Ulster v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Ulster v Tigers

Post by ourla »

Tigers are probably going to have a put in a defensive shift so Saturday @ Twickenham was probably good prep!

Hard to know what to make of Ulster whose form this season doesn't appear to have been great.

Should have a few boys back but may have lost one or two after Saturday also.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Ulster v Tigers

Post by Soggypitch »

It will be a tough ask, but with their poor form, we have a chance.

If Telusa is fit I'd play him on the wing in place of May and keep Jonah at FB, he was a revelation!

BOC could come into the back row, or on the bench, let's hope Denton's going to be ok. Mappalagi was all over the place defensively.

Is Spencer available? Did anyone else notice that Harry Wells got into the Telegraph's team of the week? Well deserved.
I think Eastmond would have been close, but for an exceptional performance by Mills for Wuss.

Probably not too many other changes if everyone is fit.

Looking forward to it, I like a 5.30 Saturday KO.
Soggypitch
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pmIs Spencer available?
Sure Spencer has one more week to sit out, 4 week ban after wasps = unavailable for Wuss, Sale, Saints....Ulster.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

ourla wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:58 am Tigers are probably going to have a put in a defensive shift so Saturday @ Twickenham was probably good prep!

Hard to know what to make of Ulster whose form this season doesn't appear to have been great.

Should have a few boys back but may have lost one or two after Saturday also.
It was a mighty shift in those conditions but we did ship three tries to a team with far less to offer in attack than Ulster. My major concern is the lineout in both attack and defence, both are woeful at the moment.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pm It will be a tough ask, but with their poor form, we have a chance.

If Telusa is fit I'd play him on the wing in place of May and keep Jonah at FB, he was a revelation!

BOC could come into the back row, or on the bench, let's hope Denton's going to be ok. Mappalagi was all over the place defensively.

Is Spencer available? Did anyone else notice that Harry Wells got into the Telegraph's team of the week? Well deserved.
I think Eastmond would have been close, but for an exceptional performance by Mills for Wuss.

Denton won't be fit
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

There would be not a lot I would change at all unless forced to by injuries. Agree with leaving Holmes at full back and Veainu on the wing if fit. Toomua on the bench instead of Ford. Denton would be in if fit with O'Connor on the bench and the front row reps I would leave the same unless TPN is fit and then I would have him on the bench. I was very impressed with the 2 rep props especially Heyes - he is going to be very very good indeed in the future. Kitchener would come into the reckoning if fit but I would probably have him on the bench as well. Looking forward to another great time in Belfast - any pub suggestions?????
Hehehehehehehehe
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I'd go with this team assuming BOC and Veainu are fit and Denton isn't

1. Bateman
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Williams
5. Wells
6. Thompson
7. BOC
8. Kalamafoni

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Veainu
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi
14. Thompstone
15. Holmes

16. TPN/Stevens/McMillan
17. Feao
18. Heyes
19. Lewis
20. Mapapalangi
21. Harrison
22. Toomua
23. Olowofela
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

1 - Bateman
2 - OTY (c)
3 - Cole
4 - Williams
5 - Wells
6 - Mapapalangi (I’ll give the bloke a chance)
7 - Thompson
8 - Kalamafoni
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - Thompstone
12 - Eastmond
13 - Tuilagi
14 - Veainu
15 - Holmes
16 - Polota-Nau
17 - Fe’ao
18 - Heyes
19 - Lewis
20 - O’Connor
21 - Harrison
22 - Toomua
23 - Olowofela
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pm It will be a tough ask, but with their poor form, we have a chance.

Denton is not going to be fit
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Agree with Holmes at 15 again.

Veainu on the wing is also a good shout.

Toomua at 22 to cover 10 and 12 - centre combo of Eastmond & Manu is building so no reason to switch it.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:39 pm

Denton won't be fit
Do you know this for certain Chobbsy or are saying it because he failed the HIA on Saturday, as the protocols have changed recently
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Much as I admire Jp14 sentiment about sticking with Mapapalanga this is our best chance of getting away points in Europe therefore I wouldn’t risk him.
Depending on the availability of another 2nd row to join Wells, who was immense on Saturday I would even consider moving Williams back to 6.
Totally agree about Veianu and Toomua
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Outside chance of May being available. According to Daily Mail he has suffered bruising to the anterior cruciate joint in right shoulder but no break or serious damage showed on scan. So it depends on how bad the bruising is.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

May should be rested as his injury won’t clear up in a week. Ulster, as we all know, rarely underperform at home especially against Tigers. With injuries galore a losing bonus point and not conceding 4 tries would be a very good result for us then target Scarlets. I just see Europe as a bonus this season with a chance to get things right for the Gallagher Premiership.
Take the pressure off of the players and let them really enjoy the experience then if we start to do well new targets can be set.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I thought we didn't have a prayer against saints and to be honest feel the same this week. But hey. We have hope. We have skills And we have found heart. Come on guys. Let em have it.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"