyer though, we chased (well Moody and Scott did), and could choke the ball at ruck time.

You can see that the message is coming from the coaches, but the players revert to type. We come out the blocks, fluff, and then go nah we can't do it...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100